PDA

View Full Version : Tampa/Sarasota area people help

OTM Al
04-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Going to be down in that area on Preakness day and would like to be able to watch/wager. Anyone know a good place? Would have gone straight to TB Downs, but live racing will be over by then.

saratoga guy
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm down in that area for a couple of weeks each winter and I go to the Sarasota Kennel Club. It's right across from the Sarasota airport. I'm not sure what their dog racing season is -- but the simulcasting might go on year-round. Worth giving them a call.

For that matter, simulcasting might go on year-round at Tampa Bay Downs. There are also one or two other dog tracks in the area.

Maxspa
04-25-2005, 06:08 PM
OTM-Al,
Live Racing at Tampa Downs concludes May 8th but simulcast goes on all year. Go to www.tampadowns.com for the particulars. Good facilities in the clubhouse carrel area with tv's at every carrel and waitress service.
Maxspa

saratoga guy
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
PS: Useful tool from ntra.com...

http://www.ntra.com/mapquest_index.asp

Type in the zip code of your location and it will tell you tracks and OTBs in the area.

syyamo
04-25-2005, 10:18 PM
OTM Al,

I live in the area, in fact about 10 minutes from Sarasota Kennel Club. I wouldn't go there but if you do the clubhouse is the only tolerable spot. Basically SKC is a dump.

A much better facility is Derby Lane in St. Pete. Head up to the 5th floor (I think). There is a very nice sports bar type deal. Prices are reasonable, seats are comfortable and food is not too bad. Derby Lane is a very nice track, is used as the backdrop for movies occasionally ("Ocean's 11" the last one I'm aware of) and is a pleasant experience.

Tam may be open for simo, check the web site.

OTM Al
04-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks all! Will get it figured out. That locator from NTRA is really nice!

howardjim
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I used all those facilities for years and Derby Lane stood out.

South of there, 4th Street I think, is a funky, good bar and burger joint, El Cap.

Good memories...enjoy your trip.

toetoe
05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
I read that Derby Lane are seeking a $1,000,000 purse for a ... DOG RACE! Swear to the lesbonic force of color in the sky(that's God)!

JimG
05-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I used all those facilities for years and Derby Lane stood out.

South of there, 4th Street I think, is a funky, good bar and burger joint, El Cap.

Good memories...enjoy your trip.

Agree on all, including the bar. One of my favorite spots after I turned 18 many years ago.

I've been to all many times and Derby Lane is the best by far for simulcasting. Agree that Sarasota is a dump...always has been. I used to hate to go to the dog races there in the summer but it was the only game in town 30 years ago in the summer.