PDA

View Full Version : Ark Derby sad news

LEMON DROP
04-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I just had a few beers with Pete Vestal this evening, having seen him for the first time since oaklawn closed. I asked him why Batsons Challenge was winging it on the front end in the ark derby. He replied that he was keeping the pace down. I laughed, and he said that the track was rock hard and calvin was running reasonable. He then told me that BC shattered his knee in 12 places and had to be put down. My laugh quickly left, and we talked about the race, and his prospects in the upcoming Churchill meet. He thought that BC could have gotten second, but was no match for the winner Afleet Alex. To see this horse perform the way he did, in that race, with the track the way it was, is now even more impressive. Pete concurred. It is sad whenever any horse breaks down, but i feel especially bad for Pete because he is a small stable trainer and BC could have been his next Crafty Shaw. At any rate, i will be on the backside at Churchill the week leading up to the derby, and if AA looks like i think he will, he will be my bet. Here's to all the Peter Vestals, and to heck with all people associated with Sweet Catomine, and their kind.

WJ47
04-22-2005, 02:57 AM
How sad! I actually bet on BC to win in that race, I thought he had a pretty good shot at the price. It is a real shame that this happened. Did this happen during the race or right afterwards?

JPinMaryland
04-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Well thank you for explaining the demise of Batson Challenge. Once again ESPN fumbles the ball. At this pt. I have to assume this is some sort of policy on the sports network: Dont mention break downs.

Randy Moss, as knowledgeable as they come, reported on tues. that the colt had suffered career ending injury. Earlier this year, when Green Team broke down, first he says "career ending, " then he says "life ending." This is a taped show so it's not like he's winging it or anything.

So I dont know if he's getting pressure from management or what. Too many weird utterances from Moss when we get to this aspect..

kenwoodallpromos
04-22-2005, 05:02 AM
I was just looking at the charts- last race was 1 3/4 miles!
I wonder if the rail and/or straightaways were a little slower than the outside and/or turns.
Looks there were a few 1:12's on some splits.
Too bad the track happened to be that hard. Good effort by BC.

andicap
04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I figure the hard condition of the track had to be very tough on Afleet Alex's knees and legs and he will not be in top condition for the 10f Derby.

Very sorry to hear about Babson's Challenge. ...
I didn't see the race. Did they know BC was hurt while the telecast was on or did it not come out until later? Is ESPN really at fault here?

LEMON DROP
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Noone knew about the injury, because the horse did cross the finish line very slowly. They took him back to the barn, and there, found out the severity of the problem.

JPinMaryland
04-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Did they know BC was hurt while the telecast was on or did it not come out until later? Is ESPN really at fault here?

Understand, I am talking about the Wire to Wire espn show that is aired on tuesday. That is 3 days after Batson was put down, from what I gather.

Tom
04-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Assuming the fast tracks are to make for impressive times, does anyone really think that a fast time brings in one extra dollar of handle or one more butt in a seat?

andicap
04-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Understand, I am talking about the Wire to Wire espn show that is aired on tuesday. That is 3 days after Batson was put down, from what I gather.

Who produces that show, ESPN or some outside production company?
It used to be -- I'm sure not any more -- Chris Lincoln's company (Winner Communications I believe) produced all those racing shows on the cable networks. You never saw anything negative about racing because he needed the cooperation of the tracks, etc., to do the show.