PDA

View Full Version : New Book - "Horseplayers"

QuarterCrack
05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Not really a handicapping book, but a great read nonetheless - it's a guy's story about quitting his day job to play the races as a "pro" for a year. It's a great book and tells the stories of what it's like at the track every day, the various people he meets, their interesting stories, etc. as he goes through the year. It's definitely worth getting if you have the chance.

kingfin66
05-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Where did you purchase the book? Who is the author and publisher? Thanks.

Alc
05-16-2005, 09:25 AM
"Horseplayers:Life at the Track" . Amazon.com $16.47.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for posting this, QuarterCrack! I've been meaning to write about it, as well as ask P.A. for permission - I've been so busy with work, and the opening of AP.

As part of his experience, Ted got to meet and become a part of my group of handicappers at Hawthorne and AP, and many of us are included in this book! It's been really exciting for a bunch of us, and great that some of us were deemed worthy enough to write about in a book. (So many people and stories at the track, one could write shelves of books about racetrackers - maybe now they will!)

For those in the Chicago Area, there is a Book Reading and Signing TOMORROW NIGHT - Tuesday Night, 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble, 13 W. Rand Road, Arlington Heights, Illinois. (www.barnesandnoble.com). Ted will be making a joint appearance with professional handicapper Scott McMannis. My plans are to be there as well - should be fun!

I do have a list of book signings with Ted. Some are on the East Coast. Feel free to PM me for the time being. (Relax foks, I don't get any royalties from the book - but wouldn't turn them down! LOL! )

Steve Miller - "The Stat Man"

QuarterCrack
05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I bought it at Barnes and Noble. It should be fairly readily available, I'd guess.

QuarterCrack
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Cool Steve!
I didn't know we had people from the book in here... that's pretty cool.
It really is a great book. Great reading, IMO.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks Quarercrack! I'm So Glad you enjoyedthe book!

By the way, just learned that Ted is going to be on TV tonight on the Chicago PBS station WWTW-Channel 11, on "Chicago Tonight". The show has already started, but his segment hasn't come on yet. Hope it goes well!

The show airs from 7-8 PM Central (as I'm posting this now). The rebroadcast is from Midnight to 1 AM Central.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-16-2005, 08:52 PM
With PA's kind permission, Here's Ted's Book remaining Book Signing Schedule, and Triple Crown Day Plans.

May 17, 2005 – Barnes & Noble, 13 W. Rand Road, Arlington Heights, Illinois, 7 p.m. (www.barnesandnoble.com). Joint appearance with professional handicapper Scott McMannis.

May 21, 2005 – The Ivy Bookshop, 6080 Falls Road, Baltimore, Maryland, 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Preakness Day! After the book signing, I’ll be heading out to Pimlico for the race.

June 7, 2005 – Barnes & Noble, 23-80 Bell Boulevard, Bayside, New York, 7 p.m. (www.barnesandnoble.com). This Queens bookstore is only 15 minutes from Belmont Park, site of that weekend’s Belmont Stakes.

June 9, 2005 – 57th Street Books, 1301 E. 57th St., Chicago, Illinois, 7 p.m. (www.semcoop.com) I’ll be handicapping the Belmont Stakes, and discussing a possible Triple Crown winner.

June 11, 2005 – Arlington Park, 2200 W. Euclid, Arlington Heights, Illinois, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (www.arlingtonpark.com) Will we have a Triple Crown winner? I’ll be on the first floor of Arlington Park, betting on the Belmont Stakes.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Ted's TV segment will be rebroadcast between 12:30 and 12:45 Central this AM. Chanell 11 Chicago. Perfect for those watching the Everybody Loves Raymond finale tonight. :)

46zilzal
05-17-2005, 02:23 PM
fellow nickmaned "McChump" has been a contributor at the Derby list for many years telling the "ins and outs" of the various little courses throughout the U.S.

Thumbed through it and it looks interesting.

Tom
05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
McChump - Terry Bjork - is he in the book? Nice guy. Nice webpage, too. He did a nice piece on FL a few years back - sorry I didn't knwo he was there- it would been fun to stop by and say hello.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Terry sure is! Ted was invited along, and tell his version of stories from the McChump Racing Tour to the Western Racing Fairs with Terry. Its an interesting story and a fun read. Terry has told his side of the trip on his website, www.mcchump.com

We got Potato Wedges, or yur Seasoned Potato Wedges :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Ted was taped for an interview this by NBC, it *might* air during the Preakness broadcast today. Exciting for a bunch of us, and especially for Ted - this is his first book.

topgun
06-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Steve,

This is Ron from Houston and I wanted to know how is everybody doing, and is Scott M. and his wife still doing fine. Hope to hear from you soon and how is the AP meet coming alone.

Ron

Steve 'StatMan'
06-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey Ron! Great to hear from you! Things are pretty great - wish I had more time to be at the track, though. I'll PM you or email you on the rest.