PDA

View Full Version : Good story

karlskorner
04-28-2002, 09:24 AM
www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20020427/3022779.asp

JimG
04-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Karl:

That was real enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

Jim

GR1@HTR
04-29-2002, 09:33 AM
Great story and how true it is...Kinda funny cause I am so hush hush about horse racing among non horse racing fans. Outside from my family, ex girlfriend and bbs posters, no one knows about my passion for horse racing. SMF has a great story about an a bump in with some former co-workers. Funny as sh*t, but also the sad truth about the publics perception of this great game. Maybe he will share it with the rest of you all.

smf
04-29-2002, 10:04 AM
GR1,

That chaos w/ Mike's (former co-worker) wife last year was odd. Kinda long, but have another one that's shorter.

December 2000 I was at the CU depositing a check from Ladbrokes. In line in front of me was my old M&T Engineer, a very nice lady. We exchanged hello's & Merry Christmas, etc, and she asks if I "left to work for Alcatel like everybody else". Told her what I did for a living, she didn't believe me.

I showed her the check I was about to deposit and she put a weird look on her face and said "well, my religion doesn't approve of that kind of thing". I laughed, hell it was funny.

The past year I've just told people that I am a "consultant" (remember that conversation?). That gets a far more respectable reception, lol.

tigers1901
04-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Karlskorner always has the "nose for news" as it were.Thanks for sending this link as well as all the great stories that you have dug out in the past.:cool:

JimG
04-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by smf

I showed her the check I was about to deposit and she put a weird look on her face and said "well, my religion doesn't approve of that kind of thing". I laughed, hell it was funny.

10-1 she has played the lottery before...and never gave a thought to her religious principles in doing so.

Jim

tanda
04-29-2002, 11:56 AM
Jim,

You sure are cynical.

Next thing you know, you will be accusing churchgoers of playing bingo!

anotherdave
04-29-2002, 12:19 PM
When I was about 20 I was working for a bank and had applied for a job with a different bank. The guy told me I had the job. Then a week later he sheepishly phoned me and said there was a problem. It turns out that on the application I (naively as I thought there was nothing wrong with it!) said that I wanted to go to a branch in or near a big city because my favourite hobby was horse racing. That made me toast from the boys at head office.

Best thing that ever happened as it turned out. Quit the other job and went back to college and did my thesis on horse race betting - funny the academics never thought it was a sin.

AD