PDA

View Full Version : Track workout- worksheets

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Can anyone explain to me what worksheets are in relation to a track's workout, who makes and uses them, and for what? thank you!

rrbauer
04-19-2005, 04:20 AM
What is a track workout?

NoDayJob
04-19-2005, 12:59 PM
What is a track workout?

:D Isn't that where the horses stand around and watch the groundskeepers work? :D

NDJ

46zilzal
04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
What is a track workout?

that is when a track lifts weights and does cardio

46zilzal
04-19-2005, 01:49 PM
In ANY OTHER sport, just how much relevant information would one really get from analyzing a practice session other than the fact that the participants are healthy enough to work out? PRACTICE is not racing, not even close.

Figman
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
OK, I'll bite.
A trainer, that is also a good manager (and many are not), has all his or her employees on the same page in getting to their common goal....winning a race. In preparing their horses that are in various stages of fitness, each horses has to have an exercise program. Therefore the trainer or his designee (the stable foreman) prepares a "worksheet" that is usually posted for all employees of the stable to see and know their duties for the day and prepare their horses for whatever is expected of them.

delayjf
04-19-2005, 05:04 PM
In ANY OTHER sport, just how much relevant information would one really get from analyzing a practice session other than the fact that the participants are healthy enough to work out? PRACTICE is not racing, not even close

True workout are not races, but they are an indication of ability, just as speed / pace figures are an indications of ability.

46zilzal
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
True workouts are not races, but they are an indication of ability, just as speed / pace figures are an indications of ability.

What kind of ability insight does one get from three horses running 5 furlongs in the same time on the same day? It just tells us that these all have enough MINIMAL ability to run that under CONDITIONS WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AND they are running alone wihout the crowd noise and other competition. Worked in company? exercie riders often top 150 lbs. two, three off the rail? did they work before or after the break (only time the track is tilled), was there any equipment change? Who had the juice today? (no drug tests on workouts). There is no running line comment from the trackman to tell you what happened. A GREAT work could be only the SECOND half of a move that went in a slow 1:03, yet within that could be a monster move we know nothing about yet again. Most amazing work I ever witnessed was on a training track (real sharp turns) in the slop and the exercise rider lost an iron. To see the time (was 6th out of 30) would be just so so.

GO and watch sometime as a trainer, upwards of 150 lbs., works a horse under stiff restraint, 4 wide the whole work and then a simple claimer goes the same time under a "featherweight" apprentice huggging the rail the entire trip. I held many of these beliefs (as to how much a workout means) until I was up at 4:30 and watched many a nag go around the oval. Just look at the European style of conditioning (and that is mostly all it is) where the entire stable goes out on the gallops together. They don't (and rightly so) even time them because they do not relate to the contests down the road.

ALL they mean are that the horse is practicing and can do the work. Times are almost irrelevant

kenwoodallpromos
04-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Qualifying laps in auto racing should give hints as to race perfotmance.
I think all horses racing in ALW or claimers above $20,000.00 should have to meet certain workout times on the same circuit as they will be racing- 4f workouts for sprints to 7f, and 6f workouts for routes to get a 10% bonus in purse.

46zilzal
04-20-2005, 10:46 AM
What should be, and what is are really different. I would vote for qualifiers like harness horses have to enter, but then I am dreaming too.

Figman
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
That's just what the Fair Grounds had each year (non-betting schooling races) before being purchased by Churchill Downs, Inc. The bigger "progressive" Churchill Downs, Inc. discontinued those Fair Grounds schooling races prior to the 2004-05 Fair Grounds season.

46zilzal
04-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Qualifying laps in auto racing should give hints as to race perfotmance.

Not that is really irrelevant!

kenwoodallpromos
04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm answering your post. Im done.

CryingForTheHorses
04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
What kind of ability insight does one get from three horses running 5 furlongs in the same time on the same day? It just tells us that these all have enough MINIMAL ability to run that under CONDITIONS WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AND they are running alone wihout the crowd noise and other competition. Worked in company? exercie riders often top 150 lbs. two, three off the rail? did they work before or after the break (only time the track is tilled), was there any equipment change? Who had the juice today? (no drug tests on workouts). There is no running line comment from the trackman to tell you what happened. A GREAT work could be only the SECOND half of a move that went in a slow 1:03, yet within that could be a monster move we know nothing about yet again. Most amazing work I ever witnessed was on a training track (real sharp turns) in the slop and the exercise rider lost an iron. To see the time (was 6th out of 30) would be just so so.

GO and watch sometime as a trainer, upwards of 150 lbs., works a horse under stiff restraint, 4 wide the whole work and then a simple claimer goes the same time under a "featherweight" apprentice huggging the rail the entire trip. I held many of these beliefs (as to how much a workout means) until I was up at 4:30 and watched many a nag go around the oval. Just look at the European style of conditioning (and that is mostly all it is) where the entire stable goes out on the gallops together. They don't (and rightly so) even time them because they do not relate to the contests down the road.

ALL they mean are that the horse is practicing and can do the work. Times are almost irrelevant

You sound like an astute horseman (Dont know if you are?).You are very right on your assement on times, They also mean nothing to me unless my horse doesnt make a time in a workout, Workouts are to make your horse fit, but them long slow gallops build that stamina.You need to teach your horse how to sprint a 3/8 work before you can really ask him to do any more,As time goese on he will get that added distance as he gets fitter.Workouts also mean a lot to other trainers, just so they can brag.Im not a big believer in working a conditioned fit horse to death, Would rather see the work in a race where I get paid. For a horse that has never raced before, proper workouts and proper management for the young horse will hopefully make him a better horse in the years to come.