PDA

View Full Version : Question about sire stats

dutzman
05-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I was wondering where I could find a good sire stats book......I'm especially lookin' for a stats book on first time starters and firsters on the turf.......does anyone reference any type of these books??

Thanks

blind squirrel
05-21-2005, 09:36 PM
BRIS has several books,the ultimate is MAIDEN STATS,a
little pricey but has a wealth of pedigree info.

46zilzal
05-22-2005, 12:53 AM
I was wondering where I could find a good sire stats book .....
Will it help??? Indivdiuals are the racers and will present themsleves as such. Think about these: Snaaffi Dancer(N. Dancer), Imperial Falcon (N. Dancer), Jareer (N. Dancer) , Laa Etabb (Nijinsky), Tasmania Tiger (Storm Cat), Amijaad (Storm Cat), Alajwad (Sotrm Cat), Obligato (N. Dancer), Kings Consul (Kingmambo), Parlando (N. Dancer), Professor Blue (N. Dancer) Moon's Whisper (Storm Cat) Shah Jehan (Mr. Prospector), Foxboro (N. Dancer) etc... that's about $40 million right there, not to mention The Bride (you KNOW her full brother), or those liitle "gems" that defy breeding logic (John Henry) .

Fun to think about, not to practical to follow

RXB
05-22-2005, 01:09 AM
For someone who knows how and when to employ breeding knowledge, it's a huge advantage. Don't diss it just because it doesn't work for you.

Not everything in the game can be summed up by FPS and %E.

46zilzal
05-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Not everything in the game can be summed up by FPS and %E.
I have LONG held, and preach it OFTEN, that there is NO ONE WAY TO DO ANYTHING, however, I spent a VERY long time with this and found that it is MORE CONFUSING than worthwhile. Fun to talk about and GUESS about, but not rewarding. Then again I bet FEW grass races unless all participants have STARTED on the lawn and USUALLY at the same meet.

Babies, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY LOOK LIKE ON PAPER, take awhile to develope whatever aptitiude their geneology gave them. Then it comes down to the individual again. I must admit that I have to agree with my nemesis here D. Wayne in that it is the individual NOT it's parentage. Find it is just TOO theoretical to be practical.

Bathless
05-22-2005, 10:18 AM
I have been building a track-specific sires database for about 4 years. In it, I put the winner of every race, his or her sire and broodmare sire, the track, which course (main, turf, inner) and the track/course condition.

When handicapping, if a critter I fancy has a sire who is a leader at the track I'm looking at (for the specific course and track condition), I'll treat it as a 'capping positive. Sometimes, I'll just get a little extra nudge from believing that, if my horse doesn't win, it won't be because of his pedigree.

I don't use percentages -- too much work to gather the data and probably too confusing. This is simpler and is paying off more as my data grows. When they rebuild tracks, eg, LRL or GP, you have to start from scratch.

headhawg
05-22-2005, 10:45 AM
dutzman,

I just started to use Maiden Stats this year, and it is indeed pricey for what you get. The hidden gems in it are the dam stats. You might want to try the Mike Helm books: Exploring Pedigree, Sire Ratings 2005-2006, and Debut Sire Guide 2005. They are available through City Miner Books [(707) 964-8666; cminer@prodigy.net] and RPM Information Systems (1-800-696-0067). I've used them before and I felt that they gave me a slight edge but they are around $30-$35 each.

Mike Helm also has Turf Trainer and Debut Trainer guides. You have to know if a FTS is well meant, and whether a trainer can do anything on the grass.

Before the Tomlinson #s were published in the DRF I made an absolute killing on the turf with the Dan Serra's Turf and Mud rating book, also available through RPM. His numbers are also included in the ITS datafiles, or at least they used to be.

Good luck.

HH