PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

anotherdave
04-28-2002, 02:48 PM
A couple of questions about scratches that I am (embarrassingly)not sure about, but someone here must know. There are at least three listed reasons for scratches - stewards, trainer, vet.

The vet one is obvious.

The trainer one - how much rationale does the trainer need?

Can anyone elaborate about the stewards one - why do the stewards scratch a horse?

Also when a horse is scratched because he is entered again in a couple of days and decided to run in that race, how would the reason be listed?

Much appreciated

AD

karlskorner
04-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Anotherdave

From the bottom of today's "overnight" for CRC tomorrow

"All horesemen are responsible for having a valid coggins certificate on file with the racing office. Non compliance will result in the horse being scratched and a fine."

This, along with other papers not properly being filed can cause a stewards scratch. There are other reasons also, mostly having to do with the health and ID of the animal.

As to the "dual entry" this would be listed as a Trainer scratch.

Karl

anotherdave
04-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info, karl

AD

Jeff P
04-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Believe it or not, at Turf Paradise, I have twice seen horses that have been entered, saddled, and paraded out onto the track for a race that had conditions they were not even eligible for. (Both times non winners of two lifetime.) Both times, it was not until after another trainer made a complaint to the stewards that the past performance record of the horse in question clearly showed three victories that the horse became a late scratch.

I sometimes wonder just how many times that similiar horses have raced and earned a piece of the the purse. If nobody is sharp enough to notice that the horse was ineligible in the first place and make a complaint, then I can only guess that the race is made official, the mutuel prices go up on the board, and the connections of the horse receive a check.