PDA

View Full Version : Danica Patrick unfair weight advantage compared to horseracing weight handicaps

fishorsechess
05-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey it's Indy 500 Day, today and the story that caught my eye was
about the 23 year old driver(who has a good chance to win) having
a weight advantage over the other drivers. Why don't they handicap
her by adding 100 lbs to her car like they do in horseracing? See that
is what it takes to gain the attention of the public is a good looking
woman that is competing against men. Maybe we can find some
good looking jockeys to attract more attention to horseracing.

DJofSD
05-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Go, Danica, Go!

blind squirrel
05-29-2005, 04:23 PM
it's a good thing BOBBY FRANKEL got into horses rather than
horsepower,can you imagine how much he'd be whining about
how "unfair" this is?.....oh by the way how did a.j. foyt win
so many INDY'S,he could barely squeeze his fat ass into the car!

rrbauer
05-29-2005, 07:26 PM
I know lots of guys who need to lose some weight (myself included) and some of the Indy drivers qualify, too. Too bad 600 horses can't deal with that extra lard, er yard, in the driver's seat.

JustRalph
05-29-2005, 08:24 PM
She was fun to watch today. Rahal Letterman is located near my home. Big story around here.

Valuist
05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Speaking of Foyt, he won quite a few races in "our" sport. His son trained for him back in the 80s.

Maybe some of the poor journeymen riders in horse racing have another career option now.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm really happy for her, and their sport.

It took until she came along for them to come up with the driver weight issue? Sheesh. You'd think someone would have been going toward 150-175 pound drivers instead of 200+. Yes, there could be a new career for those journeymen (and women) jockeys now.

Ack! Just watch. The good jockeys will all go to Indy Racing and NASCAR, and the rest will stay on horseback. :bang:

Still think driving skill, and basically the trip: 200 hopefully fast and clean laps around a 2.5 mile track. Skill, ability and driving tactics have got to be more important. If she's going 220 mph and there is a car right in front of her, she won't go up to 221 mph that she supposedly could be going without running into it the other cars back end, and wipe them both out. Seems to me weight only affects speed when the absolute maximum performance is being delivered.

It's all about each driver and their car getting to the finish line first. And of course that requires having a great sponsor and racing team suporting you with a great vehicle.

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Excuse me for my stupidity, but doesn't the fact that Indy cars have slightly more than 1 horsepower make any difference to lessen the effect of weight? Maybe harness drivers can answer as to sitting on top of wheels vs. on the tbred.

OTM Al
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Weight is an issue in those cars but only in so much as the minimum by the rules weight for the car and getting the proper balance in the car for the weight of the driver. Those cockpits are custom to the particular driver. Many drivers are on the small side as well.

Valuist
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
I've got it; we've got a new career for Shane Sellers. Maybe he can quit bitching and moaning now.

Lasix1
05-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Excuse me for my stupidity, but doesn't the fact that Indy cars have slightly more than 1 horsepower make any difference to lessen the effect of weight?
Weight in Indy car racing isn't primarily about speed, it's about fuel. Gordon's petty complaint about Danica's alleged 'advantage' is that her diminutive size means that she is able to go faster longer, thereby extending her allotment of fuel.

Ever since fuel restrictions were put on Indy Cars years ago, the name of the game has been managing fuel. In fact, weight is so important that Indy Cars have a minimum weight to see to it that no one comes up with a lighter car with the same engine that would give it's team a competitive edge.
Gordon is theoretically right, though he made an ass of himself by raising the issue right after Danica's magnificent run. What's she supposed to do: lard up for the next race? Whether he is practically right or not, I'll leave to the engineering types. The advantage might be so marginally small as to be practically non-existent.

If it is important, then Fishorsechess' suggestion that they handicap the cars by making lighter drivers carry more weight, as they do in horseracing, is the perfect solution.

Either way, Gordon's an ass---lard and otherwise.

JustRalph
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
I am pretty sure Gordon made his comments before Danica made her run on Sunday. He also has a good point. Several other drivers agreed with him. Most other series come up with their weight measurements with the drivers weight included. Danica does have a minor advantage. In a sport where you can change the fuel richness during the race, it probably does make a difference somewhere along the way.

Funny, the Indy car drivers complain about these small details and they pride themselves on fractions but some of the closest finishes in auto racing the last few years have come in Nascar racing...............witness last Sunday Night....

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/images/gallery/0512HH8922bg%2Ejpg

Lasix1
06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Funny, the Indy car drivers complain about these small details and they pride themselves on fractions but some of the closest finishes in auto racing the last few years have come in Nascar racing...............witness last Sunday Night....

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/images/gallery/0512HH8922bg%2Ejpg
That was a hell of a finish, JR!

But for all that mechanical horsepower, for my money it didn't match the excitement of the four-horse blanket won by Supah Blitz in the G3 Lone Star Handicap on Memorial Day. Supah Blitz won by a nose over Cryptograph who was second by a nose over Absent Friend, who was 3rd by a nose over Lion Tamer.

Sorry I don't have a picture of it.