PDA

View Full Version : ESPN horse racing

fouroneone
05-05-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling a 24 hr racing channel is in the works.

Will compete with TVG.

They are already starting to jockey for position (no pun intended).

Bobby
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
What makes you think ESPN would have a horse racing channel?

fouroneone
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
they are picking up more races, and devoting MUCH more time to racing.

They have a channel for EVERYTHING else, i dont think it would be tough for them to start.

They picked up the Breeders Cup, they want more racing....I really wouldnt be suprised to see them make a move for HRTV or something.

TOOZ
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I can see Berman now:

And there goes Funny Cide "Order", ridden by Jose "can you see" Santos, and trained by Barclay "Sales" Tagg.

fouroneone
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM

And there goes Funny Cide "Order", ridden by Jose "can you see" Santos, and trained by Barclay "Sales" Tagg.

:D :D :D :D

ceejay
05-05-2005, 03:06 PM
They picked up the Breeders Cup, they want more racing....I really wouldnt be suprised to see them make a move for HRTV or something.

This would surprise me. Without the account wagering I've gotta think that HRTV is near worthless. And Disney in the gambling business would surprise me more than Buzzard's Bay winning the derby.

JustRalph
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
This would surprise me. Without the account wagering I've gotta think that HRTV is near worthless.

Hell....... I think the same production values are shared by HRTV and Mountaineer .............and that guy at mountaineer knows more about who, what and why those horses are running...........HRTV drives me nuts..........

TVG isn't anything to write home about.......but they beat the hell out of HRTV.

I agree, without Xpress Bet.........you might as well buy a Digital Camcorder and set it up in the corner of your local bar..........

wonatthewire1
05-05-2005, 08:42 PM
I've been interviewing with them for brand management positions in NYC...they are going big time into anything that will drive a subscriber based service.

Racing fits this mold, though will probably need quite a bit of advertising/product support to get off the ground to be successful.

fouroneone
05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
If the can make money off of ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU and ESPN PPV, then I dont see Horse Racing being too far off.

kingfin66
05-06-2005, 09:49 PM

And the best part is that Boomer would know horse racing as much as he knows other sports. That is to say NADA.

Tom
05-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Berman:...midway on the turn it's Bellamy Road.
He-could-go-all- the-way.

Boomer: Why isn't the jockey wearing pinstripes?
:D

fouroneone
05-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Watching the oaks today I noticed that ESPN is starting to focus on real time pari mutuel odds, something usually ignored by the major networks when they cover racing.

Jeff P
05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see more coverage of racing on ESPN. But they need to learn how to do one thing first. Plant a single camera on the finish line and follow the horses start to finish without switching to a different shot during the running of the race. Tried watching their feed from Churchill this afternoon. Every race the same - just when you think you're following the action of your selections - ZAP! - they switch to a different camera angle and you are completely lost. Then, just about the time you're able to see who's moving forward and who's backing up - ZAP! - they switch it again. They must have done this six or seven times each race. Makes a race very hard to follow and gets really frustrating to watch.

-

Tom
05-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Jeff,

It could be worse - they could cut away to show various ladies HATS! during the run douwn the backstretch. LOL!
Or a closeup of Kenny Mane knarling.

When the horses hit the wire, was it Assmusen of Kenny yelling "I told you about the 5! I told you about the 5!"
:rolleyes:

Jeff P
05-06-2005, 11:45 PM
When the horses hit the wire, was it Assmusen of Kenny yelling "I told you about the 5! I told you about the 5!" I just loved hearing Kenny shout that above the crowd noise. I had the 3 at 6-1 who ran a pretty good race to be second. Nothing like a TV announcer rubbing a little salt in your wounds.

Tom
05-07-2005, 01:14 AM
If ESPN ever does get a horse racingchannel, I hope they hire somebody who knows something about horse racing - the idiots they have are pretty clueless. Supposed to have Handiapping the Derby on at 1am.....got some ridiculous kickboxing on instead. Does anyone at ESPN know what a schedule means?

Sheeez. Amatures. :mad:

bobbyb
05-07-2005, 04:26 AM
Wire to Wire on ESPN

Tom, it's 4:21am - glued to Hong Kong - ESPN is carrying the Ken' Derby show at 5am (if your up) ( :sleeping: ) At least that is what my schedule shows (Dish Network). Good Hunting today!

bobbyb :)