PDA

View Full Version : Back problems

Valuist
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I had some nasty back spasms recently. They started up about 2 months ago and were improving after two chiropractic adjustments, then a wave of cold damp weather that has hit the past 2 weeks has knocked out any improvement. The pain starts from the lower back any goes into the leg, particularly the hamstring. I tried working out twice in the past week and that helped considerably, at least for a day. I'm not real crazy about going to a regular doctor for a nerve problem because they tend to just prescribe painkillers, which mask, not solve the problem. Any ideas out there for therapy?

ElKabong
05-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree on your comment about doctors when it comes to pain.

Physical therapists are great for rehab'ing both ailments & injuries. I'd take them over chiro's myself, esp for a problem you described. If working out helped your back then I'd bet a PT could be the answer for you (since they basically prescribe excercise/ phys therapy).

Suff
05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I had some nasty back spasms recently.

pssst...I gotta guy , dat maybe help u out. call him 1-800-282-2882

Valuist
05-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Elkabong-

I think I'll check my insurance and see whats covered re: PT. Until then, I'm going to try working out 4 times a week. This is messing up my handicapping; sitting is the worst thing. I tried to handicap on Saturday and finally had to quit since sitting and reading the DRF was only making it worse.

46zilzal
05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Good muscle relaxant but only symptomatic and it would be best to get at the source. Hmm forget but I think it is Rx in your neck of the woods but OTR here. Warm moist heat (heating pad with an internal sponge to transfer the heat through a media to the skin) helps tremendously, but again symptomatic.

Chiropractors... Oh my! you should read the history of the "science" created by Daniel David Palmer and is son B.J. who startred the whole thing by "cuing" a Mr. Lillard of deafness by "popping" his back with the wonderful ignorance that the 8th cranial nerves (Auditory nerve and accounts for the neural reception of hearing) never go ANYWHERE NEAR THE SPINAL CORD. Ronald Reagan got his first job as an announcer on their radio station WOC (World of Chiropractic)

JustRalph
05-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Is it Sciatica? If so........it took me a year of chiropractic and three weeks of intense physical therapy followed by nightly hot tub to get over the hump. Two adjustments by a chiropractor is a waste of time. 6 months at least to show any real improvement. I get adjusted 3 times a week and still hit the tub at night a couple times a week. All this from a car wreck about 4 years back.

I am in pain every day. But not that bad anymore. I have my bad days though. They come when the weather changes to cold and wet really quick. Believe it or not a treadmill works wonders on it. 5-15 minutes depending on how I feel. I usually run the last two minutes or so. There was a time when I couldn't do two minutes at a slow walk.

Stick with the Chiropractor and go for the PT also. Remember, Chiropractors are like mechanics..........there are good ones........and bad ones.......find a good one.

JustRalph
05-02-2005, 06:18 PM
pssst...I gotta guy , dat maybe help u out. call him 1-800-282-2882

Boy, you are hung up on this guy this week huh?

kenwoodallpromos
05-02-2005, 08:48 PM
http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/healthnotes.aspx?ContentID=2895002&lang=en.
Good stuff!

Tom
05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Hot compresses and PT are my suggstions. My lack of a disc tends to interfer with a nerve and I get that pain radiating down the leg, too. PT taught me howto regcognize where the problem was and how to "stretch" it out. I can usually correct any ptoblems within a day or so, and then Alleve helps me through the rough days. PT alsom helped me through a very painful knee injury - never had a bad day with the knee again.

Here's a back thing I do every day - stand facing a stair way. Lift on leg up and onto a step as high as you can wtih out pain - it may only be the second step at first. I try to get the leg up to waist level. Now bend forward, keeping the foot/heel on the step and the other leg wtih knee slightly bent. Bend as far as you can to get you chest close to your extended leg. Hold, don't bounce, for a count of 30.
Stand back straight for a count of 30, then repeat wtih the other leg.
I do this several times a day, whenever I get to a staircase and no one is around.

DO NOT do this is you get severe pain-see your doctor. don't take chances-you want to stretch, not injure.

I find keeping the back loosened and the hamstring stretched out help me avoid bad days more than anything.

Another good exercise - lay flat on the floor, on your stomach for a minute.
Then raise up on your elbows, arching your back, for two minutes.
Back to flat, one minute, then raise up on your hands, arching your back, three minutes. Again, if you get pian, stop. You should get that "feels good pain", not a hurting pain.
Good luck, and remeber, don't do it if it hurts - check with your doctor first.
And one last thing, check with your doctor - don't hurt yourself. :)

Tee
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I had some nasty back spasms recently. They started up about 2 months ago and were improving after two chiropractic adjustments, then a wave of cold damp weather that has hit the past 2 weeks has knocked out any improvement. The pain starts from the lower back any goes into the leg, particularly the hamstring. I tried working out twice in the past week and that helped considerably, at least for a day. I'm not real crazy about going to a regular doctor for a nerve problem because they tend to just prescribe painkillers, which mask, not solve the problem. Any ideas out there for therapy?

Valuist,

Go see a neurosurgeon or at the very least an orthopod. The radiating pain that goes into the leg is something that really needs to be examined. You could have a blown disc that is pressing on the nerve, thus causing your pain.

I've seen too many people try physical therapy, chiropractors, big needles full of pain meds & it doesn't cure the problem.

Just food for thought,

Tee

ElKabong
05-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Valuist,

http://cbs11tv.com/health/local_story_122160937.html

I saw this segment on the local 5 and 6 oclock news. A PHD who does health news segments for ch11 here gave a couple of examples of how moderate excercise can relieve many cases of lower back pain. FWIW...

Valuist
05-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Ralph-

Yeah, it is sciatica. I've had this before but its never lasted this long. I'm hoping the expected warmer weather helps and if it doesn't, I think I'm going to have to go to some orthopedic doctor.

Some good advice from all on here. I may try some of those PT exercises Tom suggested. One takes for granted being pain free until something like this hits. I see others on here can relate.

Overlay
05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I had the same problem thirty years ago. I had a retail sales job where I was on my feet all day, and walking or bending was killing me. The pain started in my hip and gradually went down my left leg. I finally went to a doctor who took x-rays and said I had a herniated disc in the lower part of my spine (the lumbar region) that was bulging out because of the load my weight (especially in my midsection) was exerting on my back, and the disc was putting pressure on my sciatic nerve, which ran down my leg. He ordered me to bed for two weeks and told me to lose weight, both of which I did. I believe he also prescribed a muscle relaxant, although I don't recall staying on it for any prolonged period of time. (Luckily, I didn't need surgery.) The problem gradually went away with time and lifestyle changes (mostly eating habits), although to this day I've lost the ability to raise myself on the toes of my left foot due to weakening of my calf muscle, and I still feel the effects whenever I sleep on a mattress that's not firm enough.

JustRalph
05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Overlay is right...........as a certified fat ass (just ask Suff) I can attest to the fact that if you are overweight.........it makes it worse.........

<-----------------------

toetoe
05-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Try an osteopath, if you can find one. Just like a chiro, not so greedy. One-visit fixes, when possible. Mine calls himself an "osteo-quack." Gotta love somebody like that, no?

Lefty
05-03-2005, 09:03 PM
JR, suff is just showing his liberal compassion.

bobbyb
05-04-2005, 06:12 AM
Valuist, I understand your pain - I too suffered with Sciatica (and Tom's advice was almost exactly what I did to help strengthen my lower limbs). One other Important thing - the shoes (same as in racing). A very good Sports Doc. suggested I stay with One pair of shoes (during my bouts) - the best fitting shoes I owned - and wear them whenever/wherever. He pointed out that changing to various shoes i.e. runners, then loafers, then dress syle affected my balance to such a degree (during the bouts) that recovery was longer - perhaps try it. It turned out to be a better alternative to taking drugs, and it really helped me.

bobbyb

Tom
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Bobby, great point about the shoes. We have a place called The Footstore around here - not sure if is local or a chain, but they make special inserts for your shoe - crafted to propely align you from the feet right upthrough the knees and hips.A good sports therapy place can do the same thing. Amazing howmuch a bad shoe can through your entire body off kilter.