PDA

View Full Version : Postings Update

Druther
05-07-2001, 11:37 AM
Ever since late April, the main screen no longer displays an update of the latest posts. For example, mine shows the last post was April 24th by Dave Schwartz.

By clicking "Home" I can get it to show the current stuff but the next time I enter the board it referts back to the "old way."

Anyone else experiencing this?

andicap
05-07-2001, 11:41 AM
Mine is fine. Shows last post as being yours.

andicap

MikeH
05-07-2001, 03:51 PM
Druther -

I aggressively manage my "Cookies" Files. On my machines, and all my clients, I have a command in the autoexec.bat file that either ERASES the cookies files, or copies/overwrites it with a file that I edit, so that only cookies that I want are left in there. So all the junk that the marketing jerks put in there gets erased every day!

Originally I didn't have your "problem" with the PA board. It worked fine when PA's cookies were erased, along with everyone else's, when I powered up in the morning.

However, the other day, I finally figured out what PA's cookies were, and added them to the file that becomes my cookies file when my computer boots up. Now, it thinks that the last post was May 5. But all the posts are there when I click off the main screen onto "General Discussions" or one of the other screens.

BTW - PA -

This new software looks and works nice!

Rick Ransom
05-07-2001, 07:59 PM
I've got a different problem. I seem to have the wrong times displayed for the last post. Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Tom
05-07-2001, 08:34 PM
I have been hitting the Refresh button whenever I log on and this seems to update everything. There is also a button to mark posts as read on the main page that works fine for me.
Question-is there a way to list the postings most recent first?
No big deal, just curious.
Great Board.

Tom

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Druther
Ever since late April, the main screen no longer displays an update of the latest posts. For example, mine shows the last post was April 24th by Dave Schwartz.

As mentioned, this is most likely a cookie/browser holding onto old data issue. An excellent way to make sure you reset or clear the cookies from this board is simply to click on the LOGOUT button. This should clear all the cookies from this board. Next time you log in, eveything should look good.

The only problem I've had is with the main page. With me, this problem only occurs WHILE I'm in my current session on this board. If I read all the notes, and then go to the main page, the new note icons are still there. However, if I close the browser, and then open it again later, the icons have updated themselves. The individual "new notes icons" on the various boards themselves always update themselves with a simple click of the REFRESH button on the browser.

All of these problems should be addressed once I install the latest version of this software. That will probably happen after the Triple Crown is over. (And don't worry, the backup process for this message board is 1000x better than the old boards. I now can back everything up nice and neat in under 2 minutes)

==PA

Druther
05-08-2001, 10:03 AM
PA

Yes, I’m sure it’s a “Cookie Monster” problem, but what confuses me is that it only happens with the PA board. Especially since your board is one of the few sites I have set up as a Trusted Site – which gives your board full and complete access to add any cookie it wants to my system.

I agree with MikeH about cookies. Cookies can actually be beneficial because they allow storing desirable data such as sign-ins and passwords to a specific site, but there are too many creepy crawlers out there to allow it Carte Blanc – the fact that other sites cannot access any of the data notwithstanding.

I’d already tried the corrective measures you mention but it hasn’t affected it. But it’s no big deal. It’s only the main page that doesn’t reflect the updates and nothing is actually lost. Since MikeH indicates he’s also experiencing the glitch I suspect it’s on your end and will probably self-correct when you update anyhow.