PDA

View Full Version : Trainers that NEED to be in the derby , regardless

frankfig
05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Year in year out Lukas and Baffert Need to be on tv at the Derby, regardless if there horses belong or not. Lukas says The Blue Grass doesnt matter that much. If he would have won would it not have been a big deal ?? There horses didnt run a step but out comes the old exuses, didnt handle track, didnt ship well, missed a work,ect,ect. They are handed the Best bred horses that didnt make the grade but force there way in to the race. Are they afraid they will lose clients and people will forget about them ? How many horses have broken down during or training for triple crown races that they didnt belong in for Lukas ? I am not lying but i had a feeling one of the lukas horses was going to get hurt. I hope Going Wild stays healthy. I wish they cared more about there horses and had more class like SHUG. He had a valid case to enter Survivalist, but he said he WAS NOT good enough. I know Survivalist is not that great as we saw on Sat, But he is better than the horses Baffert and Lukas are showing up with.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. Shug has never had a horse break down on him. Wild stuff. No wonder he's in the HOF.

TOOZ
05-03-2005, 06:52 AM
It's Churchill's fault. If they limit to entries to 12-14, we wouldn't see the garbage just so pictures can be taken and parties can be attended. Plus I think the 3 year old prep races would be more competitive. Or they should allow post draw by graded earnings. It's not fair that a High Fly or Afleet Alex has the possibility of getting a post 20, while some other pig gets prime real estate.

stuball
05-03-2005, 08:36 AM
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE AMERICAN DREAM....LET THE LITTLE GUYS
IN ---THE DERBY WOULD NOT BE THE SAME WITH 12 HORSES....NOR WOULD THE PAYOFFS...IMHO

STUBALL :bang:

BIG RED
05-03-2005, 09:07 AM
If we can't find 20 horses nationwide who ' deserve ' to be in the derby, then horseracing has gone down the tubes. And I agree with stu, the more the merrier for the bettor. :ThmbUp:

JPinMaryland
05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
...they should allow post draw by graded earnings. It's not fair that a High Fly or Afleet Alex has the possibility of getting a post 20, while some other pig gets prime real estate.

Boy, I never thought about that but what an idea! Do any horse races ever do it that way?

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
I agree with Stuball. They have a graded stakes earning requirement in case there is a full field of 20 entered. What more can you ask for? If a horse has graded stakes earnings, he probably "deserves" to be in.....

Now, if there isn't a full field of 20, then I also believe if someone wants to pony up the cash to get in, they should be in, regardless if Joe Handicapper thinks they have a shot or not. Like Stuball said, it's the American Dream, for some.

Bobby
05-03-2005, 10:27 AM
BUT . . .

For a lot of these horses, the derby is just a big RETIREMENT party. Look at how many survive to be racing 4 yr olds, very few.

After this edition, a couple will retire and most will never regain form.

Sometimes you gotta do what's best for the horse, not for owner/trainers social standing.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
And you think if they didn't run in the Derby, they'd be around as a 4 or 5yo?

Doubtful. Very, very doubtful. Most of these Derby horses who "suck" are still very well bred, and are worth "something" in the breeding shed. If they suck on the track, they are whisked away to the farm, Derby or no Derby.

Bobby
05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Your probably right, but nevatheless . . . a retirement party.