PDA

View Full Version : Horses Age

gambler844
04-24-2005, 05:24 PM
I would like to hear some opinions on how a horses age effects his racing performance..Just looking for some general thoughts.
-When a horse over 7 years old wins a races are his chances of winning his next race slim because of his age.
--Do older horses need more time to rest between races?
Thanks
ed

JackS
04-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Ed- My opinion, older horses obtain their form slower and lose their form faster. Older horses who have just won their last race can be bet again if they are coming right back within a few days of their win.
I would question an older horses form if coming back after two weeks or more since last raced.
Another positive sign might be a slight jump in class if returning quickly.

so.cal.fan
04-24-2005, 08:10 PM
I strongly prefer to bet younger horses for better value at major tracks.
Especially now, with the crackdown on drugs, and certain proceedures that have been banned......the older ones as a general rule are not going to do all that well.
The rest of the year on So. Cal. I prefer three, four and five year olds.
Of course the really cheap claiming races.....the older ones are probably as good as the younger ones.....in fact....I don't like 4 year olds running for 10K or less. Three year olds running for cheap claims, usually have very little going for them.

CryingForTheHorses
04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I would like to hear some opinions on how a horses age effects his racing performance..Just looking for some general thoughts.
-When a horse over 7 years old wins a races are his chances of winning his next race slim because of his age.
--Do older horses need more time to rest between races?
Thanks
ed

Older class horses are the best "cheap" claimers,I have won 5 out of 9 with a 10 yo and had another 10yo win 3 in a row. These class horses are boss when you run them for the same thing over and over, Won 3 in a row in 24 days and 5 out of 9 in in 120 days.The thing about the class horses when they run cheap its easy on them and they come back faster avoiding the dreaded bounce

Dan Montilion
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Ed... 6 year old and older mares that have not won in two years have always been toss outs for win contention in my play. At any class level.

Dan Montilion

kenwoodallpromos
04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I agree totally with Tom- and older horses are fully mature so if they are still racing there should be little question about their discipline, foundation, or stamina being what is advertised.

BIG RED
04-24-2005, 10:30 PM
I read somewhere, please don't ask where, that as a group, ' all ' T-breads have their best year as a 5 year old. Meaning on average I would guess. Now I would presume that most horses have their best capabilities when they are 5. My point? After 5 I guess the form starts go away.

jotb
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello:

Just curious what the name of this 10yo was and how long ago was this achieved. To be perfectly honest with you, I would think after a few wins at the same class level someone would have dropped the slip.

Joe

CryingForTheHorses
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Hello:

Just curious what the name of this 10yo was and how long ago was this achieved. To be perfectly honest with you, I would think after a few wins at the same class level someone would have dropped the slip.

Joe

Joe I mentioned 2 10yr horses to you. The first horse was FAST DEPARTURE winning for me on Jul26 Aug 4 Aug 23 Oct 19,Nov 6 2003 at Calder race course.
The other horse was AIR COOL winning June 19 July 4 july 12 at Calder Race track in 2004

After I won the 5th race with Fast Departure his old owner reclaimed him...Then broke him down running him over his head..Fast Departure is now retired in Davie Florida with earnings of almost 500k. Air Cool is now retired in New Mexico with earning of almost 800k.Both these horse were 5k claimers

JackS
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
If two horses 4yo and 10yo, were equal on paper, I would prefer the 4yo. But if the odds were 2-1 with the 4yo and 4-1 with the 10yo. I'd be playing the older horse .

Valuist
04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Generally, the older the horse, the more susceptible to a bounce. But each horse is different. If you keep old DRFs or have access to lifetime pps, you can look up and see how each horse reacts to factors like returning off a layoff, or a new lifetime top. Also, if you think a horse might bounce, watch them closely in their post parade.

One of the biggest myths in racing is 3YOs can't beat older. Many times they actually have an advantage.

Lasix1
04-26-2005, 11:10 PM
And don't forget John Henry. How old was that legendary gelding when he was finally retired? 12, 13, 15?

Racing history is full of such horses. Wasn't Forego still winning races (and carrying high weight) when he was eligible for Social Security?

Here at Oaklawn Park, we're still talking about Chindi, an 11-year-old gelding who just cracked the million dollar mark in career earnings for trainer Steve Hobby.

He's a closer and the old gray is very smart. He always runs from out of the clouds, and when the pace gets away from him and he has no chance, he seems to wrap up and take care of himself. But when the speed horses start backing up and he sees an opportunity, he is deadly. That happened during a race last March where he appeared on paper to be badly over-matched. The speed started collapsing and he blew past them all, paying $22.00 to win as the longest shot on the board.

After the race, Hobby said he'd been talking about retiring him and he figured the horse overheard him and it pissed him off.

He'll probably still be running when he's older than I am.

jotb
04-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Hello:

I'm sorry but I was under the impression that you had trained both of these horses. There's certainly is a big difference between Pilotti and Carlisi and Vivian and Sedillo.

These older hard knocking types can excel on their back class as long as you plug up the holes and properly spot your horse.

Joe

CryingForTheHorses
04-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Hello:

I'm sorry but I was under the impression that you had trained both of these horses. There's certainly is a big difference between Pilotti and Carlisi and Vivian and Sedillo.

These older hard knocking types can excel on their back class as long as you plug up the holes and properly spot your horse.

Joe

Joe your impression was right..I had Fast Departure with Larry Pilotti as my wife works there..we do all our own work, Air Cool was in my friends D Vivan's barn as Larry couldt spare a stall..yes I trained them..Carlise claimed Fast Departure off us..If you research my posts from last year you will see why I had another trainer (program Only)

toetoe
04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I love Chindi. If I lived in Hot Springs, he'd get my vote for old gray mayor. I LOVE that guy.

Lasix1
04-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I love Chindi. If I lived in Hot Springs, he'd get my vote for old gray mayor. I LOVE that guy.
Me too! To watch him eat up ground in the stretch with his tongue hanging out like a big galoot just makes my heart quiver. The way he looks when he's running reminds me a lot of that late, great, California gray Free House.