PDA

View Full Version : How Important are Announcers?

TrackManSam
05-28-2005, 05:20 PM
In everyones honest opinion, just how important is it for a track to have a good announcer? And, if you owned a racetrack, would it be one of your top priorities to make sure you have a good, exciting and accurate announcer in the booth? I am just curious because it seems at alot of these tracks, they just assume put anybody up there,and don't care how boring or bad he is. Thoughts?

betovernetcapper
05-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Up until a few years ago, Kee didn't even have an announcer. The thinking was that one should be able to follow ones own horse.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2005, 07:38 PM
I think they are somewhat important, as they give a bit of a brand recognition to your track and/or circuit...

When you think of Trevor Denman, you think California racing at Santa Anita and Del Mar. When you think of Tom Durkin, you think NYRA, as well as the Breeders' Cup and Triple Crown (as of lately).

kenwoodallpromos
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I am a csual track goer- decent is fine with me, but I would like to hear some between-race announcements- like shoes, reasons for scratches, who will be signing autographs after the races. But that might interfere with the simulcast race calls, assuming they can be heard at all! :confused:

skate
05-29-2005, 02:09 PM
just about all announcers are fine with me, cept that guy up in N. Cal..

ill jump to turn down
down
down
the sound.

on the other hand, i dont play the trots, i ll tune into a race that Leaderman (?) calls.

and such things as fronts(new, on/off) should be noted, my opinion.

Buckeye
05-29-2005, 02:26 PM
"It's not a battle, it's a War!" :)

Lasix1
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Announcers are crucial to the creation of a racing culture at any track. Firing them with the rapidity of Yankee managers before Steinbrenner wised up assures no continuity with which the average fan can identify.

Even staid old Keenland, after years of racing with no one announcing at all, finally gave in and hired the under-stated Kurt Becker to call the races. Now it's hard to think of Keenland without thinking of Becker's style.

Case in point: Terry Wallace at Oaklawn may not be the best race caller in the game, but he may well be the best announcer, track host, P.R. guy and all around glue that holds the place together of any announcer in racing. He probably knows nearly every race fan in Arkansas by name.

He is so synonymous with Oaklawn that the track will be hard-pressed to replace him when he finally decides to hang 'em up.