fishorsechess
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
I recently wrote a post mentioning that a friend of mind
stated to me that horseplayers are one level above
child molesters. When he stated this to me it was tongue
and cheek. He stated this to me many times and every time
I knew he was joking and exaggerating his point. I guess I
was a bit bored when I posted it that day and should have
given more thought as to who would be reading it.
Yesterday, a good friend of mine who I met through horseracing
stated the Queen of England handicaps horses. Friends of
mine are handicappers and I was seriously into the Sartin
Methodology years ago and knew alot of the Sartin people.

Speed Figure
05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you! I was to HOT to get in that topic.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Thank You Fishorsechess! :)

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 03:46 PM
You are forgiven but you are obviously still bored. I suggest you sleep til about 1 pm eastern tommorrow when racing resumes. :D :lol: :rolleyes:

iggy
05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Yesterday, a good friend of mine who I met through horseracing
stated the Queen of England handicaps horses. .

There is no Queen of England and whoever is the Queen doesn't handicap horses. Maybe you should be more fussy in choice in friends.

hurrikane
05-31-2005, 04:56 PM
I would still like to know your opinion.

I dont' by the f-ing 'my friend said' bs.

what a coward.

Buckeye
05-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Michael Jackson is not a racing fan.

as far as I know.

Zman179
05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, if you ask me I would consider the majority of horseplayers (except in the UK) to be the dredge of humanity so I perfectly understand fishorsechess' statement. I've stated it to my wife...who's only confirmed what I've said just by entering an NYCOTB branch and seeing what no-job-wanting bums hang out there on a daily basis. She still doesn't understand why I still go in there.

In England it's a totally different ball of wax. Yeah you'll see the occasional compulsive gambler in a betting shop, but you'll also see upper and upper-middle class individuals treating a day to the races like a special thing, dressed up and all (and not just for Royal Ascot). I don't feel ashamed there to have an open racing post (form) on the train.

Bruddah
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Over the forty years, I have enjoyed this hobby, I have taken friends, family and business associates, on special outings, to the track. All enjoyed the day(s) without exception. Yes, the whole spectrum of society was represented. Some of that spectrum have become friends over the years, some have not.

The vast majority of those indivuals are honest, hard working individuals that enjoy horses and/or handicapping the race. (JMHO)

the little guy
05-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, if you ask me I would consider the majority of horseplayers (except in the UK) to be the dredge of humanity so I perfectly understand fishorsechess' statement. I've stated it to my wife...who's only confirmed what I've said just by entering an NYCOTB branch and seeing what no-job-wanting bums hang out there on a daily basis. She still doesn't understand why I still go in there.

In England it's a totally different ball of wax. Yeah you'll see the occasional compulsive gambler in a betting shop, but you'll also see upper and upper-middle class individuals treating a day to the races like a special thing, dressed up and all (and not just for Royal Ascot). I don't feel ashamed there to have an open racing post (form) on the train.So, let me try and be clear, the NYCOTB customers represent the majority of horseplayers in the US? And, this " majority of horseplayers " represent the " dredge of humanity " on the entire planet ( or solar system ) save the UK?

And, since the upper and upper-middle class like to go the races in England, and apparantly not here, you are therefore unashamed to be caught publically with a Racing Form/Post when you go to England, while I guess we are to assume you are ashamed to be seen with one here? What do you do, hide it inside a copy of Hustler?

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
You know you're a serious handicapper if the only time Hustler gets you aroused is when the naked women are shown reading a Racing Form! :D

Zman179
05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
So, let me try and be clear, the NYCOTB customers represent the majority of horseplayers in the US? And, this " majority of horseplayers " represent the " dredge of humanity " on the entire planet ( or solar system ) save the UK?

Yeah.
It has to deal with perception. The bottom line is that the majority (not all, but the majority) of people who attend racetracks tend to be undesirables who usually dress and act the part.

And, since the upper and upper-middle class like to go the races in England, and apparantly not here, you are therefore unashamed to be caught publically with a Racing Form/Post when you go to England, while I guess we are to assume you are ashamed to be seen with one here? What do you do, hide it inside a copy of Hustler?

What, do you think I'm stupid? How dare you insinuate that I do such a thing?!?

I use Cheri magazine. If anyone asks, it's of course for the articles (when there are some).

hurrikane
05-31-2005, 09:39 PM
in every city in the world there is a sewer. And a museum.

point is I guess it depends on where you go at the track/OTB. there are top shelf ones and the scurge. let me guess where you are going?

Suff
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Betting horses is the most dignified thing I do. :ThmbUp: :ThmbDown: ?

socantra
05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Where do your friend's children live?

socantra...

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
"Well, if you ask me I would consider the majority of horseplayers (except in the UK) to be the dredge of humanity".
I guess you have never been to A.A. bingo!

The Judge
05-31-2005, 11:44 PM
I guess it's O.K to go to the track if you know you are going to lose but not if you think it's beatable. During the day numerous groups are taken down to the winners circle and they get their pictures taken with the jocks (in days gone by it would be with the horse and jock). These groups are nurses, investors, tech companies, soroities and fraternities, photograhpy groups, housing developers and on and on. They are even listed in the program. They are playing the horses.

Skanoochies
06-01-2005, 12:40 AM
SUFF, "Betting horses is the most dignified thing I do!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed. :jump:

Zman179
06-01-2005, 02:27 PM
in every city in the world there is a sewer. And a museum.

point is I guess it depends on where you go at the track/OTB. there are top shelf ones and the scurge. let me guess where you are going?

Scurge city, baby! Even when I go to Aqueduct/Belmont, it's the same thing. Old men screaming at tv sets, patrons smoking cigarettes & cigars (even though there is a total smoking ban) and the "ganja" boys on the 3rd floor grandstand, men who think that soap is optional, stoopers, etc. Hey, don't get me wrong. I go to the track and play the ponies just like you guys and have been doing so for 23 years. But the perception of racetrackers to non-fans is that the track is filled with either retirees or bums who don't work and hang out at the track on a weekday afternoon. And I essentially have the same opinion, sorry if I'm the unpopular man of the moment.

And no Kenwood, I've never been to an A.A. meeting :lol:

Zman179
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
By the way, true story that happened about an hour ago.

I was on the subway heading home when I ran into a knowingly opinionated co-worker that I fairly know who was going home on the same train. She took one look at the closed racing form (oops, forgot the Cheri) that I had on the seat and she promptly blurted out in a snidely tone:

"You play the horses?!? Gimme a break!"

I would have preferred it if she had used a softer tone in her voice since everybody in car 5584 now knows that I play the horses. :lol:

hurrikane
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
if you're ashamed - quit.

Zman179
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
if you're ashamed - quit.

Tell that to men who like to be dominated by women in leather with whips & chains. They enjoy themselves and try to keep it secret.

Racing's the same for me...but without the chains.

hurrikane
06-01-2005, 09:54 PM
uhh...that's a little too much information

you should likely take that over to the off topic section. :eek:

Tom
06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
He got away with posting it AGAIN! :bang:

Zman179
06-02-2005, 04:45 AM
:lol:

thelyingthief
06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
I do not remotely feel a "dreg" at the Mirage race and sports book, nor at the Las Vegas Hilton's. I feel a "dreg" at the Cal-Neva.

I also feel a "dreg" at Suffolk Downs, especially when I witness some clown shouting to the heavens while his 7 to 2 comes home.

But then, I occasionally feel a "dreg" when I peruse the posts on this website. Too many of its contributors lack the mindset to handicap the ponies--or, indeed, anything else--with any measure of real success, what with its myriad demands for psychological sophistication and unflinching discipline in anyone who seeks to master it. I cannot help but define "dreg" as a man with a losing mindset. I never met a loser yet who in some obvious or not so obvious way cut himself off from his higher functions, and behaved in just as sordid, arrogant, and cynical a fashion as the lowliest in our midst.

KingChas
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Where do your friend's children live?

socantra...

This scares me more than Fishers post.Is this in jest or does it have an underlying meaning?

DirtTrack
06-02-2005, 12:56 PM
"Apology toward those offended " is the thread title but I do not see one here:ThmbDown:

I am pretty new to this site and really enjoy most of the information and posts. fishorsechess is the exception.

PA - I agree with most of your replies to the idiot - why not ban him for insulting horseracing, handicappers and everyone who views this site?

fishorsechess - act like a man and give a true "Apology" if you're going to say you are. This thread looks the same as my 5 year old would make excuses for something they did wrong (pushing the blame on others instead of admitting the wrong). I teach him better than that - guess no one did for you. Here I will show you how one goes:

I am sorry to everyone on this site for lowering myself to the $25 maiden/claiming ranks of fishorsechess:blush:

See it's not that hard....

fishorsechess
06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
The apology is located on page 1. You are looking at
only page 2 of the thread. I am assuming you overlooked
it because you are new.

Bruddah
06-02-2005, 04:04 PM
We all are a bunch of 'sick puppies' or degenerate low life child molesters. I prefer the former over the latter. Especially, if you are going to paint all horse lovers with a broad brush.

Personally, I think some of you have a low self image and prefer to look at others and consider them part of the same ilk. Not me bruddah!! :bang: :D

JustRalph
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
"Apology toward those offended " is the thread title but I do not see one here:ThmbDown:

I am pretty new to this site and really enjoy most of the information and posts. fishorsechess is the exception.

PA - I agree with most of your replies to the idiot - why not ban him for insulting horseracing, handicappers and everyone who views this site?

fishorsechess - act like a man and give a true "Apology" if you're going to say you are. This thread looks the same as my 5 year old would make excuses for something they did wrong (pushing the blame on others instead of admitting the wrong). I teach him better than that - guess no one did for you. Here I will show you how one goes:

I am sorry to everyone on this site for lowering myself to the $25 maiden/claiming ranks of fishorsechess:blush:

See it's not that hard....

Four posts and he comes right after you with a high hard one. No slider, no close curve........right at the head........WOW~!:eek:

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
You noticed too, eh?

Suff
06-02-2005, 07:43 PM
its generally the way many members jump in. You have to have personailty and gumption to elbow your way into a crowd. This can be a crowded place.

I was noticing this week, that something like 200-250 people were surfing the board during the day. Triple Crown I guess. Theres a 100 people on here from 10 in the morning till 10 at night. Weekends 200-250 all day. I don't know who they all are because 3/4'rs of them do not have users names. Sideline sitters. The people who jump in have nerve.

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2005, 07:45 PM
They're not all "people" Many of them (I'd estimate at least half the guests, maybe more) are "bots" from search engines, crawling all over this site.

Suff
06-02-2005, 07:48 PM
They're not all "people" Many of them (I'd estimate at least half the guests, maybe more) are "bots" from search engines, crawling all over this site.

I thought that....But here on the outpost ...I'd figured they'd do that work at night. Less Bandwidth. Who knows.

Are you figuring? Or hunching....thats the %'s? You think you have a 100 spiders on this little burg?

Kreed
06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I never feel cheap because I love gambling horses. I don't see the logic.
I also play slots & when I go to AC or Vegas I NEVER feel anything but 100%
crazy happy. Last year I had a Derby party & had ~60 guests, most non-players. Everyone bet (in my OTB acct) & when I called the crazy bets in
the agent & me just bonded with hilarity. I was on the phone about 15 mins.
I keep the DRF on my desk in full view mostly because I just don't notice it.
And as far as guys screaming etc so what. Americans are not at Ascot Downs.
hehe & that 3rd Floor at Aqueduct -- with them Jamaicans w/ weed is just too
funny almost unbeleivable & MaN i just gotta get my wiFFS in. So, screw the
non-players & educate them if you want, but just go about having fun.

JustRalph
06-02-2005, 08:56 PM

There is a new one out that is harvesting member lists and user names ,then "googling" the user names until..... they hit other links that match and then look for an email in "their database" eventually they get user names and email addresses for about 30% of what their bots harvest. they build up lists with matches to where they found the data and sell it. The next time you get something about horse racing in your email.........it may have come from a bot that linked you up via 3 or 4 boards and a newsgroup or two..........

Suff
06-02-2005, 09:02 PM
There is a new one out that is harvesting member lists and user names ,then "googling" the user names until..... they hit other links that match and then look for an email in "their database" eventually they get user names and email addresses for about 30% of what their bots harvest. they build up lists with matches to where they found the data and sell it. The next time you get something about horse racing in your email.........it may have come from a bot that linked you up via 3 or 4 boards and a newsgroup or two..........

I've been battling Arura for two weeks , have you heard of it? ...I'ts bunkered down. I thought I had it killed about 6 times...and it gets started on me and its catch up again. Pesky Mother

andicap
06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
I never feel cheap because I love gambling horses. I don't see the logic.
I also play slots & when I go to AC or Vegas I NEVER feel anything but 100%
crazy happy. Last year I had a Derby party & had ~60 guests, most non-players. Everyone bet (in my OTB acct) & when I called the crazy bets in
the agent & me just bonded with hilarity. I was on the phone about 15 mins.
I keep the DRF on my desk in full view mostly because I just don't notice it.
And as far as guys screaming etc so what. Americans are not at Ascot Downs.
hehe & that 3rd Floor at Aqueduct -- with them Jamaicans w/ weed is just too
funny almost unbeleivable & MaN i just gotta get my wiFFS in. So, screw the
non-players & educate them if you want, but just go about having fun.

Derek, I'm hurt you didn't invite anyone from the board to your Derby party --- Are you ashamed of your online racing acquaintances? Would we not fit in with your Masters of the Universe Wall Street buddies or pseudo-hip, club poseurs?

(Actually, we probably wouldn't!)

Next year I'm having a Derby party and New Rochelle and everyone is invited -- even you Derek. :D :D ;) ;)

I know no one would come because NYC people hate to travel "upstate" unless its on vacation.

shanta
06-02-2005, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=andicap]
Next year I'm having a Derby party and New Rochelle and everyone is invited -- even you Derek.

I'll come Andi and will stop and bring some "Greasy Nick's" burgers and piss clams !

Richie :)

hurrikane
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM

oh man, now I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me...aggghhhh :eek:

DirtTrack
06-03-2005, 10:32 AM
The apology is located on page 1. You are looking at
only page 2 of the thread. I am assuming you overlooked
it because you are new.

NOPE - read it all - no apology just excuses for what you said.