PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on NYRA split from Triple Crown

cj
05-17-2005, 04:40 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/16/AR2005051601249.html

A decent read, couldn't find it at any of the no registration sites.

JustRalph
05-17-2005, 06:53 AM
good read. Thanks CJ

Kreed
05-17-2005, 07:39 AM
ditto CJ ... man that Beyer has a flair with words, much like myself.

DerbyTrail
05-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Forget the throwaway Beyer column... Read John Scheinman's GREAT feature on King Leatherbury:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/16/AR2005051601150.html

KingChas
05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Good article, I'm suprised no comment was made on how much longer The Preakness will remain at Pimlico.In previous writings Andy said Maryland racing is not in good shape.Slot bill problems.Which I agree.I think a California track is waiting to pounce on this situation.Matter of time.

cj
05-17-2005, 08:26 AM
I think California is too far away for the Triple Crown. Delaware would be nice, but Laurel is probably more likely.

That said, I doubt the City of Baltimore is going to give up the Preakness any time soon, no matter how hard the fight may be.

KingChas
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
I think California is too far away for the Triple Crown. Delaware would be nice, but Laurel is probably more likely.

That said, I doubt the City of Baltimore is going to give up the Preakness any time soon, no matter how hard the fight may be.

My reasoning is based more on the sponsorship situation.The biggest markets NY and Cal.Unless maybe Monmouth revamps drastically.The bigger money would come from the west coast(TV and Ads,sponsors etc....)I personally do not want to see this -but as we all know times are a changin.

Valuist
05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Arlington would be perfect. They've already hosted big events and its the 3rd biggest market in the US (not far from second, either), and its owned by CDI, who would embrace the idea.

GMB@BP
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/16/AR2005051601249.html

A decent read, couldn't find it at any of the no registration sites.

yea that was solid, I kinda echoed the same things a while back on another board, that NBC and Visa really pushed the triple crown to new heights the past 5 years.

You know the only sporting event in 2005 NBC sheduled and has broadcast in High Definition was and is the triple crown. So it means something to them. Why they slipped so bad on the BC is anyones guess.

Valuist
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't think sports has been a real priority with them. A few years ago they lost the rights to the AFC games; once upon a time they had the MLB games of the week, back in the days of Curt Gowdy. They don't have the NBA. About all they have is Notre Dame football, and that ain't much nowadays.

GMB@BP
05-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't think sports has been a real priority with them. A few years ago they lost the rights to the AFC games; once upon a time they had the MLB games of the week, back in the days of Curt Gowdy. They don't have the NBA. About all they have is Notre Dame football, and that ain't much nowadays.

they put alot of money into the summer olympics, but of course its only 1 out of 4 years

fouroneone
05-17-2005, 10:56 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

So keep the preakness in baltimore as a triple crown event, but take away the belmont.

:lol: :lol:

beyer is really off point lately, dont know why.

:lol:

Valuist
05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
So NYRA will split from CD and Pim and have ABC and/or ESPN handle the broadcasts of the Belmont starting in 2006. Seems that NYRA was not happy with the 50-25-25 split with CD getting the 50% share. NYRA may not have a long memory; true in recent years we've seen a number of horses head to Elmont with a shot at the Triple Crown, but if the Derby winner loses at Pimlico, the race almost becomes irrelevant. About the only 1 1/2 mile races left on the main track are starter handicaps. But ABC/ESPN apparently offered a better deal. Time will tell if they regret it.

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I( do not see how the Preakness can go to CA- SA is not running now. Maybe it will go to Los Alamitos after Hollywood date mose there. I hear it is a speed track. Or move it to Calder.

foregoforever
05-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Who determines what races make up the TC?

Suppose a corporate sponsor stepped in and offered the $5 million bonus to a horse that could win the Derby, Belmont, and ... Haskell? It's already a Grade 1, and if Monmouth moved the race up a few weeks and revised their eligibility rules, it would give 3 races separated by 4-5 weeks. Trainers would prefer the longer gap, I'm sure.

Given NYRA's nose-thumbing at the other two races, I'd think CDI would find it highly amusing to re-define the TC to make the Belmont the middle leg.

Knowing how the business follows the money, I'd think the open sponsorship of the TC could lead to all sorts of changes. But who owns the TC?

toetoe
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Kreed: I've invited Sir Andrew to come onto this board to explain himself. Suggested handle? Ryeeb.

KChas: Monmouth holds some intrigue TC-wise. The folks there are indeed upgrading big-time for the Breeders Cup, right?

Presumable Preakness venues:

1) Lone Star / Sam Houston / Retama Park

2) Gulfstream / Calder

3) Fort Erie / Woodbine

4) Fair Grounds / Louisiana Downs / Evangeline Downs / Delta Downs

editor's note: We recognize that it is scary how many tracks they have in Louisiana. We apologize profusely and recommend sleeping with the night light on.

Lasix1
05-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Forget the throwaway Beyer column... Read John Scheinman's GREAT feature on King Leatherbury:
Dear DerbyTrail,

Is it really necessary for you to promote your own writing ambitions by continually putting down Andy Beyer?

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2005, 10:50 PM
As to this article on King, good job. I like to read positive things, not just the most popular.

Tom
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Without the possibility of a TCwinner, how much interest can the Belmont generate? 3yos going a mile and a half is not a very good race to bother with, and it certainly won't bring in the "lurkers" waiting for the TC.

KingChas
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
According to the AP today the two tracks waiting to take over the Preakness should Maryland horseracing keep regressing are Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita.Guess who also owns them? :faint:The article also stated this could happen within the next 5 years.

KingChas
05-17-2005, 11:30 PM
toetoe
KChas: "Monmouth holds some intrigue TC-wise. The folks there are indeed upgrading big-time for the Breeders Cup, right?"

They are upgrading for the BC.And also don't you think its kinda funny how they started racing just weekends in May the last couple years.They used to open Memorial Day.This is just wishful thinking but the Preakness at Monmouth would be Heaven for me.On the downside a certain track owner seems to have a monopoly on the Preakness.If the states do not do as he wishes- shut down the track move the race.Either way the $$$$ stays with him.Frankie is the Al Davis of horseracing- :cool:

Steve 'StatMan'
05-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Here's the DRF link to the story (or at least those registered at DRF anyway).

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=65030&subs=0&arc=0

toetoe
05-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Had no idea Leatherbury was a hands-off manager type. Great article by Scheinman, who, by the way, had a YUGE Derby Day. Jason Levin had him on as a radio guest, and he somehow deduced the AQ race won by Willy o' The Valley was key, so he played, among others, that bomber in the 1st or 2nd race, then Battle Won in the 5th(?), and who cares whether he had Giacomo? Good day for ShineMan.

kenwoodallpromos
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
What does Andy think of King being a "magical" 8 of 17? LOL!