PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football

Bobby
04-22-2005, 10:30 AM
moves to ESPN from ABC. Not too big of a change

But Sunday night football on NBC. Are u kiddin? Watch football on NBC? I thought they still show the gladiators.

andicap
04-22-2005, 10:54 AM
NBC used to do the AFC and had Phil Simms with Dick Ebersol, a great team! Both with CBS now.

I think it all depends on how they get to do the game. Can't get Al Michaels since he's under contract to ABC and I presume ESPN will stick with its Sunday night team? Or will they go with Michaels and Madden since it's all ABC?
If ESPN was smart they would put Golic and Mark S. together and let them mouth off with a solid PBP guy.

Where's Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones when you need them? :)

Will Bob Costas have a major role in football on NBC? -- He does do the HBO NFL highlight show. Are a ton of ex-players they can get for analysts I would think. I think they should do what TNT did and get two opinionated, funny people and let them go at each other. I was at a TNT advertising presentation two weeks ago and Barkley and Smith are two funny dudes. Barkley's honest as well, telling the advertisers that his hardest job in the next month was pretending the games "meant something." Meaning the lower seeds generally go out early and quickly.

Of bigger interest to me is NBC's ability to choose a better game the last 8 weeks of the season. MNF has had a ton of dogs because games that look great in April are often awful in Dec.
Under the new contract after Fox and CBS get their pick for Sunday, NBC can take the best of the rest for Sunday night unless of course, their original game is still a good one.

Bobby
04-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Somebody's gotta get Al Michaels. He's the best imo. ESPN I would bet

Golic - Mike Golic - the guy who used to do the sports bloopers show? He works for ESPN now. NO WAY

Valuist
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I hope that Patrick/Theismann/McGuire trio gets shown the door. They used to be decent but they've become horrible! They oversell the game so hard. Every week, Theismann talks about somebody like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He didn't used to be that way but its so annoying now I turn the sound down for Sunday Night games.

Bobby
04-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Yea, I agree about Theisman. He's too much of a cheerleader. Mcguire is ok though.

I like that skinny guy on fox with dark hair. I think he knows what he's doing. Chris .. . .I think. And of course Al Michaels. As far as Im concerned they can put Madden out in the pasture.

ElKabong
04-24-2005, 03:23 AM
NBC used to do the AFC and had Phil Simms with Dick Ebersol, a great team! Both with CBS now.

Andi,

Dick Enberg, right?

espn radio said that they were worried Costas would fly the coop, so they overbid for the sunday nite slot. Also they saw how the nfc/ nfl gave FOX the boost needed to promote their core product successfully. Thus, they overpaid.

There's a guy from Brooklyn that's been in the DFW market for abt 20 yrs named Chuck Cooperstein. The guy has game as a play by play talent for both hoops and football. If you can get a sample tape of his, you'd be impressed. Does some nat'l work for ncaa radio and some tv. His style would go over well nationally; Exciteable but not over the top. Very descriptive and totally accurate. Shows NO sign of favoritism (jets fan, florida alum) Doesn't kiss up to athletes (told off Nate Newton in an interview here, rec;'d respect in return). Has lost most his NY accent that might turn off midwesterners and west coasters...

I'd like to see him get a shot.

Rumor here is that Mike Irvin will be offered a job in the booth at cBS or NBC....Can't even speak halfway understandable English yet he'll do color commentary for someone. Amazing.