PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beats

JackS
05-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Casually mentioned in a recent thread I thought I'd inquire if any one else has had this experience lately.
I've had two in the last week!!. The first one occured a week ago Thursday at a simulcast venue in which I was ready to box two horses in a MCL'er. A firster with odds of 20+/1 with another mid priced horse. The simulcast venue has about 20 monitors featuring Harness, Dogs, TB's and Quarter horses.
I started for the automated teller machine with what I beleived to be about 5 minutes before the actual race.
On the way, I noticed a race running and instantly wondered what track. It turns out it was the track I intended to play.
I was watching the on-screen time on the wrong monitor at the wrong track. Loss- $250+.
Last night at the same facility, my 20-1 shot that I did bet, was taken down for some type of interference which was never explained via a re-run which was never shown. I also had the exacta with this horse but alas, it wasn't to be.
The first case was my fault, the second case, who knows. I probably could do a chart search but in the end, a waste of time.
These are my recent "bad beat " experiences and I know others have their own hard luck stories. Anyone?

kingfin66
05-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Santa Anita, January 25 or 26th, 2004. I was in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico at a horse/sports book. They had Santa Anita and Gulfstream on. I handicapped a race at couple of races at breakfast (much to my wife's annoyance) and headed off to the book for the afternoon's races. I loved two longshots in one of the races at Santa Anita and bet them both to win. Iggy Puglisi was on one by bombs and one the race at 19/1 odds. Right away, the inquiry light went on, then they showed the head on replay. It seems Iggy had plenty of horse, but no room to run. Solution: Make room by blasting through the two horses in front of him. How the outside horse stayed on its feet is a mystery to me he hit it so hard. Needless to say, they took him down - all the way to 3rd - and I lost my $400 payoff (for $20 bet). Would have been a net of $360 for the race. The bad part is that the replays show that Iggy had plenty of room to take the rail but decided to ram through the two horses instead.

This one gets me more than photo finishes because it was a BAD ride that caused the bad beat.

kenwoodallpromos
05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
I had to break the bad news to my wife that her longshot that crossed the wire first paid nothing because the jockey was left at the 1/2 mile pole!

Skanoochies
05-27-2005, 11:29 PM
I`ve been DQ`d, and moved up both over the years, but I seem to remember the DQ`s more for some reason. I guess it`s like the fish that got away. :lol:

fmhealth
05-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Yesterday at AP was one of the most frustrating days I've ever had. Zeroed-in on the early DD & pk-3. Threw out the false favorites in the first & second. My play a 10.00 double & 5.00 pk-3. Total outlay 15.00. Win the first easily at 3-1. The second is tight but my 5-1 pick wins by 2 lengths. DD is around 80 or 400 to start the day. OBJECTION. Please, a jockey's objection right at the 1/8 pole. The stewards saw nothing, so I'm not concerned. After a LONG deliberation, the board goes dark & I'm DQ'd.

At this point I'm really on "tilt". The horse I love in the 3rd is a GP turfer. My favorite angle. Looks magnificent in the paddock. Opens at 6-1, bet down to 3-1 & closes at 4-1. Box him with two others. He wins easily. I run 1-3-4. Collect NADA!!

After 46 years as a 'capper I should have handled the DQ with greater poise & simply bet the horse to win. In retrospect I was hoping that he'd lose so my pk-3 wager would have lost despite the dq in the 2nd. Poor judgement & a lack of disipline cost me a few hundred dollars. Not a good way to start the AP meet.

As a follow-up to all AP bettors. Bridgmohan riding for Robertson are clicking at about 70% winners so far at this meet. They are a combination to be taken very seriously. Also, Rebecca Maker is on a roll. Two for two the past two days. When this young lady gets hot,watch out!! She has won a large number of races on Fathers Day the past few years. You may want to watch for her, especially on that particular day.