PDA

View Full Version : Did YOU learn anything?

rrbauer
05-05-2002, 01:10 PM
In the aftermath of the Derby and all that goes with it I would like to point back to two (2) posts that are worthy of review by everyone who hangs out here and is not convinced that he/she knows everything there is to know.

First: in the "General Racing Discussion" section,
the thread, A "sheet" look at the Derby + breeding notes ,
by bdhsheets, spells out some breeding angles that I wasn't aware of but that helped me in my final analysis yesterday. I actually printed this out and read it again at the track.

Second: in the "General Handicapping Discussion", a post in the thread, WAR EMBLEM , by tanda, discusses how the pace profiles of the top derby contenders would allow for a wire-to-wire winner; and, how this years pace scenario differs from last years (when a 45 and change 1/2 mile had the front-runners puking by the 3/8 pole). I think that many of us still had last year's early ding-dong in our minds and were downgrading WAR EMBLEM as a result.

These two posts said nothing about either poster's picks. Yet, they said everything about who would; and, wouldn't win the race.

justin
05-05-2002, 02:54 PM
I learned that the "wiseguy" horse is generally one of the worst bets in the Derby year in and year out. With Saarland hammered from 15-1, I only had to worry about betting one horse to win. Thankfully, I didn't let any of the hype dissuade me from a horse I've liked since his Illinois Derby win. $43.00 winner...life is good! Btw, I think you are 100% correct when saying memory of last year's pace probably affected peoples' view of this year's Derby. Unfortunately for those people, none of the horses in last year's edition were running in the Derby this year.

Tom
05-05-2002, 06:37 PM
There were some very good posts both here and at HTR's webpage giving insights in to the Derby and different people won coming at the race from different angles. tha's why horseracing is such a great game-even when everyone has the same information to work with, they work it differently. We can all learn something new from our associates and these two boards are the place to do it.
Unfortunately, I was able to filter out everything useful posted this year and get a 4th place finish as my best. Good thing they were running claimers at Finger Lakes yesterday....I got some of the cash back. Come Preakness day, I am driving to Fort Erie for the day - Labatt's at the Flats day.