PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Downs

cj
05-23-2005, 05:22 PM
What are they running on, concrete? Two world records in just over a year?

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=28273

http://espn.go.com/horse/news/2004/0417/1784642.html

46zilzal
05-23-2005, 05:50 PM
What are they running on, concrete?
Nature of the area? Longacres had some of the fastest track records as well

kingfin66
05-24-2005, 12:42 AM
I swear CJ, it's pissing me off. Sloppy track, pounding rain, it doesn't matter, the surface is a frickin' freeway. Early speed is king. Even in the really pressured races all it takes is for one speed horse to jump out to the lead and it's over. The closers have no chance. It makes it hard to handicap because most of the horses show early speed and you can't tell who will have the lead.

My feeling is that the track has been rolled very tight due to all the rain we've been having (yes, I live about 5 miles or so from Emerald). Next weekend should be dry, and I am anticipating a much fairer playing track.

I recall that Longacres also had some records before they tore it down.

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
I saw the results charts- sprints went fairly (wet)fast! I assume a sealedf track.
I also looked at the workouts- says the track was muddy. Whoever wrote that is a real comedian!LOL! I've been told looking for track speed by morning workouts is voodoo, so never mind. You can check that if you want.

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2005, 11:26 PM
When you adjust for track speed, Lost in the Fog was about 1/2 second faster.

Zaf
05-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Makes GG & TUP look like Calder :eek:

ZAFONIC

DarkDream
05-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Emerald Downs is a fairly interesting beast.

I've done some research on the track surface helped by Cynthia Publishing's par times.

I thought Golden Gate fields and Bay Meadows had fairly fast tracks, but my research showed (for 6f races on a fast surface) that they were slower than Emerald Downs by 1 second and 4/5ths of a second respectively.

I've also noticed that a wet-fast track hardly effects the speed of the horses in terms of speed figures.

It is interesting, but according to Cynthia Publishing 2005 pars, the Emerald Down track is not especially condusive to early speed horses. With their WMF (Winning Move factor) analysis they state:

"Not exactly a rock-hard paved superhighway fro streaking frontrunners. Plenty of just-off-the-pace scores right after the opening-half-mile at 4.5f and 5f, and most of all at 6.5f"

Interesting.

--DarkDream

CryingForTheHorses
05-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Makes GG & TUP look like Calder :eek:

ZAFONIC

The neat thing about Calders track is we still run during the monsoons without going down a cement hiway. IF you can win at Calder your horse can win anywhere in the country!!

kenwoodallpromos
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Which horse had the lowest odds?
Tom- I think I told you about the horse that was too slow for Fairgrounds so was shipped to Calder and won? It usually ran even lengths behind after a slow start.