PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Bet-Won system

midnight
05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I buy many methods and systems out there. I don't expect to make money with them. Racing isn't so simple as to be quantified into four-rule systems. What I'm hoping to find is a bit of information that I hadn't considered properly, or a different way of looking at something that I might incorporate into my own handicapping. If I find anything of value, the $10 or $25 that I spend will pay for itself down the road.

While I don't usually pay for high-priced methods authored by unknowns, I shelled out $50 over a year ago for the Bet-Won method, because it offered a way of playing that didn't involve handicapping, and I was curious to see what the author had in mind. The seller offered a money-back guarantee to anybody who could prove that the method didn't work over a 45 day trial at any race track, and he also mentioned that the results could be verified for at least one year using an unnamed internet site (which turned out to be the archives of Racingchannel.com). Of course, sellers know that most people won't go to the trouble (I personally wouldn't), and I also figured that there might be some back-fitting involved. But I was curious anyway.

The Bet-Won method came as an E-Book. The beginning of the E-Book lauded the method as though the buyer were still reading an ad about it. It promised profits and proclaimed that once the reader learned the method, he/she would want to kiss the author. It went on grandly about this for a lot longer than it needed to.

Unfortunately, about the only thing I learned from the Bet-Won method is that there are still charlatans out there who will fleece the public: something I already knew.

I can't get into great detail about the method, because it's so superficial and flimsy that to talk much about it at all would give the entire (worthless, in my opinion) method away. To be brief and ambigous enough to protect the copyright, the method is based on checking the results files for each track for the past 30 to 45 days and back-fitting the results to one primitive factor. The reader is then supposed to play that factor forwardly and expect it to continue to work. The 'guarantee' is also not as it appears, as it's similarly backfit (in addition to requiring much work to prove or disprove).

Put it bluntly: This is a piece of garbage, in my opinion, and I'd be surprised if anybody got anything of value out of it. I notice that the author also sells other systems and methods on his site. Caveat Emptor here.

burt
05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
i to tried the system and got nothing out of it,but i asked for a refund and never did get my money back, i posted on there add what i thought about them and ther polices for refunds all they replied was that i had not been fair and was just trying to get my money back. (buyer beware.)

JackS
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
IMO- Just about any member of this board could create a "system" that is as worthy or even worthier than most anything for sale by any self proclaimed expert whose methods are designed to promote profits for his own wallet and not those who are making the purchase.
On the other hand as midnight stated- there may be one or two handicapping points that make perfect sense and the buyer can add these points to his own method of capping. In this rather rare case, the method may actually be worth the $25 spent if you learned something.
Years ago ,I had a "faith" that PRN was a legitimate promoter of "methods" that had some validation. Many of the methods turned out to be worthless to me even if they recieved an 8.5 or 9 on the PRN rating scale.
Maybe someone should start a "Methods Worth-while for price paid" thread.
I'll start with a method I purchased in the early 1980's and wish I still owned titled the "Mark 3". Don't remember the author but a fairly hefty volumn with much to offer for believers/non-believers of methods.
As with any good method/system, these are never the Holy Grail and never should be considered as such but if the info is good, can be used successfully in conjunction with the legitimate info provided by the authors of the great books of the game.

midnight
06-02-2005, 10:25 AM
How much it's worth depends on the level of play. For example, if I paid $50 for something that improved my ROI by 1/2 a percent (0.5%), I'd have to put through $10,000 worth of action (in theory) to get my money back. If I were a $2 bettor, that might take over a year. If I were a $1,000 bettor, it might take only a day or two. While I'm nothing like a $1,000 bettor, I'll recover the $10 to $50 I spend quickly enough to suit me if I learn anything or rethink something I already know and improve accordingly.