PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Op-Ed, from the NYT no less...

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/03/opinion/03tierney.html?ex=1272772800&en=4477f6678fc81db6&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

No, there isn't any major stuff here, but I think the key point is how this guy "gets it" when it comes to understanding the reasons why the Democrats couldn't beat "the worst President...ever"

ElKabong
05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
nailed it dead solid perfect....

--But middle-class Americans don't simply cast ballots for Republicans. They also vote with their feet, which is why blue states and old Democratic cities are losing population to red states and Republican exurbs. People are moving there precisely because of economic reasons - more jobs, affordable houses and the lower taxes offered by Republican politicians.

They're not moving for the churches, and they don't vote for Mr. Bush simply because he reads the Bible every day. One of the main reasons they like him is that he gets bashed so often. When Jon Stewart sneers at him, they empathize because they're used to being sneered at themselves. -snip

ljb
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
So basically what they are saying here is: Bushco has the religious fanatics fooled also. Kinda hypocratic don't ya all think?

Suff
05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
nailed it dead solid perfect....

Thank God. It took five years, but it was'nt until Laura Bush Joked about Jerking off a Horse that y'all came up with the reason y'all voted for him.

Bravo.

ElKabong
05-03-2005, 02:01 PM
At least the Democrats in the audience knew it was in humor...

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Actually, the point is, you guys still don't "get it" and probably never will.

Kreed
05-03-2005, 05:35 PM
I didnt get the entire Tierney piece except Bush milking a horse. The OpEd
is my favorite section usually but today's was flat. Even now I don't know why
Bush got any votes at all, let alone a majority. I dont think its flaterring to
claim Bush got votes because he gets bashed a lot. He gets bashed a lot
because he's a Disaster of a Prez.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 05:42 PM
See, you made my point. You don't "get it" either. That's ok.

JustRalph
05-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Actually, the point is, you guys still don't "get it" and probably never will.

Let me Say it Again! You just don't get it! You are missing it completely!

The fact that you don't get the article is a symptom of why you guys are losing ground......to the Red States.

Hell, the fact that you are blind to it makes me feel sorry for you. In some perverse way. No, not really.........well it depends on who you are.....:D

Kreed
05-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Okay, tell me what You See? I'm not clairvoyant. In fact I don't care personally
if BUSH won because I'm lucky enough not to be affected, but most of us
antiBush guys look at things socially, not personally.

Suff
05-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't understand.... Get what? What this Guy says? He says people are moving to Red States because

1. There are more Jobs. ( not true, but why argue)

2. Housing is cheaper. True..and whats not to get? House's are cheaper.

3 Lower State Tax's , True frequently.

So whats not to get....if thats what your saying?

hcap
05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Al Franken and Bill Maher were complaining that they could not have gotten away with that horse joke. Wonder what james dobson, pat robertson and all the other religio-fanatics think of lauras' risque performance.

Maybe it upped the rapture index? Joy in rapture land.

Wasn't the last dinner the one where mr preznit jokingly searched for WMDs?
Looking under the rug, behind the curtains. Heh Heh Heh.

Boy was that good for a laugh.

Suff
05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Boy was that good for a laugh.

I did'nt really think it was that funny. Mainly because The material just didn't fit her persona.... I was watching and I was sorta squinting..."That's Laura Bush Right?" And she's telling Horse Masturbation Jokes? I though the material was good... funny even. I just could'nt match the face with the name, with the content. Librarians telling Wanker Jokes is funny in its own right.

The angle I like that's being played..is the "See! We can act Like Democrats!" "We aren't a bunch of tight wads"...

What's funnier is this "Don't get it" mantra. We all get it. Believe me , we get it. What's not got... is that you can't really say what it is, you got... and want... So low housing cost's in Idaho is like a Code Word.... Because if you think a Guy in Providence Rhode Island, voted for George Bush because a Single Family Ranch in Boise is $89,000.00 There's a lot you don't get...but the first thing you need to get.....is Your Medication!

bettheoverlay
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Yea, I don't know what all this "getting" is about. A politician was elected President, and I don't agree with most of his policies. Happens to alot of people every four years. Whats Bush supposed to have, the Holy Grail or something?

What I don't "get", and never have, are people who are so in love with their own opinions, who seem to believe they have indeed found the Grail, and the rest of us just better acknowledge it, and "get" in the lockstep line before its too late.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 07:20 PM
See Suff, you don't get it either....too bad...

I'm finished trying to enlighten the people in the dark...LOL

Have fun gnashing your teeth and wringing your hands for the next 3 years....

chickenhead
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
everyone believes their own bs. I get that much.

Kreed
05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
who exactly is Gnashing Their Teeth? I think conservatives think WE really
care just for OUR teeth when we care for everyone's Teeth? Its not that
Personal, its Political.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
You're gnashing your teeth over Bush.

bettheoverlay
05-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Imagine all the gnashing of teeth in three years, if the demon woman, Hillary, gets elected President.

Kreed
05-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I like Hillary. Maybe she can offer us more choices.

Kreed
05-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Its our concern BEYOND OURSELVES. thats what "GLOBAL" implies.
We DEMS-LIBS like the WORLD -- which frightens Conservatives. WE don't scare
EASY.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
We DEMS-LIBS like the WORLD -- which frightens Conservatives.

Easily the dumbest statement of the day.

Kreed
05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
TY Mike, I accept all superlatives. You Know you are my greatest adversary
Here.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Gotta call em as I see em. You'll get no pass from me.

Tom
05-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I get it.....I had to vote for Bush to keep Kerry out. I still say Bush has turned out ot be the worst president in history, and our current congress isthe worst ever assembled. Nieth branch will protect our borders or enforce out laws. Both have a solid agenda of protecting big business at the expense of the lititle guy.
Limiting law suit awards, revising bankruptcy laws, threatening to reduce SS benifits, all the while ignoring national security, failing to enforce our laws,and allowing our ountry to be overrun and then sucking up to the evil leader of Mexico. I got sold a bill of goods by Bush.....and I will never believe a word this guys says again on any subject. When he outright lied about the air quality in NYC right after 9-11 should have been a wake up call, but I minimized it. My bad. N Korea is now a grater threat than Iraq ever was, and Bush is failing to react. Now today, we hear about the nations of CAFTA in South America....every one of them blatant violatotors of worker's rights and world labor laws...yet there is Bush, right in bed with them. And China....outrageos violator of human rights and we make them most favored trade partners???/ While they screw us by violating trade laws??? Where is the great Bush whilethis is going on? Petting his pony?:confused:

Suff
05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
See Suff, you don't get it either....too bad...

I'm finished trying to enlighten the people in the dark...LOL

Have fun gnashing your teeth and wringing your hands for the next 3 years....

LOL.... Thats funny. Because Did'nt you say you Voted for Bush because he was the better Choice of two disappointing Canditates? Now you implying your reasons are so intrinsic that no one gets it. Comical.

I aksed a question, albiet rhetorical, about the article you posted. It said the reasons people voted for Bush and/or were moving from Blue States to Red States was Housing , Jobs & Lower Tax's. Correct? Thats what he states in his column correct? And I get that. I typed as much. So what don't I get.. Is there something in those three points that only you can see? Lol...

Believe me... I get everything. I get more than I care to get, unfortunately.

I could go on...But its fruitless.. because its all abstract with you guys.. You just want be swayed by facts.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Most everything on Off-Topic is fruitless....but hey, why let that stop anyone?

All we do is :bang: :bang: :bang:

Secretariat
05-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Tom,

We disagree about Kerry, but i do agree Bush is w/o question the worst President ever.

As far as CAFTA, it makes me sick. What the #$%^ is wrong with them down there? As far as communist Red China, it is disgraceful. I'm not sure what it is going to take to wake people up to this giving up on our complete manufacturing base.