PDA

View Full Version : Telemarkers are at it again!

so.cal.fan
04-17-2005, 02:13 PM
:mad:

They have started to call again....new gimmick.....recorded messages.
If you get these calls, don't hang up before you get the name of company and/or the phone number.

Click on to:https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
File a complaint. It's the only way we'll stop these pests!

cj
04-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Just do what I do here, say:

"Je ne parle pas anglais"

so.cal.fan
04-17-2005, 05:23 PM
:D

LOL

I prefer F O .

Tom
04-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I have a BIG police whislte.:eek:

gillenr
04-17-2005, 09:46 PM
If you get called by a real person & can spend the time - don't stop talking. Time is money to these dirtbags - I once had one going for 20 mins, but got bored.

Tom
04-17-2005, 09:48 PM
gillner...always a delight to banter with them....set them up, lay them down late after killing their sate. I love to try out new jokes on them.

so.cal.fan
04-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I sort of feel sorry for these people who have to work the phones.....they probably really need the work.....can you imagine the abuse they get?
I sure wouldn't do it for any salary.
Of course....if you're lucky enough to get Tom on the phone and hear jokes....that's better than watching Comedy Central! :D
I just want the company to go out of business, and sure would hope these poor suckers who do the calls might find a better job.

kenwoodallpromos
04-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I went to a boiler room once to see about a telemarketing job- all the civilians were told to impersonated cops because they were allowed to because the (sheriff's office) were getting a cut of the "charity".

kingfin66
04-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Alright, I'll add to the hijinx and tell you what I sometimes do. That Do Not Call Registry really cuts down on the action.

When the telemarketer calls, let him/her make their pitch. Tell them how interesting it sounds, then counter their offer. Don't just counter it, LOWBALL it to an extreme. They will tell you that they can't do it, etc, etc. Get into a discussion about how this is a business deal and business deals require negotiation. If necessary, go over their head. It's actually quite fun, but only if you have time as it really flusters the telemarketers. They often work with a script and are prepared for certain responses. They aren't prepared to have the sale turned around on them.

Option two: Act like you are drunk. They will think you're an easy mark. Be sure to act very, very belligerent. A well placed belch is an excellent touch. Then, to go really over the top, suggest that you need some more adult beverage and will they take an order.

Once upon a time I used to get very mad at telemarketers. Now, I just have fun.

kitts
04-18-2005, 01:28 PM
When I get the advance ring where the telemarketers dialing machine dials in anticipation I just press Star or Pound severall times. I have been told that terminates the call and blows your number out of their system.

BillW
04-18-2005, 01:35 PM
While the "do not call" lists are fairly effective, I have switched to using my cell phone for voice communication and use the landline as a data line only. My data line is chronically busy and does not have call waiting.

Problem solved!

Bill

BTW - yea I know dial-up ISP isn't much fun, but for the time being I live in the sticks - otherwise I would have DSL or completely drop landline service.

so.cal.fan
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Kitts?
I'm interested in your comment.
What do you mean by advance ring from their dialing machines?
Is that when you get a hesitation and then a recording?
I've been getting calls where it sounds if someone is on the line...then nothing....I was told this too, is telemarketers.
Thanks for the tip.....I'll sure try it!

Pace Cap'n
04-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I think the "advance ring" is where they have a machine call to see if anyone answers, and if they do, then a human calls.

They used to irritate the heck out of me. Then I met a bunch of them who were just trying to get by and didn't even really want to be doing it.

Here's what I do--they will invariably preface their remarks with "MR. or MRS. so-and-so". No one with whom I'm aquainted addresses me by "Mr.". So I just say "I'm sorry, they're not in. Can I take a message?"

That usually gets rid of them and allows them to move on. Should they persist, I interject with "Thanks, I'll tell them you called." And hang up.

cj
04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
I used to like to tell them, "Hold on, I'll go get him..." then just sit the phone down. I'd go back when I got around to it, never knew how long they waited.

I used to have a number very close to a 7-11, and you could order Pizza from them. People would sometimes call and place a pizza order. After awhile, I just started taking the order. I imagine they were none too happy when they got to the 7-11.

Suff
04-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Can't win with you folks..

First its the Freeloaders getting WIC in thier new SUV's
And then its the Welfare Queen's laughing to the bank

Then they go out and get a Job , and your not happy with that.

Why don't you take the dust of your checkbook and actually buy something!

I'm loving the internet. But its definately broadened by American Experience.

I have Isbets Going to Bat for Exxon and Mobil Oil... I have Lefty doing the Johhny Cochran for Wal-mart Corporation.....and now this. A Group BEAT DOWN of the poor slob trying to sell you some Patio furniture on a Saturday afternoon. Of which he/she probably earns $7.00 hour, and does it to put food on the table for the Kids.

Buy something ya cheapo's

I

Tom
04-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Suff, theses people are the hi tech version of the "squeegie people."
I never buy anything from some clod who thinks he has the right ot interupt my supper or a nap. They get what they deserve.

Zaf
04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Just do what I do here, say:

"Je ne parle pas anglais"

CJ,

You are just too polite, the proper response is :

Ostie de chris de tabarnac....! Calice ! xx@@####%%$$#%

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZAFONIC

kingfin66
04-18-2005, 11:39 PM
I have Isbets Going to Bat for Exxon and Mobil Oil... I have Lefty doing the Johhny Cochran for Wal-mart Corporation.....and now this. A Group BEAT DOWN of the poor slob trying to sell you some Patio furniture on a Saturday afternoon. Of which he/she probably earns $7.00 hour, and does it to put food on the table for the Kids.

Then there's the other, less noble, side of telemarketing: http://ww.fraudguides.com/telemarketing_scams.asp