PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't go there George

46zilzal
05-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Students and faculty to protest Christian school's commencement speaker
Detroit Free Press

Calvin College may be predominantly Republican, but a visit from President George W. Bush on Saturday is stirring up some discontent among students, faculty and alumni.

"By their deeds ye shall know them, says the Bible. Your deeds, Mr. President—neglecting the needy to coddle the rich, desecrating the environment, and misleading the country into war—do not exemplify the faith we live by." statment quote.

Secretariat
05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Students and faculty to protest Christian school's commencement speaker
Detroit Free Press

Calvin College may be predominantly Republican, but a visit from President George W. Bush on Saturday is stirring up some discontent among students, faculty and alumni.

"By their deeds ye shall know them, says the Bible. Your deeds, Mr. President—neglecting the needy to coddle the rich, desecrating the environment, and misleading the country into war—do not exemplify the faith we live by." statment quote.

Yes, even with screened Christian audiences he is having a tough time of it.

Here's a blurb from that article:

"We believe your administration has launched an unjust and unjustified war in Iraq," said a letter signed by about one-third the college's 300 faculty members and published in Saturday's Grand Rapids Press.

"As Christians, we are called to be peacemakers and to initiate war only as a last resort," it said.

The letter criticized economic policies that it said favored the wealthy over the poor, and faulted Bush for mixing religion and politics and exhibiting and "intolerance" for others' views.

It cited "conflicts between our understanding of what Christians are called to do and many of the policies of your administration."

The letter followed an earlier ad by students, alumni and faculty who said they were troubled that Bush was to be the commencement speaker.

Bush's speech emphasized community service and he urged graduates to volunteer. "This isn't a Democrat idea. This isn't a Republican idea. This is an American idea," he said.

Some graduating students wore buttons that said "God is not a Democrat or a Republican.""

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050521/ts_nm/bush_religion_dc

JustRalph
05-21-2005, 08:03 PM
How in the hell is it even news that 100 college professor types are against Bush? they are some of the most liberal bastards on the planet. The headline should read

"Only 1/3 of the the Professors signed"

ElKabong
05-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Dear liberal faculty members,

Our votes spoke louder than your protests and whines.

signed,
Red State Voters

p.s. say hello to Sean Penn for us, will you?

Secretariat
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
How in the hell is it even news that 100 college professor types are against Bush? they are some of the most liberal bastards on the planet. The headline should read

"Only 1/3 of the the Professors signed"

lol..1/3rd of the professors from a "Christian" college are "liberals"? Next I guess you'll be calling the Bob Jones University profs libs...Face it JR...He's having difficulty even in "screened" situations.

lol..this is Calvin Coolidge's unviersity...one of those bastions of liberalism.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Are you assuming in this case Sec (about the political background of the professors at this 'Christian' college)? Didn't someone recently admonish me for assuming something? That wasn't you, was it?

Tom
05-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Saw clips of the speech on the news tonight...the crowd was ROARING with laughter at his jokes about how they would somoeday cherish the grammar they learned at Calvin. They were applauding and cheering his general remarks.

That's the story....like it is most of the time....the majority and the vocal minority being two different groups.

Now, why wouldn't he go where he is well received by intellignet people? And appreciated for his humor by a group of successful people.

BTW, Grand Rapids......take that full page ad and wrap your meatloaf in it!:kiss:

ElKabong
05-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Huh, lookie here, some student (or faculty member??) tossed a copy of the koran down a toilet @ the college library. Wonder if Newsweek and the national media goes after the story?....NAH, it doesn't involve the US Military, so they'll blow it off. This story is 100 hrs old and hasn't been mentioned on a natl news program yet....amazing double standards used by the MSM.

http://www.recordnet.com/articlelink/052005/news/articles/052005-gn-2.php

STOCKTON -- A San Joaquin Delta College student discovered a copy of the Quran in a library toilet Wednesday evening, an incident similar to one described in a now-retracted news report that sparked Muslim protests worldwide last week.

Delta police wouldn't release the name of the student, whom they say found the Muslim holy book in the toilet of a second-floor men's bathroom in the library just after 7 p.m. Wednesday. Sgt. Geff Greenwood said the student removed the book from the toilet and placed it on a bathroom shelf before contacting the police.

The scenario mirrors one described in a retracted Newsweek article that led to deadly riots in Afghanistan and protests in other Muslim nations last week. That Newsweek article, citing unidentified sources, claimed interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a Quran down a toilet to intimidate detainees.-snip

ljb
05-22-2005, 07:38 AM
One thing you rightys seem to be overlooking here. Grand Rapids Michigan is the base of Bush's support in this state. A christian conservative stronghold. The fact that 1/3 of those christian college professors spoke out against Bush and his policies looms large. We all know Bush is dropping in the polls, with midterm elections coming up Bush is about to lose all that "political capitol" he thought he won in the last election. :jump: :jump: :jump:

Secretariat
05-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Are you assuming in this case Sec (about the political background of the professors at this 'Christian' college)? Didn't someone recently admonish me for assuming something? That wasn't you, was it?

Not at all. I was responding to JR's assertions that they were liberal at a highly Christian college. That to me is "assuming" something. Personally, I find it unlikley that the poltical makeup at Calvin Coolidge College faculty would match that of Berkeley, but since some here lump ALL university professors as all being of the same political persuasion then maybe JR wasn't assuming and that is his actual position. That being that even "conservative Christian" colleges have decided to hire ALL liberal faculty.

GameTheory
05-22-2005, 11:24 AM
lol..this is Calvin Coolidge's unviersity...one of those bastions of liberalism.No it isn't. Where'd you get that? Just made it up, I suppose?

It is named after John Calvin, founder of Calvinism (official name "Christian Reform Church"), the center of which happens to be Grand Rapids, MI.

Lasix1
05-22-2005, 09:52 PM
How in the hell is it even news that 100 college professor types are against Bush? they are some of the most liberal bastards on the planet.
This is one of the most embarrassingly inaccurate stereotypes I've ever read and regrettably characteristic of the left/right balderdash that passes for informed opinion on off-topic.

Having been a member of the Professoriate most of my life, I can tell you that while "liberals"--whatever that is--may dominate the social sciences and humanities (and demonstrate their fascist leanings in campus politics all the time) "conservatives"--whatever that is--are firmly in charge of Colleges of Business, Economics, Agriculture, J-Schools and Engineering, to say nothing of administration. In fact, these days they are in charge of most of the rest of campus life.

In the interests of full disclosure, I don't recognize my own politics in any of these debates. I'm an anti-totalitarian, and if you cherish freedom there is plenty to be concerned about from both camps.

Tom
05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Bush is going to be in Greece, NY Tuesday. 30 miles from me.
Imade a sign, and I am going to the airport to "greet" Air Force One.
The sign says....

Thank you 43
From
Sec and Ljb!

Go W Go

:lol: :jump: :lol:

JustRalph
05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
This is one of the most embarrassingly inaccurate stereotypes I've ever read and regrettably characteristic of the left/right balderdash that passes for informed opinion on off-topic.

Having been a member of the Professoriate most of my life, I can tell you that while "liberals"--whatever that is--may dominate the social sciences and humanities (and demonstrate their fascist leanings in campus politics all the time) "conservatives"--whatever that is--are firmly in charge of Colleges of Business, Economics, Agriculture, J-Schools and Engineering, to say nothing of administration. In fact, these days they are in charge of most of the rest of campus life.

In the interests of full disclosure, I don't recognize my own politics in any of these debates. I'm an anti-totalitarian, and if you cherish freedom there is plenty to be concerned about from both camps.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

Take it up with the post..........I know you can squawk about who funded the study etc........but this is just one example.........

College Faculties A Most Liberal Lot, Study Finds

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 29, 2005; Page C01

College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans

Lasix1
05-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Take it up with the post..........I know you can squawk about who funded the study etc........but this is just one example.........

I do take issue with how the study was funded as well as its self-identification methodology and implications.

The implication of the study is that we need more thought police on campus who will enforce what you regard as "conservative" ideas to off-set all those "liberals." Who would you extend this new affirmative action program to: Holocaust Deniers? Neo-Nazis? Ku Klux Klansmen?

If you want more "conservatives" on campus, which kind do you recommend? If you think "abortion" is a "conservative" issue you should know there are pro-choice nuns for heavens sake. If you think political conservatism points in only one direction on the issue of homosexuality, what would you do with the Log Cabin Republicans? If you think conservatives own the issue of fiscal responsibility, would you let any of the current architects of the Bush deficits within a mile of a classroom?

For another perspective on all of this, read: http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050404&c=1&s=jacoby

Besides, your endorsement of Kurtz' column as an answer to my post, misses the point. If you listen to what labels people put on themselves as opposed to observing how they act, you'll never understand much of anything. The academics you deride rant about "hegemony" while aligning themselves with the most hegemonic institution on earth---the academy---all the while clamoring for raises.

If they are "liberals" as the study says, they are certainly a parlor variety who, when the chips are down, defend their own economic interests with a ferocity that would make a Social Darwinist proud. As the saying goes, the reason the disputes in academia are so vicious is because the stakes are so low.

I suggest you get beyond the stereotypes studies like this traffic in, and find out what is really happening on campuses. There is much to be concerned about, but it is far beyond the easy liberal/conservative labels so much in vogue on off-topic.

Secretariat
05-25-2005, 08:10 AM

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 29, 2005; Page C01

College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans

Not sure of your point here. Is it that liberals are brighter and hence are hired more at colleges, or that Democrats are more open in revealing their political preference while Repubs tend to remain more closeted, or is it that Kurtz, who has long been a right-wing ideologue, can write an op-ed based a non-scientific study? btw...I happen to know many current professors, liberal, conservative, and neocon alike, and not one of them has ever been queried on this study.

From the article:

"The study appears in the March issue of the Forum, an online political science journal. It was funded by the Randolph Foundation, a right-leaning group that has given grants to such conservative organizations as the Independent Women's Forum and Americans for Tax Reform." and based on 1999 data.

JustRalph
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
this is only about the 20th study that has found the same results.....get real. You guys want to whistle in the dark with each other.....do it. I don't have time to debate such an obvious point. Yeah, it is obvious the libs are smarter..........yeah that's it........

Tom
05-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Those that can, do.
Those that can't teach.

Yeah, that's the ticket.:D

Secretariat
05-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Those that can, do.
Those that can't teach.

I beleive that was said by George Bernard Shaw after he couldn't make through college. And also by John Ashcroft who is currently teaching. Beleive Newt taught a bit too didn't he? Maybe you're right Tom.

Lasix1
05-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Those that can, do.
Those that can't teach.

Thanks for trivializing a 35-year career, Tom.