PDA

View Full Version : Worst Favorite I have seen in years

BetHorses!
05-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Saturday's 8th at Belmont #8 Friendly Michelle went off as the chalk....to me she was the first throwout. I know this post is after the fact but she had no chance today. These are the races to wait for and pounce

I missed making a score as I thought the Superfecta was the true value while throwing the 8 out, I made a SuperBox with five horses 3-4-6-7-9 $120 for every $1 and found a way to lose :bang: But did have the tri :)

andicap
05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
OK, this would be a bit more instructive if you told us WHY the horse was such a false favorite?

saratoga guy
05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll go -- I left her out of my top four as well:

Ran decently through July 3 of last year when she won the G1 Prioress at Belmont. Followed that with a dull try over a muddy track at Saratoga, running fourth in the G1 Test. Sat off from that race until running ninth by 27 lengths in a G2 at Keeneland in October. Then was laid off from that race until Saturday.

So, a filly who was facing older for the first time, coming off a seven-month layoff that was preceded by two dull tries. For Beyer fig believers, this filly had never recorded a number above 98 while six others in the ten-horse field had 100+ figs on their resumes.

Friendly Michelle had a string of nice works coming into this and that G1 win over the strip last year (albeit against 3YOs) going for her -- but it was somewhat surprising to see her as the fave.

Valuist
05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
I would have to agree with the top post. Last year, I remember posting that the Prioress was one of the worst Grade 1s all last year, and that realistically it was barely Grade 3 in quality. I think nobody had run faster than a 100 Beyer at any distance at any time in their careers going into the race. I have to agree w/both BetHorses and Saratoga Guy.