PDA

View Full Version : Early days of Enron -- True Story

highnote
04-19-2005, 09:27 PM
A young man named Kenny, moved to Texas and bought a donkey from a farmer for $100.00. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day
The next day he drove up and said, "Sorry son, but I have some bad news, the donkey died."

Kenny replied, "Well, then, just give me my money back."

The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

Kenny said, "Ok, then, just bring me the dead donkey."

The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?"

Kenny, "I'm going to raffle him off."

The farmer said, "You can't raffle off a dead donkey!"

Kenny said, "Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he is dead."

A month later, the farmer met up with Kenny and asked, "What happened with that dead donkey?"

Kenny said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece and made a profit of $998.00."

The farmer said, "Didn't anyone complain?"

Kenny said, "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Kenny grew up and eventually became the Chairman of Enron.

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Why beat a dead donkey?

highnote
04-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Why beat a dead donkey?

OK. I'll play along. I don't know. Why beat a dead donkey? :confused:

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, it was a play on the "Why beat a dead horse" saying. In other words, why bring up Enron for the umpteenth time? Enron is dead. Those involved are being prosecuted. What's the point?

highnote
04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Someone sent me the story and I thought it was funny and worth sharing. I guess I could have changed it to Martha Stewart or something, but that's the way it was sent to me.

Why do I feel compelled to explain myself?

Why does posting a silly story have to be turned into something more than it was intended?

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Are you saying I shouldn't be commenting on your post? You posted, I commented. Isn't that what this board is supposed to be for?

Just because my comment didn't fit into your pre-conceived notion of what to expect doesn't mean my comment is any less worthy.

highnote
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Interesting point. You're probably right. Let me think about it. I've got to go post about Area 51 and other maps.

bill
04-19-2005, 11:46 PM
you say all prosecuted what about kenny boy i dont rmember hearing that he was tried or even oh well dont matter bush ah forget it

pa always rite

highnote
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
I think what bothers me (and I use the term bothers lightly) is that you make it seem as if a person should not post on your site if it is a post that you don't approve of. However, all posters are supposed to know what you approve of and what you don't. And we're supposed to know that a certain subject has been talked about before.

The post I made, in my opinion, had less to do with Enron, then about the clever little story. At least, I thought it was clever. The person who sent it to me must have thought it was clever. I gave it the Enron title to make it interesting. I guess I could have titled it "Silly Little Story".

I am certainly not saying you shouldn't comment about my post. Comment all you want. Write a book about my comments.

Are you saying I shouldn't comment back to you about the way your comments make me feel?

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
It's not about right or wrong. I probably shouldn't have posted my comment to you...it wasn't really productive.

I was just curious as to why posts about Enron still occur. I mean, the thing happened four years ago I believe....

highnote
04-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, now that you've said that, I take back all I said. :D :lol: :D

highnote
04-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Remind me to tell you about the Sartin Triangle sometime. Some of you Sartin people might know that one.

highnote
04-20-2005, 12:04 AM
I was just curious as to why posts about Enron still occur. I mean, the thing happened four years ago I believe....

Sorry to keep beating the proverbial dead horse, but I think people keep posting about Enron because investors lost BILLIONS of dollars.

I'll give you the last word(s). Then I'm going to put this mule down for good.

js

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes, it's true investors and employees of Enron lost a LOT of money. However, those that had all their eggs in the Enron basket have themselves to blame for part of their losses....

Also, the people responsible for the downfall of Enron have been brought to justice. haven't they?

highnote
04-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Yes, it's true investors and employees of Enron lost a LOT of money. However, those that had all their eggs in the Enron basket have themselves to blame for part of their losses....

Also, the people responsible for the downfall of Enron have been brought to justice. haven't they?

No arguments here. You have the last word. I have to get up early for work. Now it's time for this mule to go to sleep :sleeping: