PDA

View Full Version : Bellamy Road's "Injury"

Observer
05-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Very interesting story appears on Thoroughbred Times regarding Bellamy Road .. and how he "could" make the Preakness .. but they're not greedy .. though the Belmont is a possibility.

I guess I just don't understand a "popped splint." I would have thought the time needed to get the ligament between the cannon bone & splint bone to heal .. even if it's minor .. would result in too much lost training time .. even to make the Belmont Stakes .. which is now just over 4 weeks away.

Bellamy Road's Direction... (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=54658&subsec=2)

kenwoodallpromos
05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Sounds like he thinks only the horse's owner reads the stuff.
Maybe that is how he has to communicate to the head Yankee Doodle.

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I hope for hypocrisy's sake that the guys who bash Lukas have something left for the connections of Bellamy Road, if he were to comeback sooner than expected....

Like I said, the DWL bashers are steeped in ignorance. The whole "run em into the ground" mentality is so baseless....here are two cases in point:

Bandini - 6 career starts - injured and out with ankle surgery for chip....

Bellamy Road - 6 career starts - injured and out with a "popped splint"

Two horses who are lightly raced, not trained by DWL, and INJURED.

kenwoodallpromos
05-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I think a lot of trainers overwork horses occasionally, but not intentionally into the ground. The trainer I think overworks most had his horse come out of the Derby healthy and in fact I think does that less and less (not DWL).

cj
05-13-2005, 03:02 AM
I don't know what all the stink is about DWL anymore, he is basically a non factor at the top of the game.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I don't know what all the stink is about DWL anymore, he is basically a non factor at the top of the game.

Well, that was certainly a low blow....I'm sure you're saving this line for later when I'm really down, and replacing the name DWL with the name "NY Yankees," right? See, I beat you to it....HA! Now you can't use it....LOL

DWL's off to a good Churchill meeting, I know that....

He's also 16th in the nation in earnings....not too shabby for a "non factor".

And as far as I know, his name is never bandied about when people talk about "juicers" or "milkshake guys". That alone should put him at the top of your list CJ!

Lukas has been down for the count before, and people have said he's washed up....but he's rebounded and left people shaking their heads, wondering why they ignored his horses, because, after all, it IS D. Wayne Lukas.....

cj
05-13-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm don't really have any issues with him. I know he's handled a few horses poorly, but what trainer hasn't? His name is still big, and he is a decent guy for the sport, good interview, colorful. And I do respect he's never once been considered a juicer that I can recall.

All that said, he isn't close to the force he once was. He has a huge stable of non claiming horses, so I would think 16th isn't a trophy he wants to put on his mantle. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he made a return to the elite if the industry is serious about catching cheaters.

In the end, this was my point. There are a lot worse guys out there we players should be concerned with before DWL.

Maxspa
05-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Observer,
"Poopped a splint" is term used for a mass that develops or pops on the cannon bone. Actually the smaller popped splints are usually more difficult to deal with than the larger ones and secondly where on the cannon bone the splint is found is most important of all. If it is near the knee then there is more of a problem because the horse flexes the knee joint and it will cause pain everytime that joint is flexed. Injections, horse paint and firing the area are some examples of how it can be administered to.
If it were a splint bone, a bone that is pencil sized in diameter and is found along side the cannon bone, there could be a serious problem. On some occasions the tip of the bone will bow away from the cannon bone and affect the suspensory. Bellamy Road does not have difficulty.
Hope this helps!
Maxspa

Valuist
05-13-2005, 09:52 AM
At the Kentucky tracks it seems like they still bet him like its 1989. I don't see that in New York but the KY bettors seem to go overboard for the HOFers.

Maxspa
05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Popped a Splint not poopped a splint.
Bellamy Road will not have THAT problem. (With the splint bone!)

Sorry, Proofreading would have taken care of the above. Careless!
Maxspa

headhawg
05-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Popped a Splint not poopped a splint.
Bellamy Road will not have THAT problem. (With the splint bone!)

Now that could have caused a real serious injury. :)

EQUIPACE
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Now that could have caused a real serious injury. :)

HH,
NO S___T! :lol:

John

EQUIPACE
05-13-2005, 11:44 AM
so I would think 16th isn't a trophy he wants to put on his mantle.

CJ,
Only if he changed his name to Gaylord Focker!!

Couldn't help it... I saw that movie for the fisrt time last night.
Left me in stitches...

John
~żo

e_r
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
'I don't know what all the stink is about DWL anymore, he is basically a non factor at the top of the game.'

You must not have been around in the late 80's/early 90's, C.J.
cause he was definitely considered a big time juicer then.

cj
05-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I was definitely around, and I honestly don't remember him being considered a cheater. I'm sure he had a positive here and there, the guy had hundreds of horses, many of which he didn't really train.

plainolebill
05-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Popped splint, etc. was anyone surprised at the excuses flying? :faint: These horses are $$$ in the breeding shed - if they lose it may mean they aren't as good as they were thought to be.

Maxspa
05-15-2005, 07:02 AM
PlainOBill,
You're correct about the $$$ these horses are worth. However, it may be a legitimate excuse that Bellamy Road has, only time will tell. Since it's not a serious injury he should be able to come back as good as he is capable. A splint is not a serious injury unless it affects the knee or the suspensory ligament. However, it does cause pain for the horse. Horses like people deal with pain in diferent ways. Some horses are able to run with pain better than others.
Hope this helps,
Maxspa

kenwoodallpromos
05-15-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm sure you are right, I'm just curious what ways. Maybe a hot woman walking on their back? :D

plainolebill
05-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Maxspa, The point was (and it is strictly my opinion) that many of the trainers of these high profile horses are expert excuse makers. Thanks for the feedback.