PDA

View Full Version : Being that it is Friday the 13th and all....

Beer'n'Horses
05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Howdy all! Being that it is Friday the 13th, I thought I would bring up a discussion about track/handicapping superstitions! Not that any Horseplayer is superstitious :lol: !
I have a superstition about using a red pen when I handicap. I had read somewhere, years ago, that Charlie Whittingham never used a red pen. I guess I kind of picked up on it after I had read it. Actually, I have a hard time using any color ink pen except black (in the military we use only black ink). Also, I have to have two things with me when I go to the track. My lucky coin, and I almost always wear something that refers to the Kentucky Derby, or horse racing in general on it. Anybody else have anything, or am I just really strange?:D

keilan
05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Beer'n'Horses]Howdy all! Being that it is Friday the 13th, I thought I would bring up a discussion about track/handicapping superstitions! Not that any Horseplayer is superstitious :lol: !
I have a superstition about using a red pen when I handicap. I had read somewhere, years ago, that Charlie Whittingham never used a red pen. I guess I kind of picked up on it after I had read it. Actually, I have a hard time using any color ink pen except black (in the military we use only black ink). Also, I have to have two things with me when I go to the track. My lucky coin, and I almost always wear something that refers to the Kentucky Derby, or horse racing in general on it. Anybody else have anything, or am I just really strange?:D[/QUOTE

Yeah I generally like to keep a beer in my right hand. My friends think I have a problem but I tell them I’m just superstitious. :lol:

BIG RED
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
I throw the pen away and keep a beer in both hands :D

I always use a Red Marker for the form. I'll buy one on the way if I need one.

kenwoodallpromos
05-13-2005, 07:25 PM
I like to bet jockeys who are wearing something red or blue. And I like to use a winning ticket to pay for the next race instead of a fresh bill. :ThmbUp:

NoDayJob
05-13-2005, 09:20 PM
;) On all Friday the 13th's, I only bet horses with Jockeys who wear Jockey underware and football shoulder pads. Haven't had a loser yet. ;)

NDJ

Dave Schwartz
05-13-2005, 09:56 PM
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Zaf
05-13-2005, 09:57 PM
For me, A red flair marker and a beer is essential for a day at the track :D

ZAFONIC

nick777
05-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I like to pick fights on horse racing forums before every major race.

peakpros
05-13-2005, 10:10 PM
A red flair is a must and I don't like a racing form that is not folded right.

Also...

If I make a really dumb mistake I force myself to walk all the way to the top of the grandstand at Monmouth Park and then down the other end before going back to the paddock. (usually talking to myself)

It releases my frustations and then I forget about my dumb mistake and move on.

Beer'n'Horses
05-14-2005, 11:41 AM
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Yeah, I suppose it is....But isn't luck a superstition? So, let me see if I understand this. It's superstitious to believe in luck, and bad luck to be superstitious. Now your unlucky for being superstitious, but it don't matter because you're not superstitious. This of course is unlucky, which leads us back to.....ow....I think my brain just froze up....:lol:

j/k

eastie
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Red pens are out period. They put you in red ink. Always bad luck....black ink only, blue in a pinch , but never a Red pen. You're just asking for trouble.
$50 bills. They could stop Big Brown. They are not even allowed to buy in at my weekly poker game. $20's and $100's are all you need. Tellers will ever give them out as payoffs when you cash a ticket at suffolk, in fear of what might happen to them if they tried
Last but not least...bad luck midgets. Nothing good ever happened to anyone when a midget was around. I would ban them from all racetracks if I could. I have gone on a couple of winning streaks after giving a midget a boot in the ass though. Anything to change the bad luck he has cast upon me just by his mere presence.

Storm Cadet
05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Never stay in the same place twice if I lose a race...the way I've been going...I move all race day....grandstand, paddock, clubhouse, rail.... :)

Fingal
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
The only pen restriction I have is no Black. To me, it represents DEATH. Blue, Red, highliters of Yellow, Pink & Blue, no problem. But no Black.

HUSKER55
05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I used green hiliters,...green for go, green for money. I always pick up something to take with me to the track. Redheads are my weakness.

Either way, I win. That's not supestition is it? I'm just lucky, right?

:D

Kelso
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Last but not least...bad luck midgets. Nothing good ever happened to anyone when a midget was around. I would ban them from all racetracks if I could. I have gone on a couple of winning streaks after giving a midget a boot in the ass though. Anything to change the bad luck he has cast upon me just by his mere presence.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh man ... here it comes. Ya just know there's a PETM out there somewhere, surfing the net for material for their next press release. Thanks for the best laugh of the month, eastie.

osophy_junkie
05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
... 3 year old thread. I was wondering when it was the 13th and Friday.

eastie
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh man ... here it comes. Ya just know there's a PETM out there somewhere, surfing the net for material for their next press release. Thanks for the best laugh of the month, eastie.

PETM....:D