PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas at Cannes with Star Wars III

Secretariat
05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050515/111618582000.html

'Wars' Raises Questions on U.S. Policy
Sunday May 15 12:37 PM ET

Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday and Lucas himself noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith" the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq. "

DJofSD
05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday and Lucas himself noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

So what? What is new about any of this?

Human nature has not changed in 300 or 3,000 or 30,000 years let alone the last 30.

Sec, are you this negative naturally or do you have to expend effort to constantly spin things to bolster your political vendeta? You must be a joy to be around.

And BTW, this is the last episode to be made into a movie (and the first all digital). It is not the last installment of the series. Tell me, do you not know about "Return of the Jedi?"

DJofSD

cj
05-15-2005, 04:12 PM
So, a science fiction writer talking to a bunch of rich, devout liberals. Is this where I am supposed to get my political views?

lsbets
05-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I wonder what the guy waiting in front of the theater in a Wookie costume thinks. Or how about the guy who's been out there dressed as Bobba Fet? Or Jar Jar Binks? They could make an interesting Sunday morning news show.

Secretariat
05-15-2005, 06:02 PM
[B]

Sec, are you this negative naturally or do you have to expend effort to constantly spin things to bolster your political vendeta? You must be a joy to be around.

And BTW, this is the last episode to be made into a movie (and the first all digital). It is not the last installment of the series. Tell me, do you not know about "Return of the Jedi?"

DJofSD

DJ,

Uh..this isn't "me" spinning. This is an article from the Associated Press at the Cannes Film Festival, and includes Lucas's own quotes. So please there was no spin or comment by me except the posting of the article. Read into it what you want. I also never said this was the last episode. Not sure where you got that It is the last Star Wars movie being made according to Lucas, the creator of the saga...I simply showed a link I found interesting. I found it interesting that the parallels are being drawn by others. Personally, I would never even have thought of those links, but it is intriguing.

Secretariat
05-15-2005, 06:04 PM
So, a science fiction writer talking to a bunch of rich, devout liberals. Is this where I am supposed to get my political views?

No not at all. I'm not asserting that at all. Just tune into Rush.

Secretariat
05-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I wonder what the guy waiting in front of the theater in a Wookie costume thinks. Or how about the guy who's been out there dressed as Bobba Fet? Or Jar Jar Binks? They could make an interesting Sunday morning news show.

I hate to tell you this, but last year it was rumored that there was a WH costume party where Dick Cheney came as Bobba Fet, and GW was dressed as a Wookie.

cj
05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't listen to him either. I just find it amusing you would even care would George Lucas has to say about world politics, pretty funny.

lsbets
05-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I hate to tell you this, but last year it was rumored that there was a WH costume party where Dick Cheney came as Bobba Fet, and GW was dressed as a Wookie.

And your point is?

Secretariat
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
And your point is?

Just agreeing with you that sometimes Wookies may be good interviews on Sunday Morning News shows.

Tom
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
That's nothing, ls, Ted Kennedy goes to the senate every day looking llike Jabba the Hut! :D

Tom
05-15-2005, 10:54 PM
You be the judge...

hcap
05-16-2005, 06:16 AM
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=8&id=337337

"And then came the zinger, with the protagonist, Anakin Skywalker, saying just before becoming Darth Vader: "You are either with me — or you are my enemy"