PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a Saratoga

formula_2002
04-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Remembering a Saratoga.

My wife and I went to Saratoga some years back (The Alabama week end). All it did was rain. We enjoyed every moment of it.

We stayed at a hotel where the doorman came out to help us with our luggage. Once into the hotel, he went behind the desk and checked us in.
Then he took a few steps and led us to the elevator, the kind with a manual gate (perhaps 1940 vintage) . Just able to open and close the gate, he took us to our top floor (2nd floor) rooms.

After settling in, we went down to the hotel’s dining room (a gourmet’s delight).

Yep, there he was again. Checking our names on the reservation list and leading us to our table.

There was a lot more, but perhaps later. Just thought I’d share this.

A special time ,a special place and a special gal. Not too bad a deal.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-29-2005, 09:23 PM
It has been said by a number of visitors that Saratoga is an event.It is the reason we play horses.as soon as you drive on union avenue for the first time in a year the anticipation grows and you understand why you love this game and would be lost without it.

the sounds and smells of the SPA are different than any other racetrack.it is the throw back track where you can close your eyes and feel like you have gone back in years when your eyes open.I have gone to Saratoga for about the last 20 years and have cherished memories of all the trips...win or losing money .

Im from new york city, within a 3 and a half hour drive from saratoga. I would strongly suggest that any horseplayer should make the trip to this lasting paridise and make your own memories...and by all means make sure you visit THE BIG RED NATURAL SPRINGS WATER SPOUT located on the track grounds.for me i think it's good luck...ha ha ha enjoy and happy racing to all zappi

Equineer
04-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Formula_2002,

Nice reminiscence... just enough to trigger flashbacks... and many folks with similar experiences can fill in their own details from your skeletal account.

The romantic ambiance sounds far too intimate for the Inn At Saratoga (unless you were there for the inaugural Alabama :)). Do you recall the name of the inn?

BIG RED
04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
I try and go every year, just a drive away from Boston with the right crew. Love the place, but, not in the rain. I will tell you that I always hit a spa, I think that's what makes that area. And zappi, next time you go, tell them BIG RED sent you ;)

formula_2002
04-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Formula_2002,

Nice reminiscence... just enough to trigger flashbacks... and many folks with similar experiences can fill in their own details from your skeletal account.

The romantic ambiance sounds far too intimate for the Inn At Saratoga (unless you were there for the inaugural Alabama :)). Do you recall the name of the inn?

How did you ever pick that out?
That's the one (at least that's what is written on a book of matches I keep). It must have been 1989 (16 years ago..ouch).
I'm saying 1989 because that was the year STEINLEN was voted Grass horse of the year, and I recall him running that weekend.

Kreed
04-30-2005, 09:15 AM
I went last year for a week. It was great. Its an outdoor track but we
did buy seats. Plus there's so much to do, even on dark days. It could use
some changes but I would go back, but not for a week again. I kinda OD'd
on racing.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
In the early years when i was single(wow!),my buddies would have a regular Saratoga routine.

*arrive at Saratoga for a tremendous breakfast that would have to satisfy for the duration of the racing day.

*Attending the races and literally walking all around the track talking with players from the circuit, some of which we had'nt seen for a year.Enjoying the racing day.

*After the races the group would head to a fast food joint and quickly chow down the meal talking over all of the should haves and what not of the days betting activity.

NEXT STOP, THE BEAUTIFUL saratoga harness track located down the road from the flat track.Here we would spend the next three hours betting the jug heads and having nothing but fun.

After the races we would go back to our cabin located in near by Lake George(about a twenty minute drive from saratoga) and over a few beers and snacks we would discuss the next days races and the world was a great place. great memories.

joeprunes
04-30-2005, 09:53 AM
I`ve been going for 30 plus years. Had a winning streak for 18 straight years. My most memorable year ( other than with paceadvantage crew) was about 20 yrs ago. I went with 6 couples and stayed at island view motel in lake lazerne. I still stay there. None of my friends are players so when we went to the track they all relied on me. It was a weekend trip and I hit all 6 dd all which paid over 200 bucks each and hit all 3 triples in the 9th plus races in between( my best year) Now your talking alot of money for people that never gamble . I won about 7k and I really didnt bet that heavy so they had to win around 2k each. 3 of the girls were ex rockets dancers and on the last day we left eary to have supper and leave for home . Now every ones excited on the money they had won and were having a good time. One of the girls said I wonder how we made out in the 9th race. I said I `ll call my phone account in New Haven and get the results. By this time we had a few drinks and having fun. Well when I told them the results ,that we had won (it was a small triple $200) the 3 dancers got on the table and did a kick dance the waitresses were laughing and patrons. Well we left a good tip and still talk about it today. My wife and another have passed on since. And one last thing the joke i play on with everyone I take was to tell them that wait till you taste the spring water at the track its great and then wait for them to spit it out. Yeh great memories...joeprunes

Equineer
05-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Formula_2002,

I really wasn't guessing it was the Inn at Saratoga. I kind of figured it might have been a smaller hostelry or a B&B since one congenial and attentive host was also your doorman, registrar, bellhop, and maitre de table.

BTW, in my own recollections, those kind of quaint and romantic experiences sometimes ended on a bittersweet note... my "special gals" too often stayed behind and married the innkeepers < :rolleyes: >!

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2005, 02:27 AM
"special gals" :lol:

You are a HOOT vEtQuineer, I'll give you that!