PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred Angles

Sinner369
05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
There are many thoroughbred angles (factors) in handicapping dicussions.
I like to ask the readers how many thoroughbred angles can be applied to harness racing (sucessfully)? The angle I like to use is pace at the 3/4M. This is similar to the pace call at Q3 for route races in thoroughbreds. Are there others?

melman
05-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Third or fourth start back from a layoff, esp if horse showed improved ES in 2nd start back. Also the "bid-hung" angle that many t-bred author's site. Like a strong move (even better when uncovered) into a "hot" 3rd quarter. One of my favorites for longshots may not have anything in common with t-breds. That is the "locked in out late" angle. Horse's pp's would show 3rd or 4th position going to the 3rd quarter and if the leaders slow down and the stalkers gain control of the race the "locked in" horse has no where to pace. Have gotten some huge prices waiting for this.

Sinner369
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Agreed Melman:

I would classify this as trip handicapping. Thanks for the reply.

andicap
05-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Has anyone in harness tried either of these pace angles?

1. Final qtr plus fastest qtr. Basically looking for a horse who turned on the jets for a quarter and still had someting left in the lane.

2. Sum the two fastest quarters. Looking for horse who can best put a couple of good quarters together.

Use with common sense handicapping.....E.G. horse not sucked along, etc.

Sinner369
05-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Andicap:

Do you mean two consecutive quarters (first half, middle half, last half)?
Or sum any two quarters? ie, Q1 + Q3?

JustRalph
05-27-2005, 11:16 AM
try this one......... listen in before the race while the drivers decide who they are gonna let win............

andicap
05-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Andicap:

Do you mean two consecutive quarters (first half, middle half, last half)?
Or sum any two quarters? ie, Q1 + Q3?

Any two quarters

Tom
05-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Andy...interesting idea.

I think Melman told me once that he was looking at horses who made good Q3 moves at Med.