PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Society: Parcells to the SPA

Suff
05-03-2005, 08:37 AM
After four months in sunny Florida, I am back and raring to go. Here is the first Inside Saratoga of the season.

Saratoga Society columnist Jeanette Jordan

JJ's notebook

- While enjoying a night out at a sports bar restaurant while I was a snowbird in Florida, I thought my eyes had deceived me (sorry for name dropping) when just four booths away was none other than Dallas Cowboys football coach Bill Parcells.

I did know he was having a home built in Saratoga Springs and was a real fan of Saratoga Race Course. So it gave me the perfect excuse to approach him. He was receptive once I mentioned Saratoga and he realized I wasn't an autograph seeker. In fact, he pumped me with questions for at least 10 minutes.

Contractor John Witt is building him an extraordinary 8,000- square-foot home between Lake Lonely and Saratoga Lake.

'I'm planning to be (in Saratoga) for six months,' he said. He also has a home on Jupiter Island, Fla.

While here last year, he met his soon-to-be neighbors Margie and Ron Stribley. 'I hope they don't mind the size of the house,' Parcells said.

Parcells does own racehorses and is also a good friend of Mike Francesca, who frequents the Saratoga race meet each year. Francesca is co-host of 'Mike and the Mad Dog,' which originates on WFAN New York and is also carried on our YES network.

- As my husband and I were about to enter the Virginia Welcome Center on our way back from Florida, I sighted a bus carrying teens from Presbyterian New England Congregational Church in Saratoga Springs.

After we both made a pit stop at the center, I found out the kids were spending three days of their school vacation working on a mobile home and house in Cary, N.C. Church pastor the Rev. Jay Ekman said there were 22 kids and 10 chaperones. Isn't it nice to see teens that give of themselves?

SLA hosts spring gala

The Saratoga Lake Association hosted its first black-tie spring gala April 9 at Panza's Restaurant on Route 9P. Because of its success, the committee is planning to continue the festivity each year.

A turnout of 132 association members, friends and family, as well as a few area representatives including county supervisors for Saratoga Springs, Anthony 'Skip' Sirrocco and Phil Klein, and Stillwater town Supervisor Greg Connors, were in attendance.

Panza's was the perfect venue, providing an elegant atmosphere with a delectable menu. Tulips from Meme's Florist of Corinth were perfect centerpieces to usher in spring.

Guests danced all evening to the sounds of DJ duo 'Plug and Play' and enjoyed a wonderful floorshow presented by a dance team from Saratoga Savoy.

The SLA events committee has many upcoming happenings scheduled. Anyone wishing to see what is in store can log onto www.saratogalake.org.

LGO feasts on pasta while listening to Puccini

The Friends of Lake George Opera and Lake George Opera presented their fourth annual 'Pasta & Puccini' at Panza's Restaurant April 16 and 17.

Each year, this popular event has grown, which was evidenced by a sell-out crowd on Saturday night, with Sunday evening's crowd closely rivaling Saturday's.

Co-chairwomen for the event were Lois Collins and Patricia Gallagher.

'Gondoliers' garbed in authentic gondolier shirts direct from the Gondola Factory in Venice, Italy, greeted everyone.

Guests enjoyed cocktails and antipasto appetizers while being serenaded by accordionist Tommy Ippolito. They also could purchase a 'lucky balloon' while mingling with friends, in hopes of winning a variety of 'Italian-themed' prizes.

After the cocktail hour, partygoers were treated to a sumptuous Italian meal at tables adorned with Chianti bottles and checkered tablecloths. A concert given by LGO artists: soprano Rebecca Cummings, mezzo-soprano Hilerie Klein Rensi, tenor Aaron Estes, baritone Robert Ian Weintraub and pianist Lisa Laskowich added to the opera-focus evening.

LGO General Director William Florescu was emcee. The program featured music from Puccini's 'Tosca & Gianni Schicchi,' Verdi's 'La Traviata' and 'Rigoletto,' Rossini's 'Barber of Seville,' as well as favorite Italian folksongs and sing-along tunes like 'Arrivaderci Roma,' 'Finiculi,' 'Funicula' and 'That's Amore.' On Sunday evening the singers sang a special Happy 85th Birthday to longtime LGO board member Louise Desormeau.

Guests included AC and John Riley, Alayne and Henry Trombley, Lake George Opera board president Ted Newlin and his wife Carol, Deane Pfeil, Denise Polit and Alan Janosy, Friends of LGO board member and 'gondolier' William Allerdice, Margot and Robert Tulin, Pat and Vic Mion, Friends of Lake George Opera President Bob DeSio and his wife Pat, Friends board member Lois Collins and her husband Gene, Ruth Lakeway, Susan Bokan, LGO board member Martin Hebert and his wife Adrianne, Friends of LGO board member Virginia McMorris and her husband Bruce, Debbie and David Harper, Kathie and Charlie DiSanto, Sandy Serafini, Lee and John Nelson, Margie and Ronald Stribley, Doris and Custer Quick, Ruth and Robert Yates and LGO board member Christine McDonald.

Society columnist Jeannette Jordan's Inside Saratoga runs every Tuesday. You can make requests via e-mail to her attention at augie1930@netzero.net, call her at 584-6620, or send her information to 13 Elizabeth Lane, Gansevoort, NY 12831

cj
05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Suff, with you in town at the same time, Bill will just be "The Little Tuna!"

Suff
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Suff, with you in town at the same time, Bill will just be "The Little Tuna!"

I'm just a Humble servant of the Lord.

Zaf
05-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Maybe we can all crash at Bill's House, Who's House ? , BILL'S HOUSE ! :D

ZAFONIC

John
05-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Step aside big tuna, The big man is coming to town, This year the king of Saratoga is bring his Pied Piper. Just follow the tune Guys for the time of your life.
:) :) :)