PDA

View Full Version : Great Frontline documentary on Walmart

Secretariat
04-27-2005, 08:22 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

Amazing no matter what side of the poltical spectrum you are on. interviews with Walmart VP, Cato Institue, ex-employees, Rubbermaid management, etc.

An incredible composite of the effect one company can make on America.

One figure was staggering that the trade deficit with China "alone" in 2004 was 131 billion. A segment at the port of Long Beach was incredible where 3 billion US exports were going out to China composed of raw materials, and 35 billion imports were coming in of consumer goods. From the destruction of one of Fortune magazines top companies Rubbermaid in 1994 to their destruction in 1999. And Clinton expansion into China and Bush's continuation of that policy of trade with a nation that forbids any type of collective bargaining or trade unions and is still steeped in communistic control of workers pay at 35 cents an hour.

Just an amazing documentary.

Suff
04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

Amazing no matter what side of the poltical spectrum you are on. interviews with Walmart VP, Cato Institue, ex-employees, Rubbermaid management, etc.

An incredible composite of the effect one company can make on America.

One figure was staggering that the trade deficit with China "alone" in 2004 was 131 billion. A segment at the port of Long Beach was incredible where 3 billion US exports were going out to China composed of raw materials, and 35 billion imports were coming in of consumer goods. From the destruction of one of Fortune magazines top companies Rubbermaid in 1994 to their destruction in 1999. And Clinton expansion into China and Bush's continuation of that policy of trade with a nation that forbids any type of collective bargaining or trade unions and is still steeped in communistic control of workers pay at 35 cents an hour.

Just an amazing documentary.

Wal-Mart has entire division who's sole responsibilty is to fan out across America and teach AMERICAN company's how to relocate overseas. They have it down to a chop-shop operation, The Banks, The Factory's, The suppliers, the laws, The tax implications, The profit margins, everything! They can walk into a Machine shop in Sandusky Ohio Today, and pick it up and move to China in 90 days.

It doesn't sound like much, but the fact is , Wal-mart is 1% of the entire Chinese GDP.

In the Textile business, they take the 10 & 12 year old girls, put gun powder on thier finger tips and light them on fire. It kills the Nerves on the finger tips, so wheh they reach in and out of the Knitting Machine's they don't feel thier fingers getting hacked to shreds. This is the "Republican"---"Culture of Life" doing's. Ohio alone, lost 200k+ manufacturing jobs, and they stood by and did nothing... ( I guess its the Girls own Faults, for not going to college, or working harder)... Or taking the risk.. you know.. Being "entrepueners" as Lefty says... It's thier own Damn fault.

Lefty says Wal-Mart is "good for the consumer"...and Promotes a lot of women....both are wrong. First of all, Wal-Mart is a Defendant in the Largest Discrimination suit in US history. It spans 125 stores, and 10's of thousands of women who were paid and treated unequally.

What most people do not understand, or don't want to think about.. is when you see a $60 Billion dollar monthly trade deficit with China... That amounts to China OWNING $60 Billion worth of American Assets. And each and every month we are selling ourselves out from underneath... We're becoming a Shell, a hollow shell.

And lets not forget, that last month Wal-Mart paid a Triple Digit, Multi-Million dollar fine for employing Illegal Immigrants. So not only are they EXPORTING american Jobs overseas, what they are forced to keep here simply to opertate stores, they give to non-americans....

This is the Morals they're talking about, This is the "America First" nationalistic pride bullshit they're pitching, This is the "culture of Life" bullshit they speel, this is the "the countries gone to pot because of Liberals" they sell, while they RAPE us.... This the "as long as Gays can't Marry, I'm a happy American" person... This the "Family First" bullshit they sell... This is the "Damn the facts we just hate Blue States"....

Bobby
04-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Wait until Congress finally lets WalMart own their own bank. They've been trying for years. Run the country.

They have a new credit card with Discover.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2005, 03:21 PM
This is the Morals they're talking about, This is the "America First" nationalistic pride bullshit they're pitching, This is the "culture of Life" bullshit they speel, this is the "the countries gone to pot because of Liberals" they sell, while they RAPE us.... This the "as long as Gays can't Marry, I'm a happy American" person... This the "Family First" bullshit they sell... This is the "Damn the facts we just hate Blue States"....

So then, get off your ass and vote somebody else into power....what's that? You couldn't?

Then Tough. Stop complaining, and RELAX! Remember that? We're supposed to RELAX! The sky isn't falling....REMEMBER your own words?

Secretariat
04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
This is one where the issue is not Democrats or Republicans. Clinton is as guilty in this as Bush.

THe problem is Walmart can basically destroy American manufacturers. The story of Rubbermaid where even with workers getting no health care, no retirement and minimum wage cannot compete against China's 35 cents an hour rate.

This is really running up the trade deficit, and is eroding American confidence.

Suff
04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
So then, get off your ass and vote somebody else into power....what's that? You couldn't?

Then Tough. Stop complaining, and RELAX! Remember that? We're supposed to RELAX! The sky isn't falling....REMEMBER your own words?

I did'nt see Wal-mart on the ballot. I do what I can. I don't shop there.

Do you?

And being part of the "Culture of quality Living" I don't think those 10 year old girls can wait. Are you asking them to keep sticking thier Fingers in the machines, until ? Thats wrong Mike. Those poor girls. How can you do that to them?

Your with the culture of To F'ing bad... You and lefty.

Tom
04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
In 2008, let's forget the primaries and have all the candiates pull down thier pants....anyone without a set gets eliminated. Wouldn't it be nice have a president with balls AND brains? Or at least one of the two?
It is dissgraceful that we have diplomatic relations with China in the first place.

Secretariat
04-28-2005, 09:02 AM
It is dissgraceful that we have diplomatic relations with China in the first place.

We don't agree on much, but this is one area I am in agreement. Felt it was wrong when Nixon did it in Vietnam, wrong when Clinton did it, and now it is just disgusting.

ljb
04-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Tom and Sec,
Follow the money. This type of action by the politicians helps explain the emergence of such groups as MoveOn.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2005, 09:40 AM
What explains the ineffectiveness of MoveOn?

Suff
04-28-2005, 11:18 AM

This isn't about Move-on, Its about Wal-mart lol.... ;)

46zilzal
04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Show chronicles how WalMart disregarded Rubbermiad's cost increase in raw materails and forced thm into bankruptcy. Not very constructive an organization.

46zilzal
04-28-2005, 01:05 PM
WalMart according to Suff: "I did'nt see Wal-mart on the ballot. I do what I can. I don't shop there. Do you?"

After hearing from many who worked there and all I have heard in their DESTRUCTUIVE competition processes, I have now joined the ranks who go elsewhere.

No ingestions at all by the way

Secretariat
04-29-2005, 10:01 PM
The Way to Stop Walmart

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_on_bi_ge/canada_wal_mart

Tom
04-30-2005, 02:28 AM

Ljb. :lol:

Tom
04-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Show chronicles how WalMart disregarded Rubbermiad's cost increase in raw materails and forced thm into bankruptcy. Not very constructive an organization.

Nothing unusual there. GM and Ford do this as SOP. They drive suppliers out of business every day. Good ole "American"companies like M, Ford, Xerox, Kodak are part of the root cause for driving businesses out of our country. You want to buy American, look at Nissan, Toyota, Honda.

News this week...thanks to GM, Lear Corp is closing 33 plants and moving the business to Mexico. Although steel has doubled in price and placstic resins are up 25%, GM is still insisting on cost downs and give-backs (actually, extortion - they call you up and say, "We are market testing your parts and will be pulling your tooling - unless you give us $50 million dollars, then you can keep what you already have contract to make for us."

Last year, my comapny lost all our Chrysler business because we would not cut a check for $60 million to keep it. Extortion. How did we recover the loss?
Moved more business to Mexico. Oopeining two more plant there. Closing two here.

America better wake up soon...the economy is NOT great and the future of America is very much shaky.