PDA

View Full Version : Bay Meadows Spot Play

how cliche
04-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Armando Lage has two horses in today's 6th(ALWN1X for 4YO&UP, 1 mile on the turf). I'm going with the longer price. #5 Azarouak(IRE)12-1 M/L. This lightly raced 4yo bay colt has only gone postward 5 times amassing a 5(1-1-1) record. His 1 1/16 stateside debut was washed off the turf on March 5 and he ran last beaten 20+ lengths. "Hesitated, broke slow." I'm very willing to forgive that one.

All his races in Ireland were run at today's distance, where he carried between 113 and 133 pounds. Today he hauls 122. His final try there was in a handicap where he finished 7th of 18, but was defeated only 1 1/4 lengths, "Finished well."

His breeding is better than the rest of his rivals today. He's by Danehill. He's out of an Irish River mare named My Potters, who according to 'A Closer Look' produced a Group 1 winning half sister(name not disclosed).

There was a workout on April 6th which was unusually quick for a Lage. 7f in 1:25&4, compared to his normal 1:28 and change. The real kicker on the tab is that Lage put in the classic Lage winning 3f blowout 3 days before the race. I've set my watch to this drill in the past and am willing to do it again, especially following the 7f notice server. Azarouak should be feeling great and ready to put in a winning performance this afternoon.

Tony Farina is up. He's in town to pilot Jill's Sky earlier in the BM Oaks. He's the drawback. He deservedly has inherrited bad karma since recklessly ending Laffit Pincay's career. He's 2 for 41 this year. Russell better watch out.

To sum him up;
This is his ideal distance and surface.
He's the best bred.
His tab lines up well with past Lage winners.
I forgive the dirt US debut.
I'm concerned about Tony Farina.

Azarouak to win.

how cliche
04-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Can you say "last", because thats where he finished. Was hammered by bettors to the point where he was barely playable. The coolest part of his story came after the race today.

You shoulda seen the toungue lashing Armando Lage laid on Tony Farina. He was YELLING at him. He was gesturing with his whole body as if Farina rode him 180 degrees opposite of how he was instructed. Tony was actually cowering away from Lage. Made me laugh.