PDA

View Full Version : Pimlico Special

RXB
05-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Interesting race. Plenty of good horses with decent efforts recently, although Funny Cide is the only one who has ever shown Grade 1 form (and his numbers aren't Grade 1 calibre).

Second of June, Eurosilver and Grand Reward just don't seem good enough.

Pollard's Vision got a perfect set-up to win at Hawthorne (against just three rivals) last time. Nothing else in his record indicates that he's up to this task.

Presidential Affair ran a big race last out (fast pace, good final time) but I don't put a lot of stock in defeating four other rivals in an ungraded 150k stakes. He's also got 'bounce' written all over him. Plus, Badge of Silver, and possibly Grand Reward, should have him stepping pretty quickly on the front.

Badge of Silver is a quick horse and a consistent competitor but the pace should be solid and I don't think the additional distance will help, either.

Funny Cide is probably the class of the field, but he's coming into this race off of a seven-month layoff. (His workout line looks okay, at least.) He also needs to be close to the pace, which I don't think is going to be to his advantage in this race.

Offlee Wild has fired four strong races in a row since being transferred to Dutrow's barn. I love his workout line, and his breeding says that the added distance will be no problem. However, he's faced a decidedly moderate pace in each of his three previous stakes tries with Dutrow. Can he hack what figures to be a quicker pace?

Eddington looks like the horse who will most appreciate a contested pace. He had no real shot in the Oaklawn Handicap when the leaders were allowed to dawdle. He still strikes me as a bit of a plodder but at least he's an improved plodder. If he runs back to his GP Handicap win he could be tough because this race seems to set up pretty well for him. But he likes to run wide, and at Pimlico running wide on the turns is not usually a good thing.

Bottom line: I don't love a horse and I don't like any of the longshots so a bet seems unlikely. However, if Eddington is 9/2 at the gate and the off-pace horses have been doing alright on Friday's card, I might have a go.

the Bid
05-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I can't even tell who the favorite will be. I like Offlee Wild, he's beaten these types before (Mass Cap) and he handles short rests well. He rates well enough and should stay out of the hot pace that I anticipate. Eddington also stands to benefit from the pace but he sometimes gets into position then just spins his wheels. For me, Eddington has to be a bigger price than 9/2.
The long works Funny Cide has had may make up for his lack of a race. The concern is that if he's too fresh he may want to get into the race too soon. He's worked about 30 furlongs in the last 5 weeks! I don't even see jumpers doing that. He's a good horse but this is a tough spot to return.

I like Offlee Wild with Eddington and Funny Cide.

GeTydOn
05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Little surprised Funny Cide is 4th choice on the ML @ 5-1.