PDA

View Full Version : helping keep the fillibuster

46zilzal
05-23-2005, 07:19 PM
campuses are getting grass roots support to keep this time honored thing around.
http://www.princeton.edu/%7Epetehill/filibuster.shtml

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
LOL. I just have to laugh at this stuff....as if these dudes CARE about whether or not the filibuster is important....what they CARE about, is being as anti-administration as possible.....

(And no, by posting this, I am NOT in any way endorsing the elimination of filibusters....I am merely offering up an opinion on those who are "grass-roots" organizing around this "time honored" thingy....:lol: )

46zilzal
05-23-2005, 08:00 PM
studnets have a sake in all of this and they POTENTIALLY vote. I voted for the first time as a senior...too bad it didn't count

Suff
05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
LOL. I just have to laugh at this stuff....as if these dudes CARE about whether or not the filibuster is important....what they CARE about, is being as anti-administration as possible.....

Why do you struggle with this so? I thought of a manner of articulation "you'd get"...

you like that?.. Numbers! Figures! Your a numbers guy, I forgot. Bush had 50 Million, Kerry 48.

40 Million on each side were lock votes. Each group found the opposition repulsive. Bush's 10 million swing, and Kerry's 8 million go away after the election, they only pay attention in the election year. The other 80 million make poltical war. Its America. BY DESIGN!!!

You get that? Vital OPPOSITION!! You say A, we say B. By Design!

Really Mike. Its the way they built it... I love it.

Tom
05-23-2005, 08:49 PM
What the dems are doing is trying to make it minority rules. The repubs have done it in the past.

It stinks to high heaven when either side does it. Filibuster denies us our representation. When the dems are in power, like it or not, I concede it their choice of what gets passed and whho gets appointed. They won....they deserve it because by winning, they represent the majority. These dems cannot admit defeat and will sink to any level to win, or avoid losing.
The filibuster is just plain wrong. The checks and balances the dems are calling the filibuster is incorrect - the check and balance was the election, which, of course, they lost. They moan that one party cannot be allowed to have too much power. How can the repubs have to much power when they keep winning fair and free elections - they have thepower that the MAJORITY of Americans want them to have. I agree withi one of their whines, though....undoing decades of so-called progress is just what we are looking for.

JustRalph
05-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Frist taking this deal will be the end of him.

I am glad you guys are so proud of filibuster's. I bet you are proud of the use of the filibuster against the civil rights act too.............by the Dems.

That was Al Gore's father who participated along with others.........

snippet:

The chief opponents were Democrat Senators Sam Ervin, of later Watergate fame, Albert Gore Sr., and Robert Byrd. Senator Byrd, a former Klansman whom Democrats still call "the conscience of the Senate", filibustered against the civil rights bill for fourteen straight hours before the final vote. The House of Representatives passed the bill by 289 to 126, a vote in which 79% of Republicans and 63% of Democrats voted yes. The Senate vote was 73 to 27, with 21 Democrats and only 6 Republicans voting no. President Johnson signed the new Civil Rights Act into law on July 2, 1964.

Tom
05-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Grand Wizzard Byrd was in the press conference announcing the compromise tonight. Looked naked without his white cap and gown. Here's a guy the dems can be proud of. Real proud. Great American. If you are white and want everyone else to be.

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
The Demos ran out of bananas!

Suff
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
"In order to have an enemy, one must be somebody. One must be a force before he can be resisted by another force. A malicious enemy is better than a clumsy friend."-Anne Swetchine

cj
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
studnets have a sake in all of this and they POTENTIALLY vote. I voted for the first time as a senior...too bad it didn't count

Couldn't muster up the strength to get that chad all the way out? :lol:

46zilzal
05-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Couldn't muster up the strength to get that chad all the way out? :lol:
1968 we used lines in the sand and the wind must have blown right when they looked my way.

Lefty
05-25-2005, 11:47 AM
The comprimise solves NOTHING! After these 3 are confirmed we're right in the same friggin boat as anybody else that the Pres nominates will be deemed extreme and therefore an extraordinary circumstance. This is why I don't like moderates. This is BAD!

Tom
05-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Senator Dodd the LCod is already using the filibuster to block Bolston's vote. Can't even trust those lying little twerps for 24 hours. What hippocrites.

The repubs have just to take off the gloves and beat these boys into the ground. America has spoken and they want the conservative leadership to run this country - it's time to live up to the election madate and start kicking ass and taking names.

Tom
05-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Less than 48 hours after hte so-called agreement, the senate is voting on cloture. What a pakc of bold faced liars the dems are. You can NEVER trust a thing any of them say.

I didn't think McCain could ever make hmself look more ridiculous than he already is, but he just proved me wrong.

Suff
05-26-2005, 10:27 PM
The comprimise solves NOTHING! After these 3 are confirmed we're right in the same friggin boat as anybody else that the Pres nominates will be deemed extreme and therefore an extraordinary circumstance. This is why I don't like moderates. This is BAD!

You bet it. Your right. Even if you nominate Mary Poppins we'll find a reason to oppose her. Too Extreme! :D You did'nt get it in writing Lefty! :lol: We gave our word that we would'nt Filibuster your next nominees unless we deemed them extreme?? :lol: And you believe us? They're deemed.

Plus, Bolton all but burned out entering the atmospehere today. He must of been thrown in on the deal. They're going to get to him "after vacation" ;)
He could'nt get an up or down today. He's been sacrficed to the Lib's.

The fact is------ who---- was talking about CHANGING the rules to get thier way. You can argue the existing rules. But Democrats stuck to thier guns. Nuclear Option anyone? lol. Nuke this.

Lefty
05-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah, right, suff. Repubs got to quit believing the lying cheating dems.Libs and moderates: Who needs em?

Tom
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
So justices that have decided it is legal to stick a vacum cleaner into the womb and tear apart a tiny baby's body are not extreme?!?!?!?!?

Lefty
05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Tom, what kind of pervert are ya? That's called a woman's choice. Never mind that in most cases they made their choice when they chose to have sex in the first place. It's us pro-lifer's that are extreme, don'tcha know...

Tom
05-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Oh, gosh, what was I thinking? Must have been a flashback to that liveral biased education I had when I was a kid. got to read more - it must be surfacing again!:lol: :lol: :lol:

46zilzal
05-28-2005, 08:36 PM
So justices that have decided it is legal to stick a vacum cleaner into the womb and tear apart a tiny baby's body are not extreme?
Why are the MOST ARDENT anit-abortionists men? those with the LEAST at stake are the most vocal and surely the most violent.. Strange...DO NOT MEAN YOU per se. but in general

Lefty
05-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Men have the least at stake? What kind of doctor ate ya? Didn't ya take biology? Men are as much responsible for babies as women and I don't like the idea that a father has no say in whether his son or daughter is slaughtered.

Tom
05-28-2005, 11:14 PM
It is a question of what is right and wrong. Not my personal stake , other than abortion weakens us as a society.

If you were walkking throught the park and saw some man raping a 10 year old, would you just keep walking, having no stake in the event?

46zilzal
05-28-2005, 11:52 PM
It is a question of what is right and wrong. Not my personal stake , other than abortion weakens us as a society.
If you were walking throught the park and saw some man raping a 10 year old, would you just keep walking, having no stake in the event?
Abortion is a choice the latter is not so they (other than a distant relationship to sex) have NOTHING in common

lsbets
05-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Abortion is a choice the latter is not so they (other than a distant relationship to sex) have NOTHING in common

You are correct, abortion is a choice for the woman, I doubt the baby (or fetus if you prefer) has much say in the matter. Hey, kind of like the example you gave Tom - it's a choice for one party in the event, but not for both.

For the record - I think abortion is wrong, but I am a pragmatist and think outlawing it would be a disaster (at the current time), however, I think that common sense restrictions are needed and right. None of that changes the fact that I consider abortion to be dead wrong in 99% of the cases where it is performed.

Tom
05-29-2005, 03:29 PM
46....murder is a choice too.

Invading Iraq was a choice, and the guy who made it had the support of the voting publice to do it. We re-elected him AFTER the invasion, therefore, the was was a choice that the majority of Americans favored.

Lefty
05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
lsbets, abortion was never outlawed in every state. It was a states rights issue. Now, all of a sudden, all the libs who blve so strongly in states rights don't blve abortion should be a states rights issue. And what's really loony is they blve it's okay for someone else to take our daughters across a state line for an abortion without telling us. I'm pragmatic too, and I know if abortion became a state by state issue again, less babies would be sucked down the drain.