PDA

View Full Version : Contenders (a program)

DAWG
05-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Can anyone help me with a program I have not seen much of. Its called Contenders. Some time ago (about three years) I downloaded a demo. I liked what I saw, but as usual I didn't understand what I saw. So in lieu of buying I forgot about it.
Well last week I just happened to run into a fellow at the track who swears by it, but wont tell me anything .
I pulled out my dinosaur computer that still had the program on and had a look. Still don't understand everything I know about Contenders.
I guess what I need is pros and cons if any of you good people use or know anything about this program.

GameTheory
05-03-2002, 01:35 AM
I tested this program for a while. I thought it was pretty good. He has a factor (number) -- I forget the name of it -- he describes it in the docs as being good for extra cheap races. I always thought of it as the "wacky" factor, and made some good money off of it.

I believe it also tries to point you to the appropriate factors for each race -- i.e "This race favors closers -- look at X".

The author usually gives a two-week time-limited demo to anyone who asks, at least he used to...

Lefty
05-03-2002, 12:29 PM
Last I heard Terry pulled the prgm off the mkt and only sells the output. The last ver. was Contenders 10. I used it for a while in conjunction with other prgms and have since moved on to another prgm(i'm weird that way)
Oh, I thght it was one of the bettprgms i've used and you can use TSN .50 files with it.
Yes, I have a used copy for sale.

Lefty
05-03-2002, 12:39 PM
I was wrong. Just went to Terry's site and he's still giving free demo and selling the prgm. www.contenderswins.com

JimG
05-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
I used it for a while in conjunction with other prgms and have since moved on to another prgm(i'm weird that way)

Lefty,

Between you and I, we may own all the horse racing software out there.

Jim

Lefty
05-03-2002, 08:57 PM
JImG, We may not own it all but we have a corner on the market.

GameTheory
05-03-2002, 10:32 PM
It was Contenders v.9 I tested. v.10 has a fancier interface, and some other stuff.

He's got previous day's reports up on the site as well. The number I was referring to earlier is the !ER! factor. Picked a number of big longshots on cheap (like 3.5k cheap) claiming races with that one.

Myhorse1_X
05-05-2002, 08:59 AM
Dawg:

When you look at his past sheets, look for the horses marked with a "V", for value bets. If you put $2.00 on each "V" horse for the day, you would usually hit a long shot horse that would give you a positive ROI for the day. It is an interesting indication. You might only hit one a day out of 10, but it is usually worth it.

MyHorse1

DAWG
05-05-2002, 08:44 PM
MyHorse1 I don't ever recall ever seeing a "v" anywhere on the report . If I remember right, the "!" was the value,but that was three years ago. I remember in the instructions if there was a letter in front of the horse, from a to z with nothing being good any letter being no good to plum bad. Also, I've never seen one of these either.
The same ole story, buy and you are disapointed. For $50 I would buy but not for $300 or so. That's why I asked the good people here about pros and cons.
I do appreciate the input.

GameTheory
05-05-2002, 10:11 PM
He did have some sort of longshot indicator codes -- can't remember what they are. I asked the author many questions, and he was quite helpful.

I would say it is certainly a quality program. Whether it will fit in with your style I can't say....