John A. Shirreffs
2005 60 13 5 8 $913,760 21.67% 43.33%

John A. Shirreffs
2004 182 23 18 25 $1,453,958 12.64% 36.26%

John A. Shirreffs
2003 163 33 18 25 $2,237,892 20.25% 46.63%

John A. Shirreffs
2002 147 25 19 26 $1,834,772 17.01% 47.62%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born: June 1, 1945, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
Resident: Arcadia, Calif.
Family: wife, Dottie
Racing Background: Is a Marine veteran of the Vietnam War

Shirreffs has been around horses most of his life; his father bred horses with Peter Fuller, of Dancer's Image fame

Family owned a farm near Neufields, N.H.

Walked hots for Southern California trainer Gene Cleveland in the early 1970s and later broke yearlings for Ed Nahem, co-owner and breeder of Bertrando, at Lakeview Thoroughbred Farm

Took out his trainer's license in 1978 and opened a small stable in Northern California

Later worked as an assistant to trainers Brian Mayberry and Bill Spawr in Southern California

Trained privately for the 505 Farms of Marshall Naify until Naify's death in 2000

Has had a public stable since then with such owners as Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Wygod and George Krikorian

One of trainer's earliest successes for 505 Farms was the development of Borodislew, who won four stakes under Shirreffs' care

Had good luck with the huge filly Manistique, a multiple graded-stakes winner, which included tallies in the Vanity and Santa Margarita handicaps, both grade I events
Also has trained stakes winners Lacquaria, Cliquot, Swept Overboard (prior to his 2002 Sprint race), David Copperfield, Makeup Artist and Private Chef
Hollywood Story has been quite a story for the trainer, finishing second in the 2003 Del Mar Debutante as a maiden, finishing fourth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies, also as a maiden, and later breaking her maiden by wining the Hollywood Starlet

Took over training of Bertrando following his two-length loss to Arcangues in the 1993 Breeders' Cup Classic and saddled him to win the Goodwood Handicap prior to his run in the 1994 Classic.

cj
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
As tee can tell you, I've always been a big fan of this guy. He used to hang up crazy win percentages with young horses when he was Marshall Nafy's (505 Farms) guy, before Nafy died. Glad to see him get his glory.

kenwoodallpromos
05-08-2005, 03:59 PM
He learned all aspects of raising and training- probably knows how do train according to the individual horse.
My "good trainer" cutoff is 10% so he is a good one to me for consistency.

Speed Figure
05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
John Shirreffs Stats through May 8, 2005

Starts 1st 2nd 3rd Earnings Win % In-The-Money %
John A. Shirreffs
2005 60 13 5 8 $913,760 21.67% 43.33%

John A. Shirreffs
2004 182 23 18 25 $1,453,958 12.64% 36.26%

John A. Shirreffs
2003 163 33 18 25 $2,237,892 20.25% 46.63%

John A. Shirreffs
2002 147 25 19 26 $1,834,772 17.01% 47.62%

CryingForTheHorses
05-09-2005, 01:26 PM
This man is a remarkable trainer.
I have always wondered what it is like to win these kinds of races.

Macdiarmadillo
05-10-2005, 04:00 AM
Did Shirreffs have much to say right after the Derby? At the simo I only saw them interview Moss at length. He's pretty publicity shy (suits owners like Wygod who like to talk), and has been known to avoid posing for winners circle photos even in stakes.

He was often accused of being a program trainer for Naify. I remember Naify saying as much, though I took it to mean Naify did all the early training on the farm for the 505 Farms stock. Shirreffs continued high percentage after that proved that he was good in his own right. Getting a horse through the races leading up to the Derby (and the race, too!) reinforced that.

how cliche
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
There are so many rules about Kentucky Derby winners that have stood the test of time that Giacomo didn't abide by. The rules he broke are the reason we couldn't support him as anything more than a saver across the board.

That being said, major Congratulations go out to John Shireffs, Mike Smith and Jerry Moss. I never imagined the big dance being won by a horse who raced into shape, with no intention of winning a prep. If this were the Hollywood Gold Cup or the Santa Anita Handicap and he came into the race in the same fashion, Giacomo would've been my pick, and a confident one. It's how Shireffs and Moss work. Mike Smith made several post race comments about how they never had him ready like they did for The Derby, and how the other races weren't intended to do anything but put fitness in him so he'd give his best on the big day. In other words, they were holding him back. Prep and go. I'm amazed by the skill and timing it took to pull it off. It was a beautiful piece of horsemanship by both trainer and rider.

Look at his past performances. Save them. Refer to them in the future. It's not random nonsense. This is how Shireffs raced him into shape to win on racing's grandest stage. He's done it before in lesser stakes. He did it again in The Kentucky Derby. My hat goes off to him. Genius+Soul=WIN

CryingForTheHorses
05-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Did Shirreffs have much to say right after the Derby? At the simo I only saw them interview Moss at length. He's pretty publicity shy (suits owners like Wygod who like to talk), and has been known to avoid posing for winners circle photos even in stakes.

He was often accused of being a program trainer for Naify. I remember Naify saying as much, though I took it to mean Naify did all the early training on the farm for the 505 Farms stock. Shirreffs continued high percentage after that proved that he was good in his own right. Getting a horse through the races leading up to the Derby (and the race, too!) reinforced that.

I took the trainer and owner to be very humble about winning the derby.At least they sat together at the derby..ALSO makes me wonder if Zito and Pletcher were hiding under the staircase while their owners had to fend for themselves.Mr and Mrs Moss were very gracefull standig their with his Derby trophy,It was almost like they were embarrassed to be up on the stand in the lime light.Ill bet they were clicking theirheels afterwards! I think it was just AWESOME.!!

GMB@BP
05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Just a good example of what happens to a clean trainer when they dont stay up with their peers.