PDA

View Full Version : Goldberg on ESPN critique

saratoga guy
04-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Maybe it's just me -- but why is Hank Goldberg on the ESPN racing telecasts?!?

I've produced TV for many years. I'm occasionally in front of the camera. So I can appreciate the difficultly. But some people are pretty good at it -- other aren't.

When I'm watching Goldberg I'm kind of vicariously embarrassed. It's like you feel for the guy because it seems like he can't spit out what he wants to say -- or says something like what he said to owner Hughes after the Derby Trail Saturday, asking what if Don't Get Mad was "on the bubble" for the Derby.

Graciously Hughes kind of laughed it off -- but what did it even mean?!? Don't Get Mad is in, Greeley's Galaxy is on the bubble -- but even if Goldberg had gotten that straight, he'd pretty much already asked the question, and gotten it answered from Hughes, two or three times during the telecast. So again, the "on the bubble" question was a little bit cringe-inducing.

Maybe they should limit his role -- and let someone else handle the interviews...

Dan Montilion
04-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Perhaps he works cheap.

Dan Montilion

Lasix1
04-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Perhaps he works cheap.

Dan Montilion
He needs a day job because his picks are so bad.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2005, 12:21 AM
I've brought this up in the past about Goldberg. I'm in agreement with you on this saratoga guy....

Maybe he really is Bobby Frankel's long lost brother?

JPinMaryland
05-01-2005, 12:28 AM
He's is awkward on tv. no doubt about it. But dont you think they need a Jimmy the Greek type to keep everyone honest?

ALl the rest of the crew is pretty much starch shirt types. Randy Moss is always nattily attired, Kenny Mayne seems pretty straight. Charlesea Cantey always reminds me of high society (that Cantey name is right out of the old south).

So they need a misfit, a chubby, funny guy who likes to bet.

rastajenk
05-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Neumeier works well in that role. I agree, if Hank ever had a "prime," he's well past it. Surely there's someone doing in-house work at a track somewhere that can do better and might deserve a shot...Beulah twins, for starters. :cool:

karlskorner
05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Hank Goldberg is a product of Miami radio, had a sports program for several years, did a couple of seasons at CRC, then went onto ESPN doing Dolphin broadcasts. Full of himself, but then again, nobodys perfect.

toetoe
05-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Hank can always call the races at GGF/BM, cantey?

bettheoverlay
05-01-2005, 02:05 PM
I still can't figure out why Kenny Mayne is hosting most of the shows. I guess ESPN doesn't know what else to do with his "look how clever I am" hipsterism. Hopefully they will find someone more knowledgeable on racing for the Breeders Cup.

blind squirrel
05-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I still can't figure out why Kenny Mayne is hosting most of the shows. I guess ESPN doesn't know what else to do with his "look how clever I am" hipsterism. Hopefully they will find someone more knowledgeable on racing for the Breeders Cup.

what's wrong with KENNY MAYNE,he actually likes horse
racing,and MOSS is the perfect straight man for his
act.....at least he hasn't said BELLAMY ROAD is "restaurnt
quality".

Tom
05-01-2005, 08:08 PM
I think Kenny Mane is the best thing about ESPN or any networkds race coverage - the guy is pure entertainment.:ThmbUp:

Lasix1
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I think Kenny Mane is the best thing about ESPN or any networkds race coverage - the guy is pure entertainment.:ThmbUp:
Yes, Yes, two-thumbs way up for Kenny Mane! He's fresh, smart, dry, and entertaining. Besides, no announcer I ever heard before called horses affectionately "the animals." That, alone, earned him my undying gratitude.

Cloud man
05-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm willing to overlook Hank Goldberg as long as I'm able to watch Thea Andrews do those lame stories leading up to the Derby. In my book she is a serious babe.:kiss:

kingfin66
05-02-2005, 01:07 AM
It's good to see the support for Kenny Mayne. He worked in Seattle many years ago and, from what I've heard, is widely regarded as one of the good guys in the industry. He actually was out of a job for awhile and was unloading trucks for cash to pay medical bills because he has a child with special needs. I'ver never felt that he was the most talented or glib guy on the air, but he is pretty likeable.

nijoan
05-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Why do you pay attention to what these guys have to say? It's good enough that they even broadcast races, what the talking heads have to say to me is irrelevant.

Valuist
05-02-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd much rather see Jill Arrington, Sam Ryan or Ann Werner instead of Goldberg. Like Nijoan said, what the talking heads say is irrelevant. But at least those 3 are easy on the eyes.

Wiley
05-02-2005, 10:13 AM
The relevancy of what these guys say may be insignificant to members of this board, but you are looking at horse racing people here. The problem I see is this is what the masses see or possibly their only contact with the sport and what horse racing is or is all about, so to me it is important what they say.
I personally don't care for Kenny Mayne, I like him in other venues, but in horse racing I get the feeling he likes racing, horses, etc. but it is some kind of crap shoot to him - if he or Moss can't figure it out ...oh well. It's been said before make it more technical/intellectual - like the popular poker series or wall street shows. Jay Privman or Neumeir along those lines. I do like Moss, he has got a pretty good feel/passion/knowledge of the game. I cannot understand Goldberg's presence either.
Pack and Axthelm were hilarious on the old BC broadcasts, tough to have that type run the whole show though. Those guys had some passion/conviction in there picks which is good, take a stand and fight about it.

e_r
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
At least Goldberg has an opinion;
what's Mayne's excuse? other than being an idiot and not remotely entertaining.

Plently of knowledgeable horse people out there who can do a much better job.

Oh, keep forgetting, that would be going away from the intent of the programming.

BeatTheChalk
05-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Kenny is a full time employee on ESPN. He has done it all ....He was involved
with Nascar for a few years. If you think he is trying to be cutesy now..
U should have heard him in the old Nascar days. BRUTAL is the word that
comes to mind. Actually I caught his act over the weekend. He seems to
have eliminated his " usual shtick " .. at least he seemed to be a lot better
this time around....Now let's see .. how can I bet the Bud Longshot ..when
it is given out .. about 3 minutes to post ?? LOL

toetoe
05-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Let's get down on our knees and thank God we don't have to deal with:

1) Jimmy Kimmel
2) Craig Kilborn
3) Scott Ferrall
4) Steve Lyons
5) That Englishman in the deerstalker hat that NBC always interviewed at the Breeders' Cup.

JEEZ! These "personalities" spewing their "talent" would be about as low as our sport could ever get.

saratoga guy
05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
...and on ESPN's post position draw show: Ugh.

thonger10
05-05-2005, 09:36 PM
He is now, from my count, 0 for his last 500 picks on television. I have never in my life seen anyone even close to as bad as he is at handicapping! How does this guy still have a job? If he picks Bellamy Road on Saturday, throw him out!

The Kman:p

Lasix1
05-05-2005, 09:42 PM
He is now, from my count, 0 for his last 500 picks on television. I have never in my life seen anyone even close to as bad as he is at handicapping! How does this guy still have a job? If he picks Bellamy Road on Saturday, throw him out!The Kman:p
See there, he's useful for something. And think how much money his picks drain off your winners, leaving you with higher odds. If he's this bad, he's a treasure. Keep him! In fact, give him a raise. ;)

GeTydOn
05-05-2005, 11:30 PM
In the chat with Zito - WOW - talk about uneasy.

Zito pointed out that it was not himself that entered Spanish Chestnut but in fact Pat Biancone who is the trainer of Spanish Chestnut.

The next minute must have felt like 10 years to Goldberg & Zito. It felt that way watching them struggle to finish the bit.