PDA

View Full Version : Texas legislators weigh in on Cheerleader dress

ljb
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Well Texas has introduced legislation that will put restrictions on cheerleader uniforms and moves. Hang on folks this is just the first step. The burka is not far away in this fundamentalist society we are creating. ;)

46zilzal
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
what's wrong with a little gluteal bliss? Whne many of these same babes bend over you see their natal cleft anyway

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
If anyone gets "talking points" from MoveOn, was this topic on their list? Just curious....

Bobby
05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I personally like suggestive dancing. I think its fun. It makes for a good night.

This must be the MORAL MAJORITY at it again. Well, get real. The moral majority's daughter is pregnant at 16.

lsbets
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Here's the link to the homepage for the author and chief sponsor of the bill:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist146/edwards.htm

What's that? Yes, he's a black Democrat from Houston. Is he part of the moral majority you point to Bobby? Are you still outraged ljb? I am, I think it was a waste of time when there are more important things our legislature could have taken care of, but it is also a hard bill for any politician to vote against - can't you see the next campaign "He voted to let cheerleaders dance like strippers!" My Rep voted for the bill, and I'm going to let her know I think it was a waste of time when I see her, but I won't hold it against her, most of her votes have been good ones, and like I said it was a no win situation for any politician once the bill was put up to a vote. We'll see what happens in the Senate. The bill was actually defeated in its first go round in the House, and was only passed after an amendment was made.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Ah, the other side of the story. From someone who "gets it" no less.....:lol:

What a shock.

Secretariat
05-04-2005, 11:20 AM
It's an absurd bill regardless of which party supports it, but it is Texas. I would think schools would be able to police this stuff themselves.

lsbets
05-04-2005, 11:23 AM
And what do you mean but it is Texas Sec? Tell us where you're from, I'm sure I can find some absurd bills passed in your state. After all, politics tends to bring about the absurd.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Hang on folks this is just the first step. The burka is not far away in this fundamentalist society we are creating. ;)

I didn't realize Democrats were also steering this country towards a fundamentalist society, or what was it you called it? A religious oligarchy?

Wow. And here I thought all along that you were saying the Republicans were being driven by religious zealots.....who knew?

Secretariat
05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
And what do you mean but it is Texas Sec? Tell us where you're from, I'm sure I can find some absurd bills passed in your state. After all, politics tends to bring about the absurd.

Texas went heavily for Bush in the last election. Most Democrats down there are middle of the road are conservative politicians in the North. Here I agree with you about the absurdity of the bill and you're still bothered.

I beleive Texas is the Lone Star state, and they tread to a different drummer - the Bushistas. Frankly, I'd be quite happy to give them the independence they so much desire so that we could return to normalcy in the US. They can then pass their cheerleader legislation. Bush was a cheerleader. Perhaps he could be consulted on this.

lsbets
05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Sec, I think the only appropriate respone is to state the truth - you're an idiot. I stated that if we could probably find some pretty absurd bills passed where you live and that politics brings out the absurd, and you get agitated. You don't like Texas because Texas voted heavily for Bush? Okay, so did a lot of other States. The independance Texas wants? Yeah, there is an independance group, and everyone I know thinks they're a bunch of kooks who you only hear about when people bring them up to make the whole state look like a bunch of kooks. Better yet, how about we split into five states, like we are allowed to do, and pick up 8 more GOP Senators. Wow, that would suck for you.

Secretariat
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Sec, I think the only appropriate respone is to state the truth - you're an idiot.

LOL..it's all POV Isbets, and mine and yours diverge dramatically. Let's just agree to disagree, except in the case of the Lone Star State cheerleader bill we'll agree for maybe one of those few times.

Bobby
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Texas has always had that independent mentality. That slogan - don't mess with texas or that other one which says "Texas is a whole nother world"- kinda brings it to mind. Back years ago, I think there was a movement to suceed from the U.S..

YEa, texas messed up when they ousted ANN RICHARDS - a fine lady, lot of class about her. They pick Bush - start tearing off the filters and chimneys of the refineries --black smoke.

Equineer
05-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Hmmm... I heard the bill was a response to complaints that some Texas schools were letting pregnant Pro-Life cheerleaders prance around with bare midriffs. In any case, it was an ill-conceived attempt to suppress neo-con family values. ;)

ElKabong
05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Texas has always had that independent mentality. That slogan - don't mess with texas or that other one which says "Texas is a whole nother world"- kinda brings it to mind. .

"Don't mess with Texas" was a slogan begun by the Parks and Wildlife dept in the mid 80s. An anti litter campaign of sorts, Bobby.

The handful of idiots that wanted to seceed were laughed at. Still are. They represent less than 1% of the population here.

Bobby
05-04-2005, 12:23 PM
"Don't mess with Texas" was a slogan begun by the Parks and Wildlife dept in the mid 80s. An anti litter campaign of sorts, Bobby.

The handful of idiots that wanted to seceed were laughed at. Still are. They represent less than 1% of the population here.

I'm sure you are right, but . . .I've never seen those words by a trash can.

ElKabong
05-04-2005, 12:29 PM
If you were near a litter can on the beach here in the late 80s and early 90s, you would have. Still a few roadsigns w/ the slogan also.

ElKabong
05-04-2005, 12:34 PM
http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/campaigns.php

---How did 96 percent of Texans come to know this bold slogan? You may wonder how a little saying aimed at educating folks about not dropping their candy wrappers and soda cans took on a life of its own - catching on like wildfire and quickly becoming an internationally recognized rallying cry...

We Texans love to talk the talk. Don't Mess with Texas reminds folks to walk the talk and stop littering our landscape.---snip

Bobby
05-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, there's a lot more to that phrase than a litter slogan or it wouldn't be stamped flags, shirts, hats, pins. They aint THAT INTERESTED in LITTER IN TEXAS. Its nationalistic in its own way. Its a battle cry for the seceessionist.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I guess so is New Hampshire, right Bobby? "Don't Tread on Me" and all that jazz....kind of has the same ring as "Don't Mess With Texas"

Oh wait, that probably doesn't fit with your current mindset, so just ignore that I brought it up...

Bobby
05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I guess so is New Hampshire, right Bobby? "Don't Tread on Me" and all that jazz....kind of has the same ring as "Don't Mess With Texas"

Oh wait, that probably doesn't fit with your current mindset, so just ignore that I brought it up...

HUH! I know nothing about New Hampshire.

I live in Arkansas. You live in New York, if Im not mistaken. I see that "Don't Mess with Texas" all the time. The slogan is stamped on EVERYTHING. It has a meaning of ITS OWN. I've never ever seen it associated with a trash can, a piece of litter, or a garbage truck. Its about the Texas attitude. ITS NATIONALISTIC - PROUD TO BE A TEXAN type stuff. Surely you see that.

Now that stuff about its a battle cry for the seccessionist is a stretch. I know.

chickenhead
05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I see girls going to school dressed like cheap hookers, the cheerleader outfits are a step up in class from the everyday attire.

Equineer
05-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Some Additional Slogan Trivia...

State of New Hampshire (official): Live Free or Die

Gadsden Flag: Don't Tread on Me

Libertarian Political Action Groups/Committees (several): Don't Tread on Me

State of Texas (official): Friendship

TATPO (Texas Association of Trailer Park Operators): Don't Mess With Texas

OATPO (Ohio Association of Trailer Park Operators): Don't Mess With Texas

ElKabong
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Well, there's a lot more to that phrase than a litter slogan or it wouldn't be stamped flags, shirts, hats, pins. They aint THAT INTERESTED in LITTER IN TEXAS. Its nationalistic in its own way. Its a battle cry for the seceessionist.

"A battle cry for the seceesionist". ??? Man, talk about insane....

I just linked you a website that explained the slogan was begun in 1986 to curb littering here, yet you make this false statement>>They aint THAT INTERESTED in LITTER IN TEXAS.
Yeah man, we're not that interested. So less so that we got Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willie Nelson, Lee Ann Rymes, Tish Hinojosa and other entertainers to pitch the message.

I'm not certain why you'd take offense to people having pride in their homestate, but apparently you do. The message doesn't say "Arkansas is a piece of shit." No mention of any other state at all, Bobby.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM
People who don't "get it" tend to extrapolate that kind of thinking towards other areas of life....like anti-litter slogans....

Bobby
05-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, I agree it is an anti-littering slogan.

But more than that, at least to those who aren't texans, its about state pride, stay out of our affairs type stuff. It's anti-government, cowboy rhetoric. Let us Texans do it our way. Stay off our ranch.

Do you people see that side of it?

No, you can talk about ARKANSAS all you want. I know its bad.

chickenhead
05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Wasn't litter LadyBird's big cause?

ElKabong
05-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Chick,

Locally...Getting the state covered in wildflowers--Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes-- was what I recall about her from my youth.

I don't see that side of it myself, Bobby. On my visits to Minnesota and Louisiana they brag about their state, as well they should. I don't take any offense at all. Why should I?

kenwoodallpromos
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Politicians think the public perception of low morals gives them the right to take control of personal judgement.
Right or wrong, whichever cheerleaders are rejection from scholl sports for being too sexy should be shipped to the horse racetracks!
They can even play the national anthem at all tracks like real sports! :eek:

ljb
05-04-2005, 08:35 PM
If anyone gets "talking points" from MoveOn, was this topic on their list? Just curious....
PA,
I saw this on CNN this morning and thought it would be a thought provoking discussion. Apparently I was correct.

ljb
05-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Here's the link to the homepage for the author and chief sponsor of the bill:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist146/edwards.htm

What's that? Yes, he's a black Democrat from Houston. Is he part of the moral majority you point to Bobby? Are you still outraged ljb? I am, I think it was a waste of time when there are more important things our legislature could have taken care of, but it is also a hard bill for any politician to vote against - can't you see the next campaign "He voted to let cheerleaders dance like strippers!" My Rep voted for the bill, and I'm going to let her know I think it was a waste of time when I see her, but I won't hold it against her, most of her votes have been good ones, and like I said it was a no win situation for any politician once the bill was put up to a vote. We'll see what happens in the Senate. The bill was actually defeated in its first go round in the House, and was only passed after an amendment was made.

A Texas Democrat (Dixiecrat) makes Lieberman look liberal. I am not so outraged. I just posted the note to help folks like you see what's going on in this country today. I am glad to hear you are outraged. But you must admit this type of action riles up the fundamentalists and that means votes. Remember the Republicans prior to the last general election and their talk of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. It's all politics ls and many fall for the bs.

NoDayJob
05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I personally like suggestive dancing. I think its fun. It makes for a good night.

This must be the MORAL MAJORITY at it again. Well, get real. The moral majority's daughter is pregnant at 16.

:lol: More than likely the MORON MINORITY :lol:

NDJ

Tom
05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Is it Vermont who has "Live Free or DIE!"

How would you like to a prisoner in the state penetentary stamping out license plates with that slogan on them all day long, every day! :D

lsbets
05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
So ljb - Shiela Jackson Lee makes Lieberman look liberal? She's a Texas Democrat. Most people would call her one of the most liberal members of the house. Do you think about the crap you post, or do you just sound stupid by accident?

ljb
05-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Musta pulled your chain a bit hey ls. Is this lady the "black" Democrat that introduced the cheerleader bill? Oh and is a "black" Democrat different then your run of the mill everyday Democrat? Or did you put the descriptive lable in just to strengthen your argument? Or did you allow your racists attitude to creep in a bit?

Bobby
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Just b/c he said "black" doesn't mean he's racist. You know that. Yea, when I think of BLACK democrats I think of CHARLIE RANGEL from PA's district? No, he's harlem. ANyway, not good thoughts. I Don't want to go there.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
LBJ, people probably got the false impression that this bill was introduced by a "neo-con" Republican, since you failed to clarify this in your post.

Therefore, Lsbets use of the term black Democrat to further strengthen the point that this man isn't a neo-con Republican is totally understandable.

ljb
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
LBJ, people probably got the false impression that this bill was introduced by a "neo-con" Republican, since you failed to clarify this in your post.

Therefore, Lsbets use of the term black Democrat to further strengthen the point that this man isn't a neo-con Republican is totally understandable.
PA,
I don't really care who introduced it, my only point was it has been approved by the Texas congress and it is way overboard in my humble opinion. What does black Democrat have to do with the outrageousness of this bill? In GENERAL ,Texas has Republican conservatives and they have Democrat conservatives. The only difference being the amount of conservatism displayed by each.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
PA,
I don't really care who introduced it,

Come now LJB. If the person who introduced this bill had fit certain characteristics, you would have CARED VERY MUCH who it was....

lsbets
05-05-2005, 07:41 PM
That's the thing PA - he wanted people to assume that the bill was introduced by an evangelical conservative. Too bad for him he was called on it. Someone seems like they can't handle being exposed.

ljb
05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
PA and lsbets,
You guys are starting to sound a little paranoid. Perhaps you should both take a couple of days off the off topic board.

The bill was passed by the Texas congress. If you guys want to make a big deal over who introduced it go for it. I personally would be more concerned about it being passed and the direction it is taking our country. But go ahead blame it all on a "black" Democrat if it makes you feel better.

lsbets
05-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I didn't blame it on anyone - I pointed out who wrote the bill. You seem to be a very courageous man hiding behind your keyboard making allegations. Do you have the courage to step out from behind your monitor and do the same? I doubt it.

ljb
05-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Ls,
You need a break. A little r&r as it were.

Secretariat
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Is,

LJB makes an interestng point. Who in the heck DID vote for this bill? Do they have a breakdown on the net on who actually did the voting or do they just collect votes in a spitton in the Texas legislature?

Secretariat
05-07-2005, 05:03 PM
lol...

I hadn't heard about this part of the debate on this:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=721973&page=1

"Texas legislator Al Edwards was recently so unsettled by what he saw at one cheerleading event featuring nubile teens that he proposed a state law to end "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events. "It's just too sexually oriented," he said, "the way they're shaking their behinds and breaking it down."

Now there is an alternative: Christian cheerleading — where wholesomeness is the theme, "spirit" includes the "Holy Spirit" and the ultimate judge of each routine is believed to be God himself.

We believe that God gives us the talents and abilities that we have," says John Blake, a national coordinator for the Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders, the nation's largest faith-based cheerleading organization. "We think that doing the sports, doing cheerleading is a way that we can honor and worship God."

Equineer
05-07-2005, 06:02 PM
LOL also...

The name "Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders" is daffy enough to be plausible.

Is John Blake possibly the former Texas cheerleading coach who invented the "Grind For God" dance and the "Give Us A Woody" cheer?

Give us a W!

Give us an O!

Good God y'all, do it again!

Give us a D!

Give us a Y!

Now stand and shout for <school-name> High!

ElKabong
05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Equeer,

I like this "cheer" better...

"I pm'd you,
you didn't pm me back.
You're a cowardly piece of shit."

That 3rd line didn't rhyme but it suffices.

Equineer
05-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Elkabong,

Got your incomprehensible PM and trashed it because you didn't follow my show-me-the-money instructions (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187350&postcount=85). Learn to pay attention. :)

lsbets
05-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Okay Sec, you'll probably get a chuckle out of this. A couple of years ago, my neighbors took my wife, my son, and myself to their church's fall festival. There was a kid there about 10 years old running around dressed as Bible Man. I looked at my wife and said "You watch, that kid will be famous some day. We'll see him on the news in about 15 years as some kind of serial killer." You'd be surprised how often we might agree that some people go a little far.

Suff
05-07-2005, 10:10 PM
. "You watch, that kid will be famous some day. We'll see him on the news in about 15 years as some kind of serial killer." You'd be surprised how often we might agree that some people go a little far.

you notice we aint seen Boxcar since they picked up BTK?

Tom
05-07-2005, 11:05 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:

Secretariat
05-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Is,

Between Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, the runaway bride, and the Christian cheerleaders I wonder what they teach kids in journalism school today.

lsbets
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Alright Sec, lets see if we agree on any of the other three topics you just brought up:

Paula - who cares. Her best moment was a video with a stupid cartoon cat. Old and washed up, she should shoot for that VH1 reality show for has beens.

Michael Jackson - he's a freak, everyone knows it, but any parent who when a guy with his reputation says "Let your child sleep in my bed, it will make him feel better" agrees, is guilty of endaring the welfare of their child. I think this is a case where maybe the ability of the parent to make rational decisions in the best interest of their child needs to be evaluated. Sadly, if the freak gets off (no pun intended) I think there will be other parents willing to let their kids have a slumber party at Neverland.

Runaway bride - about the funniest thing I ever heard was her say "I did not have cold feet." But then I heard that he might still want to marry her. I have news for him, as much as he thinks he can hold this over her head for as long as they're married, he's wrong - she'll turn it around and blame him. They deserve each other.

On the cheerleader thing - back in high school and for a few years after I had a band. My singer decided one day to become born again. A few months later, he said he could only sing songs that would bring praise and glory to the Lord. We told him he was out of the band. He's still one of my best friends, but we had no interest in being the next Striper. Even though I tend to drift right in my politics, trust me, I view zealots with a healthy dose of skepticism, I just happen to have more skepticism for the anti-religious zealots than for the religious ones.

Secretariat
05-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Is,

My God, there is common ground. Agree 100% on all those points. So then as far as the news stories actually covered lately on TV, we appear to agree.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Now there is an alternative: Christian cheerleading — where wholesomeness is the theme, "spirit" includes the "Holy Spirit" and the ultimate judge of each routine is believed to be God himself.

Hey, why have any restrictions?? Why not just have every cheerleading routine end with a striptease act complete with a metal pole protruding quite phallically from the gymnasium floor?

ljb
05-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey, why have any restrictions?? Why not just have every cheerleading routine end with a striptease act complete with a metal pole protruding quite phallically from the gymnasium floor?
PA,
I think the restrictions should be set by the local folks. Perhaps the PTA or some such organization. And of course we can all set restrictions by our support/non-support of activities. Remember these cheerleaders are competeing with MTV and similiar types. As long as the American public is buying something it will be provided in one way or another. Regardless of laws passed by the government. This "bump and grind" cheerleading is most likely a result of espn's national cheerleading competitions. Just like folks say one thing in public and then go home, pull the shades and watch Desperate Housewifes, the bump and grind cheerleaders probably get the most viewers on espn. Boils down to the bottom line.
On another note regarding zealots, I could be wrong and will stand corrected if so but, I don't recall any anti-religion zealots blowing up abortion clinics and killing those who disagree with them.

Secretariat
05-08-2005, 10:51 AM

Is that what you think happened? Obviously, you haven't read the story.

Now, I would think that especially if the parents of the cheerleaders were bothered, the principal of the school was bothered, the cheerleading coach was bothered, the students were bothered, and the cheerleaders themselves were bothered, and the school board was bothered then maybe it would be a "local" story, but a legislator's tastes are offended...I thought Repubs were for local control. This is just an absurdity. A diversion from real news stories.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Is that what you think happened? Obviously, you haven't read the story.

Huh? Wha? Whoda? Whatda?

No, that's not what I think happened. I was providing a hypothetical extreme. Maybe going for a tawdry laugh....I don't know....whatever.....

This is a stupid topic no matter how you slice it....

Tom
05-08-2005, 06:47 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :p

Kreed
05-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Yeah SEC, REpubs fight for Local Control just like they fight for States' Rights.
Face it, REpubs want CONTROL & if states & localities get in their way they'll
just make it illegal to watch cheerleaders get down. Of course, that's why this
administration is making our gov't Smaller, Leaner, and Less Obtrusive. And its
paying off with much smaller budget deficits. At least thats what I heard.

ElKabong
05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm nothing short of fascinated by how a lot of people here are upset or hyped up over something that will have no affect on them whatsoever. I doubt this bill will become law, yet some of you guys are railing on as if it's already on the books in a state you don't live in or will likely see again in your lifetimes.

Last week in Boston, a guy got dragged off to jail for using a belt to spank his son. The kid had no marks on him. None. Yet the cops took him in for "assualt with a deadly weapon".

Now the father's up for a felony charge.

Here in Texas I couldn't give a rats ass on how Massachusetts, a liberal state, puts its thumb down on parents and tells them how they can and cannot raise their children. If Mass wants to be a police state wannabe on parenthood procedures, I say let em have at it. No shit off my ass.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=81061

Bobby
05-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Yea, that's really a shame. No spankins in Boston. DHS will come get you.
I guess timeouts or in the corner up there.

That cop . . .someone should bend him over and beat the shit out of em.

Equineer
05-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Bobby,

The police were duty bound to arrest Enloe after a criminal complaint was filed by his ex-wife.

However, that does not mean the prosecutor's office is compelled to prosecute Enloe...Authorities said Enloe's son, who was back in his father's care last night, did not suffer any injuries as a result of the incident.No injuries? And the father is apparently the custodial parent rather than the mother... a circumstance that is usually indicative of serious flaws in the mother's character.

Odds are that the charges will be quietly dropped by an enlightened prosecutor. Meanwhile, thousands of actual child abuse cases never make the news.

JustRalph
05-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Meanwhile, thousands of actual child abuse cases never make the news.

and why should they make the news? Child abuse is a common daily event. It is not news...........

Suff
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Last week in Boston, a guy got dragged off to jail for using a belt to spank his son. The kid had no marks on him. None. Yet the cops took him in for "assualt with a deadly weapon".

Now the father's up for a felony charge.

[/url]

I didn't see this. But what I found funny...or humorous, Was his comment

"You can't hit your kids or Yell at them in stores in front of Customers anymore"

This guy sounds like an ill-tempered bully. But since I'm not familiar with the case, Thats all I'll say.

Except.. Kids get abused physically and mentally. I think its important that parents see other Parents held accountable.....

A situation like this may make 100's of other parents think twice before they strike thier kids.

I beleive and the facts show... Violence of any kind upon a child is counter productive, ineffective and phsycologically harmful.

I'd be mighty skeptical about a Parent that found it Vital to defend the right to strike thier children.

Tom
05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
A good spanking never hurt any kid. Within reason, of course.
I used the F word exactly once in front of my father. I quickly learned not to ever do it again.