PDA

View Full Version : Todays six-stringers aren't exactly gunslingers

Shacopate
05-02-2005, 01:59 AM
I think Bob Segar said it best..."just gimme that 'ole time rock 'n roll."

Can anyone name one guitar player, from todays music, that can cut hair like these 1980's barbers; Randy Rhodes, Eddie Van Halen or Ywengie Malmsteem?

JustRalph
05-02-2005, 06:52 AM
I think Bob Segar said it best..."just gimme that 'ole time rock 'n roll."

Can anyone name one guitar player, from todays music, that can cut hair like these 1980's barbers; Randy Rhodes, Eddie Van Halen or Ywengie Malmsteem?

Kenny Wayne Shepard. Although he stole his entire deal from Stevie Ray......

Valuist
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Shac-

I agree 100%. Seems like rock IS dead. The best rockers are all over 40; mostly over 50, IMO.

so.cal.fan
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
If you have music channels on your digital cable.....check out Bluegrass music.
Most of has been recently recorded (2000-2005)
There are several world class guitarist who record this music......many of them used to perform with Jerry Garcia who most of you remember from the Grateful Dead, but was a class bluegrass/folk artist, had a group called Old and In the Way.
Several of the guitarists play with popular artists in pop music today.

Tom
05-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Eric Clapton still going strong. And Paul McCartney....new tour this fall.

Shacopate
05-03-2005, 02:32 AM
So Cal,

I'm gonna check that out because I think that Roy Clark was one of the best pickers ever. Major virtuoso.

Ralph,

Yeah, KWS can play.

Mainstream radio today leaves me cold. I heard a pop song the other day that sampled an old Randy Rhodes guitar riff. They replaced the strings with keys and it sucks. NO BITE whatsoever. Randy Rhodes died at a young age,
21 I think?, and he would be rolling over if he heard that crap.

If you love rock 'n roll, you love a great guitar solo. Ain't happening today.

Hosshead
05-03-2005, 08:47 AM
If you have music channels on your digital cable.....check out Bluegrass music.
Bluegrass on your computer .... www.BluegrassCountry.org

so.cal.fan
05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Hosshead!

One of my favorite groups is King Wilkie....all young guys.
I found this interview with them on your website link:
http://www.bluegrasscountry.org/programs/aotm/2004/king_wilkie/

ElKabong
05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Eric Clapton still going strong. And Paul McCartney....new tour this fall.

Clapton! Nothing like him. The guy made it look so easy... Best performer I've ever seen.

Valuist
05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Randy Rhoads was unbelievable. Too bad we didn't get to hear more of his work.

OTM Al
05-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Neil Young can still tear it up when the mood is on him.

Buddy Love
05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
One of my favorite groups is King Wilkie....all young guys.

So.Cal.Fan,

I couldn't agree more with you about King Wilkie. We know the father of one of the band members. Other groups we like are Seldom Scene, Rhonda Vincent and many others.

We just got into Bluegrass a couple of months ago from a background in rock, classical, and jazz. The improvisation and harmonies are amazing. With bluegrass you can actually get people together to jam with. Also, after concerts you can talk to the musicians. What a concept! Musicians who appreciate their fans.

For guitartists I'd list Tony Rice, Steve Kaufman, Jerry Douglas, Doc Watson, and Norman Blake. In rock, my all-time best is Jimi, Robert Fripp, Stevie Ray, Clapton, Steve Howe.

Dan

so.cal.fan
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Danthebluegrassman....

I just discovered the Bluegrass Music channel on my digital cable TV.
It's great......I grew up listening to country music, I am old enough to recall listening to it back before 1950.
I was a big fan in the 50's, 60's, 70's,80's....then someone "committed a murder down on music row" and country music in general disappeared as I knew it. I stopped listening to it on radio.
They didn't play much bluegrass on radio after 1965 here in Calif. because much of it was folk/protest/Berkeley/San Francisco stuff, and the country stations were conservative. We never got to listen much to Doc Watson or Hazel Dickens or Jerry Garcia.
Seems now, they have all come back and are making new and really good music. Allison Krauss draws big crowds here in So. Cal.
I would love to go see King Wilkie band, I wish they would come to So. Cal.
Tell your friend, King Wilkie has fans in So. Cal. :)

Buddy Love
05-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I would love to go see King Wilkie band, I wish they would come to So. Cal.
Tell your friend, King Wilkie has fans in So. Cal. :)

So.Cal.Fan,

I'll let them know that. What's interesting is that most bluegrass groups have day jobs and just play on weekends. Like Seldom Scene out of DC they all work at other professions and just play weekends or at festivals.

It's really great down here. Now is the Bluegrass Festival season and there's many two day festivals through the summer down here. You can go camping, hear great music, and party!

I agree about Country music. It is like some hybrid now of Country and Rock. Some kind of glitzy thing trying to be good ol' boys. I don't listen to it. I listen to the old traditional Country and also Western Swing since I grew up in West Texas. I still love rock, classical, and jazz.

Here's something I found out about the guitar. As you know, in today's world playing the guitar is kind of viewed as a 'guy' thing. But what's interesting is that the modern form of playing the guitar like playing notes between chords, playing lead along with rhythm, playing lead, and even the concepts of playing slide guitar was created by Mother Maybelle Carter back in the late 20's and early 30's.

Listen to some old Carter family songs from back then and you'll be amazed. A lady living in the mountains with her catalog ordered guitar invented the way the modern guitar is played today. Truly amazing. She's never gotten the acknowledgement that she deserves.

Later,

Dan

so.cal.fan
05-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh, I think Mother Maybelle Carter is recognized as a true pioneer, Buddy Love.
I love her on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's album " Will the Circle be Unbroken".
I know among muscians, Mother Maybelle is one of a kind.
Bluegrass has such an interesting history. A combination of Anglo Saxon music from the British Isles and African American music from the deep south.
So many of the old time pioneers of country and bluegrass music such as Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams Sr. Doc Watson....were strongly influenced by old black muscians. A truly interesting history.
I envy your festivals down there....they sound wonderful!

Buddy Love
05-03-2005, 09:17 PM
So.Cal.Fan,

I agree with you. Celtic music with it's roots from No. Africa and India. Amazing how music genres are all tied together.

I enjoy flamenco and gypsy music, too. Gyspy Kings and Luis Vallejo is great stuff.

Oh, I forgot my main man, David Grisman on the mandolin.

Dan