PDA

View Full Version : New Pope Named

Suff
04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected the 265th pontiff today by the College of Cardinals. He was announced as tens of thousands of people cheered in St. Peter's Square. Ratzinger has chosen the name Benedict XVI, the Vatican announced. The announcement came shortly after white smoke rose from the Vatican chimney and bells rang to announce that a new pope had been selected

46zilzal
04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I was hoping for Pope Jerry or Mike

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Sounds like Benny the Rat will be politician first.

Secretariat
04-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I heard Ratzinger was a member of Hitler's Youth. Anyone know if that's true?

lsbets
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Yes, he was, but I think all German youths during WWII had to join. He was also drafted and deserted the German Army in 1944 while in Hungary.

46zilzal
04-19-2005, 03:31 PM
only tells that. It is where they are today

Bobby
04-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm sure he's a good choice. But why pick one that is already 78 years old. Why not a younger guy like JPII wuz?

cj
04-19-2005, 04:24 PM
They didn't want another Pope with a chance at a long papacy like Pope John Paul II had.

cj
04-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I heard Ratzinger was a member of Hitler's Youth. Anyone know if that's true?

You find links and quotes for everything under the sun, and yet for this, you ask the PA Board for info?

CryingForTheHorses
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
They didn't want another Pope with a chance at a long papacy like Pope John Paul II had.

Why Not?

Secretariat
04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
You find links and quotes for everything under the sun, and yet for this, you ask the PA Board for info?

Well, to be honest, I'm not Catholic and I figured there might be some here with better insight. I was hoping Lefty would know.

Tee
04-19-2005, 08:01 PM

But hopefully longer than Pope John Paul I.

Tom
04-19-2005, 09:04 PM
The idea might be that he will be an "interim" Pope - not in there long enough to make radical changes, and allow more time for the Church to re-position itself globally. They said the same thing about Pope John XXIII - and all he did was initiate Vatican II.

It was truly an inspiring site today - the mass of people clogging the square waiting to greet new Pontif.

kingfin66
04-20-2005, 01:11 AM
I heard the new pope is against rock music, homosexuality, ordinance of women, etc. Sounds like a pretty typical pope. For those that are asking about why they selected such an old pope - were there significantly younger candidates from which to choose?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

betchatoo
04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
This may be the only full time job in the world where 60 is considered too young.

cj
04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
That and president of the USA! :D

Should I be too embarrassed to say a had a 50 spot on the new Pope at Pinnacle? Won $115, ROFL! No rebate though :(.

This may be the only full time job in the world where 60 is considered too young.

Pace Cap'n
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
CJ--perhaps. Just heard on the radio some guy in England had him at 6-1.

Betchatoo--NFL ref?

kingfin66
04-21-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm not Catholic. Let me get that out of the way.

Does it bother anybody else that the new pope is 78 years old, was part of the Hitler Youth, and has outdated (to me) views on the world. I don't believe that 10% of the world's Catholics share this old timer's views on the world. Even if people purport to agree with him, do they really share his views to the letter?

I'm not looking to start any big religious debates here - people are free to worship as they please or not at all as far as I'm concerned - but is this really how the Catholic Church wants to keep portraying itself?

PaceAdvantage
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
How about we ask the better question.....

Did ANY YOUTH have a CHOICE about whether or not they were going to be part of Hitler Youth? Me thinks not....so give it a rest.

And the age thing has been explained before....the scuttlebut going into the conclave was that they DON'T want another LONG REIGN like Pope John Paul II enjoyed. I suppose they believe it gives one man too much power over too much period of time. Maybe they ought to investigate term limits and not have it be a lifetime thing....

Bobby
04-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Yea but Benedict already looks like a candidate for a wheelchair or walker in a couple of years. It looks like he just pokes along.

Tom
04-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I was hoping for Cardinal Anthony Secola to become Pope - Pope Secola!:rolleyes:

kingfin66
04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
How about we ask the better question.....

Did ANY YOUTH have a CHOICE about whether or not they were going to be part of Hitler Youth? Me thinks not....so give it a rest.

Hey, the same argument worked for Patty Hearse, so I'll give the old fella a break.

freeneasy
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
to the pressures and giving in to the areas of homosexuality, lesbianism, abortion, birth control, pulling the plug, i forgot what thats called, same sex marriage, sex outside of marriage, sex inside of marriage, divorce, homosexual, lesbien and female priest, priest and nuns having husbands and wives. who knows a younger pope might condem the adoration and worship of mary and joesph and all the cannonized saints, he might condem the belief that when infants die without the rite of baptism that they dont go to hell but they dont go to heaven either, they go to a place called limbo :lol: not chubby checker and the limbo rock, its a place where theres no suffering or pain but you never get to visit the presents of god or maybe a younger pope might condem this belief in a place called purgatory where its the same kind of full on hell as the hell of no escape and you got to spend a lot of time there in payment for your sins but eventually its the kind of hell you can get out of or maybe a younger pope might find that god can forgive the any number of "mortal" sins that a man can commit. a mortal sin is an offense that god is unable to forgive. rape, murder ect. yeah a younger pope might even go for allowing the possibility of having a girl pope. gee i wonder what she'd call herself, pope john mary? :faint:

Bobby
04-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Pope Benedict 16 - he loves cats & talking to em:

"[the cemetary behind the church] was full of cats, and when he went out, they all ran to him. They knew him and loved him. He stood there, petting some and talking to them, for quite a long time. He visited the cats whenever he visited the church. His love for cats is quite famous."

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/s/krwashbureau/20050421/ts_krwashbureau/_bc_relig_pope_portrait_wa

Bobby
04-22-2005, 01:04 PM
I guess he's kinda like the cat lady in my town. :D :eek:

JUST JOKING

kenwoodallpromos
04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
You mean the older cardinals never jumped on any alter boys? Well that is good news.
If all this nrew guy does is get rid of all the "fathers" who are child rapists that wouls be great, since the RICO laws do not apply to the catholic church unless they are protesting baby killers at abortion clinics.
I'm hoprful there are a few decent bigshots in the church even though i think the last guy did not much about it.