PDA

View Full Version : McPeek Leaving Training for Bloodstock

DerbyTrail
04-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Quite something... I'll take this opportunity to thank him for Tejano Run and Take Charge Lady! Run helped boost my biggest single race score (Derby '95), and TCL was just a gal I really loved even though she could never get it done in a BC Distaff.. Thx Ken!

McPeek to quit training, become bloodstock agent
By MARTY McGEE
Ken McPeek, whose 82 career stakes victories as a Thoroughbred trainer include Sarava's win in the 2002 Belmont Stakes, announced Tuesday that he will quit training to become a bloodstock agent, effective July 1.

McPeek, 42, said he is in the process of turning over his stable of about 100 horses to his assistants and other trainers. Based primarily at Churchill Downs, McPeek said he has "given great thought" to this dramatic career change but said he will not rule out a return to training, given "the correct opportunity."

McPeek frequently has played a major role in the purchase of the horses he trained, including such stars as Tejano Run, Repent, Take Charge Lady, She's a Devil Due, Prince Arch, and Hard Buck. He said that his focus has shifted to "the challenge of finding a top-class racehorse" and that he will be attending all major sales, with particular emphasis on yearlings and the South American market. McPeek has traveled extensively to South America to buy horses over the last two years or so.

McPeek said the recent decision by owner Dan Borislow to move Wild Desert - who had been a Kentucky Derby prospect until he ran poorly in the April 16 Arkansas Derby - from McPeek to prominent New York trainer Rick Dutrow had "absolutely nothing to do" with his decision to switch positions within racing. In recent years, several top horses have been taken from McPeek and given to other trainers, most notably Harlan's Holiday and Sarava.

"This is something I've been planning on doing for years," said McPeek. "This is all positive, no negative. I've been buying horses and training horses for years, but I finally came to the realization that I can't do both. I'd rather do one well than both halfway. I honestly feel like I can serve more people as an agent and adviser."

McPeek, an Arkansas native who grew up in Lexington, Ky., and now lives in Louisville, has trained for nearly 20 years. His horses have won 767 races and earned more than $28.2 million. Easily his best year was 2002, when Sarava, at 70-1, became the longest shot ever to win the Belmont; Harlan's Holiday won the Florida Derby and Blue Grass Stakes; and Take Charge Lady ended an unprecedented sweep at Keeneland by capturing the Ashland and Spinster to go with an Alcibiades victory the previous year. The McPeek stable earned more than $6.6 million in 2002.

From that peak, the stable still has fared very well, with earnings exceeding $3.6 million in 2003 and $3.4?million in 2004. McPeek's longtime assistant, Helen Pitts, said McPeek has told her she will be retaining a significant number of horses that currently run under his name. "I couldn't ask for a better opportunity," said Pitts.

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2005, 07:36 PM
I remember McPeek was fined and suspended by Meadowlands stewards one year for knowingly running an injured horse in a claiming race...horse was claimed and broke down in the race....

I never had much respect for the guy since....

The Hawk
04-26-2005, 07:58 PM
You're right, PA, I nearly forgot about that. I also remember one of his comments afterward did little to endear him to the public, although I'm a little foggy on exactly what was said.

Tee
04-26-2005, 08:09 PM
McPeek delighted after court victory
By John Piesen
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - A six-year-long ordeal is apparently over for trainer Ken McPeek, and the trainer says he is thrilled.
McPeek was absolved this week of any wrongdoing in the death of Mean Doris Jean, a McPeek-trained filly who broke a leg during the first race on Sept. 17, 1993, on a muddy track at The Meadowlands.

At the time, McPeak was accused by a former employee, exercise rider Dena Popara, of running an unfit horse that evening. She voiced her objections to Meadowlands stewards, and following a stewards' hearing, McPeek was suspended 30 days. McPeek appealed the ruling to the New Jersey Racing Commission, which then increased the suspension to one year.

McPeek appealed that decision to civil court, and, following a lengthy hearing, Administrative Law Judge Robert W. Scott reserved decision.

Scott this week recommended to the commission that all charges be dropped. The commission has 45 days to respond to Scott's recommendation, but, as far as McPeek is concerned, the case is closed, and a huge monkey has been lifted off his back.

"Obviously, I'm thrilled with the judge's verdict," McPeek said Thursday from his barn at Churchill Downs, "and, hopefully, now I can go on with the rest of my life. The decision was a long time in coming, but I had no doubts that I would be vindicated. I did nothing wrong.

"I just knew that if this didn't kill me, it would make me stronger. And it has made me stronger."

Frank Zanzuccki executive director of the commission, on Thursday said: "The commission will deal with this matter at its November 13 meeting. In the meantime, it would be inappropriate for me to comment."

Regrets, I've had a few
By KEN McPEEK
Another tough time was when Mean Doris Jean, a $5,000 claimer I had for Ray, broke down and died at The Meadowlands in Sept. 1993. A major controversy followed, with the New Jersey Racing Commission suspending me for a whole year. I appealed and got a stay, but the legal process that followed dragged on for years. The case finally ended up getting dismissed in 1997. I'm kind of glad the whole thing happened, because it made me lose my desire to be part of the claiming game, which is a really tough racket. I eventually moved into younger horses, and that led me to where I am now a little quicker, I think.

NAPRA NEWS

North American Pari-Mutuel Regulators Association

New Jersey Likely to Drop McPeek Charges

An administrative law judge has recommended the one-year suspension of trainer Ken McPeek in connection with allegations he ran an unsound horse at the Meadowlands in New Jersey in 1993 be dismissed.

The case against McPeek has been tied up in court for years. The suspension was issued by the New Jersey Racing Commission, which alleged the trainer "knowingly (ran) an unfit horse" in the first race at the Meadowlands Sept. 17 that year. Mean Doris Jean, who had shipped in from Turfway Park in Kentucky, broke down on a sloppy track and was euthanized.

In his ruling, judge Robert Scott said, in part: "I find there is no evidence that...Kenneth McPeek knowingly entered the horse, Mean Doris Jean, in an unfit condition...I find that there is no evidence that the petitioner acted to the detriment of racing or committed any questionable conduct."

Scott signed the ruling Oct. 4. The racing commission now may adopt, modify, or reject it. If action isn't taken by the commission within 45 days, Scott's recommendation will become final.

"It's very decisive," McPeek said of Scott's ruling. As for the case itself, he said: "It has been one of those bumps in life that has been hard to handle. But it provided an evolution in me that turned out to be good in the long run. At the time it happened, though, it was pretty traumatic."

In 1997, the racing commission wrapped up its case in connection with an appeal of the suspension by McPeek. At the time, McPeek's attorney, Dennis Drazin, said he would file a federal civil suit against the racing commission on the basis it violated McPeek's civil rights. Source Bloodhorse

tholl
04-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I remember McPeek was fined and suspended by Meadowlands stewards one year for knowingly running an injured horse in a claiming race...horse was claimed and broke down in the race....

I never had much respect for the guy since....

I worked as a groom for McPeek for a few months before that happened. At the time he was based at Ellis and I was working under an assistant at Keeneland who also happened to be his, at that time, fiance. She had absoulutely no clue and lied to McPeek about the training of the horses. I remember we ran a mare at River Downs who she claimed had been breezing 5F and 6F but in reality had been just galloping coming from a long layoff. She almost died. I have manyother stories of what went on. McPeek was totally to blame for placing such trust in an obviously incompetant person and I always believed the Meadowland incident to have come from the same misjudgement.
A year or so after I quit working for him McPeek approached me and apologised for the way things had been. Said he had no idea what was going on and I believe him.
I respected him before I worked for him and I respect him now. To me he's a great guy and a very good judge of a horse . I wish him the best in whatever he does.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Well then, I guess I stand corrected. I don't remember the case dragging on for so long, and although the judgement was in his favor, I suppose the real truth can never be fully known.

I guess he's a better man/trainer than I thought. My apologies.....