PDA

View Full Version : Giacomo's sister

cj
05-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Long before anyone knew of Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, the colt's full sister Styler was winning races for trainer John Shirreffs and her owner-breeders, Jerry and Ann Moss. But that was a long time ago - Styler has not raced in more than two years. "We could have retired her," Shirreffs said Tuesday. "She's always been one of my favorite horses. She's like Giacomo, kind of introverted."

A 6-year-old mare by Holy Bull out of Set Them Free, Styler is now gearing up for an improbable comeback. She is breezing regularly at Hollywood Park, where Shirreffs said he hopes she will return during the spring meet "with a little bit of luck." She'll need it.

Wouldn't this horse be worth a whole bunch now that her full brother is a Derby winner? Why race her?

Buddha
05-11-2005, 11:48 AM
You would think that. Is it a full sis, or just half? Either way, but a Derby winner in the family, you would think her broodmare value would have just skyrocketed, and if Giacomo finds a way to win the Preakness, she would really go up in value.

cj
05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Full, it is in the quote, which is from DRF by the way.

bdhsheets
05-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Wow, one of Shireffs favorite horses? 4-2-0-2 with earnings of 62k, puhleeze. :lol:

Observer
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
A horse doesn't need to be a superstar to be something special.

Valuist
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
If I remember correctly, Smarty Jones dam was purchased for something like $5000 when she was racing but after the Derby last year, her value absolutely skyrocketed. I'm sure this full sister to Giacomo will not be running in claimers anytime soon.

cj
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I realize she won't be in a claimer, but the risk is crazy, she'll never come close to earning on the track what she is worth in the shed.

sjk
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
She showed some run in 2003 and if she comes back 100% black type is not out of the question. That adds to any filly's value.

She may be in foal or may have problems getting in foal.

Bobby
05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
If I remember correctly, Smarty Jones dam was purchased for something like $5000 when she was racing but after the Derby last year, her value absolutely skyrocketed. I'm sure this full sister to Giacomo will not be running in claimers anytime soon.

yea like to $5 million i think or maybe it was 2

linrom1
05-12-2005, 01:19 AM
She's a full sister to Giacomo. Her last race was on 5/9/2003, a 6 1/2f AWnx1 which she won by 1 1/2 lengths. Her prior start, was a MSW which was won by 6 lengths.

CryingForTheHorses
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
A horse doesn't need to be a superstar to be something special.

You are so right,They all get their fame in some race some day. a 5k claimer that wins is just as special for that owner!!

Observer
05-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I wasn't even necessarily speaking of a horse being a "winner" in racing terms .. sometimes it just takes the right task or discipline to find that something special.

High Stakes
05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Ahhh...Smarty Jones' dam never sold for anything like 5k...ever.

I'll Get Along has done well for everyone that ever had her. Chapmans paid 45k for her, won some stakes money with her, got a couple foals and then sold her in foal for around $125,000. (This was before SJ raced, of course.) Although hardly stratospheric, I call that a nice return on investment.

The next folks, of course, did even better, since the mare was carrying a full sibling to Smarty when she went through the sale last fall.

Interesting that the last 2 Derby winners are homebreds, out of modest stakes winning mares raced by the owners. Good for business I'd say.

Could be Mosses will hang on to this mare since they breed to race.

GMB@BP
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't this horse be worth a whole bunch now that her full brother is a Derby winner? Why race her?

what is a whole lot to a billionaire? I remember her, she was talented. Smith rode her, thats how he got the mount on Giacomo.