PDA

View Full Version : experience helps, BUT

46zilzal
05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
....it is NOT the ultimate teacher. I have many friends who came to the handicapping game LATE with only computer programs as their teachers. FUNNY THING: you don't have to teach them to UNLEARN a bunch of CRAP that many of us, coming up throught the ranks of classical handicapping, had to jettison.

Why is it that (x number) years of experience (by itself) some how counter-balances many with just a solid concept of racing as it is today? Some people have an aptitude for a task that OUTWEIGHS the necessary years of incubation in order for that to be expressed. I OFTEN confront ideas that I never would have even THOUGHT POSSIBLE by way of these "fresh eyes" looking at handicapping/wagering. I see the same thing in may work: most of the time they are ULTIMATELY wrong, but those NEW ideas keep the cobwebs out.

Remembering what Ted Kennedy quoted at his brother Bobby's funeral: "Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask Why Not?"

kenwoodallpromos
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
In the same vein, I am probably missing out on a lot of BS by not haunting the track and believing every word of everyone else's conjecturing.

46zilzal
05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
that's true as well