PDA

View Full Version : par times

dutzman
05-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I was wondering the steps involved in calculating par times for each class and distance at the tracks I play. I figure that these times can be purchased somewhere but I was wondering if it would be worth my while to make my own. I am also interested in Beyer pars. And if someone could tell me if the word "par" and "average" are interchangeable. I have recently become more interested in speed handicapping and figured I need a good set of par times and Beyer pars. Thanks

BillW
05-24-2005, 09:32 PM
A problem you will run into is that only doing par times for the tracks you play will not be good enough. You will also need to cover all the tracks that appear in the pp's of the horses running at your tracks. Also Average does not necessarily mean par - I'll leave that explanation to those more experienced in the art.

Bill

JackS
05-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Dutz- You can easily make your own workable set of pars from a few Racing Forms. These working sets may not be as exact as others keeping records using DB's but will offer 90% of the same value.
Also you need not figure pars for every claiming class. The std. adjustment is 1 tick (0.2) between each class. Make a set of $10,000Cl pars for each track that ships into your home track using older horses.
Make a seperate set of pars for NWX 3yo.
EDIT: Almost forgot- Use only races rated fast and the TRV reasonable.

dutzman
05-25-2005, 12:57 AM
JackS- your post gives me more insight...however....and I do apologize for sounding like I don;t have a clue, but how exactly would I go about constructing these pars?

Dave Schwartz
05-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Dutzman,

Perhaps this will help?

http://www.horsestreet.com/products/pars/2005Pars/index.html

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

RXB
05-25-2005, 01:23 AM
You need to do a little edit on a headline on that page, Dave. "What's Knew..."

headhawg
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah Dave. I'll trade you some copy editing for your pars. :)

Dave Schwartz
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
LOL - Thanks. I will check it out.

kitts
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm quite content with the Cynthia Publishing par times. In addition to plenty of par times, it comes with a book explaining the utilization of par times and optional adjustments as well as their proprietary "WMF" figs.
http://www.cynthiapublishing.com

dutzman
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Dave-
Hey! I have visited your site before but never notcied this section. This is exactly what I am looking for....thanks!!

JackS
05-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Dave- Just read your "How to Make Good Pars". Excellent. For those willing to spend 25 bucks on "Get Rich Quick" methods that probably won't work at any level, here's real info and best of all, it's FREE!!!

JackS
05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Kitts- I also have a set of Cynthia Pars. I would assume that the Track Class Number printed to the right of each class level would be the equivilent of Dave's 100 starting point for 10,000CL. It appears the same but possibly a slightly different format?
Dave explained his methods. I don't recall Cynthia explaining theirs.
This is not to say they never did, just to say I don't remember seeing it.

kitts
05-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Jack S-
I used to know the answer to you Cynthia pars question but time passes and I forget. I suggest you call their support number and speak to Steve McIntosh-a very helpful guy.