PDA

View Full Version : AA Blows 'em Away

Lasix1
04-16-2005, 08:43 PM
The 69th running of the $1,000,000 Arkansas Derby is history and Afleet Alex made a believer out of everybody in this old spa city, blowing away the field by 8 lengths and making a mockery out of those doubters who came up with 19 different reasons why he had no chance.

Run in front of the second largest crowd in Arkansas Derby History under perfect weather, 71,110 watched as AA stalked the pace, pounced at the top of the stretch, and pulled away to the biggest length victory in Arkansas Derby history. Greater Good, the co-5/2 favorite, was a badly beaten 5th. Flower Alley ran second for Todd Pletcher, and Nick Zito's Andromeda's Hero was third. But from the quarter pole home, it was clear they were all running for minor awards, although with a million dollar purse, and graded stakes earnings on the line, even the minor awards were major.

Congrats to all on the board who didn't get off the AA train after his lung-infection induced collapse in the Rebel. You were amply rewarded today.

P.S. Those great Oaklawn oysters did it this time, SMTW! :)

JPinMaryland
04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
It was hard to be sure he would return to the old form. From TV it looked like he had wraps on all four legs. Does anyone think that a concern? Also what's with the jockey situation? THey asked the trainer about it, and he was like "errrh, aaahmmm, we'll see." Hardly an endorsement for Jeremy Rose.

Lasix1
04-16-2005, 09:42 PM
It was hard to be sure he would return to the old form. From TV it looked like he had wraps on all four legs. Does anyone think that a concern? Also what's with the jockey situation? THey asked the trainer about it, and he was like "errrh, aaahmmm, we'll see." Hardly an endorsement for Jeremy Rose.
JPin,
I forgot to mention that he did indeed run today with wraps on all fours, including those thick ones he's used in all of his Oaklawn appearances, including the impressive win in the 6f Mountain Valley in March where he set a new Stakes record.

Richey took Rose off AA after losing a couple of races he should have won last year, including the Breeder's Cup Juvenile. Rose was philosophical about it and they brought in John Valasquez from New York to ride him in the Rebel. After his lung-infection induced last place finish in that race, JV opted to ride Bandini in the Blue Grass today, so Richey put Rose back on AA. He certainly gave him a competent ride, although you or I (assuming we could stay on his back---a big assumption!) could have won on him today. He was a rocket. I'm anxious to see CJ's number for the race. Terry Wallace announced later that AA's final time was 1/5 of a second faster than Smarty Jones' Arkansas Derby win last year.

I presume Richey's close-to-the-vest response immediately after the race was simply a cautious one made before talking with the rest of the connections. If AA continues to improve, they should have no problem getting a big name rider to take the mount in the Derby. Rose is young and relatively inexperienced, and I think they would like a veteran of the Derby Trail to ride him in the big one.

Bubbles
04-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Great effort by Afleet Alex today. Flower Alley did NOT run a bad race by any stretch, and he got absolutely DECIMATED.

Houndog
04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
The only question was if AA could return after a bad race with a good excuse. What did it for me were the 2 workouts prior to the race. A mile workout in 1:40 and change and another solid workout at 4 furlongs. AA was not a cinch, but the odds were reasonable considering the risk involved.

Valuist
04-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Afleet Alex has bounce written all over him for the Derby. I'm playing against him.

Bobby
04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Afleet Alex has bounce written all over him for the Derby. I'm playing against him.

No I think that's Bellamy Rd. that bounces big.

Valuist
04-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Its possible that Bellamy Road could bounce....and still win.

Bobby
04-18-2005, 04:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken (I can't remember exactly), BR has been running Beyers in the 90s, then he suddenly jumps to 120. I know 3 yr olds improve with time, but such improvement unrealistic.

As for AA, I'm not so sure he bounces that much. He musta been real sick. He ran 106 beyer in 6f. BUT the ARK DERBY wuz the best race he's ever run by far imho. So you might be right.