PDA

View Full Version : " Racing Action "

Rexdale You
05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Gentlemen,

I had asked my dear wife to pick me up a copy of
DRF. By mistake she purshased a copy of " Racing Action ".

It looks like it is related to equibase, an improved version of
DRF. Have any of you gents had a chance to utalise it.

It was pushed as a collectors edition for th Derby & the Oaks.

I found it a refreshing addition to browse. Minus Beyer ##.

Comments appreciate, :) :) :) Rex You

GeTydOn
05-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Never heard of it. But I never purchase off the newstand.

The Judge
05-20-2005, 12:39 AM
I remember Racing Action from the late 80's if it's the same one. It was about the size of the DRF and had a large color photo on the front. Had a lot of horse racing articles in it. It was real good, I think it was a weekly.

KingChas
05-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Rex you sure its not the Racing Advance?Check to see if they have the individual horses final time like the harness programs do.

rastajenk
05-20-2005, 01:26 AM
I was a contributor for Racing Action in the late 80's for the Ohio scene. That was fun, to see some of my picks lighting up their Big Payoffs listings. I didn't think it existed anymore, at least in the format it had then.

KingChas
05-20-2005, 01:37 AM
If its the Advance its $3.00.Saves a lot of time by giving you the horses final time (stand alone-besides winner).With the current technology its not that hard with video.On TVG before the Derby they put 2 differenet horses workouts together frame by frame to compare-interesting .I'm sure the DRF can and does do this(individual final times) just not for the general public.That would be a price increase again.

Beats the hell out of the (adjusting) beaten length theories.Cuts my handicapping time in half.

andicap
05-20-2005, 02:42 PM
One thing I like about the Racing Advance is the charts -- check them out. They give you all the horses' individual fractions, a gold mine for finding horses who ran hidden good races or for researching angles based on fractions.

Coincidentally (or not) the publishers of the old defunct Racing Action and Racing Advance are the same, Jack Cohen's Sports Eye.

Tom
05-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Andy,

Our new HTR charts exporter sounds like it will allow us to do that, as well as calculate %Early numbers. Can't wait.

Rexdale You
05-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Hello King,
It looks like the front page refers to ' Racing Action "

Yet inside when explaining the features they refer to
' Racing Advance "

And they do give the final time of the entry.

Sorry i was unable to respond sooner.

Regards Rex you,,, :) ;)

KingChas
05-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Rex, I've been purchasing this pub for some time.Always used DRF but for some reason they only put out PM edition were I reside.Plus very inconsistant on delivering around here.I never had a problem finding RA every day of the week so I switched.

Best of Luck!

Storm Cadet
05-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I purchased it this past weekend. Not a bad publication. But unlike what andicap stated, it does not give the individual splits of horses. Leaders only, but it does give final time of each horse.

I wish they gave out more usefull trainer stats...I use Bris and equisim but the RA paper is easier to use at the track instead of printing equisim and bringing that mess to the track.

andicap
05-24-2005, 05:22 PM
One thing I like about the Racing Advance is the charts -- check them out. They give you all the horses' individual fractions, a gold mine for finding horses who ran hidden good races or for researching angles based on fractions.

Coincidentally (or not) the publishers of the old defunct Racing Action and Racing Advance are the same, Jack Cohen's Sports Eye.

(sound of clearing throat).
How can I be as polite about this as possible since I am a Johnnies fan...

the charts, not the PPs... have the splits....

Real question, not smartass-
Are those two terms interchangable?

:p

Storm Cadet
05-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Charts are not PP's...my bad...that's why I suck as a handicapper!

Now I'd like to go back and check out the splits that equisim gives me vs. the CHARTS of RA! Thanks Andi...PS we're the Redstorm now, not the Johnnies, your dating yourself! ;)

andicap
05-24-2005, 07:49 PM
They will ALWAYS be the Johnnies to me -- How can i respect a name like Red Storm when my alma mater is the Big Red. Only room for one Red in town.

:D :D :D

Wickel
05-25-2005, 06:20 PM
The Racing Action I remember was a great handicapping publication back in the '80s. I also contributed to RA on the New Mexico racing scene. By the way, I'm newly registered on the site. I've been visiting for about a month and find it impressive. Hope to have some fun.

Skanoochies
05-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Welcome aboard Wickel. Great site. Lots of great cappers(not me :D ) and very little BS or attacks on one another, like on other sites. Good luck. :)