PDA

View Full Version : New Stars Shine on Trail

DerbyTrail
04-13-2005, 09:35 AM
From Derby Trail: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/derbytrail (http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/derbytrail)

The weekend saw three Derby Trail preps that upon reflection made me recall summer evenings at an observatory on Cape Cod that I frequented as a kid during our family stays at Mashnee Village. Through the telescopes, you could marvel at far off worlds, configure constellations, or and watch stars dash across the sky. All the while your imagination including your 10 year old self as the newest Gemini astronaut.

If the allusion is lost on you at first, a glance at the charts from Saturday's Wood Memorial and the Derbies at IL and Santa Anita should clarify. After all, at Hawthorne we witnessed a romp by Greeley's 'Galaxy' and Aqueduct introduced the racing world to a "supernova" in George Steinbrenner's Bellamy Road. How does the winner at Arcadia fit into this allegorical celestial trifecta you ask? The observatory on the Cape was at Buzzards Bay, namesake community for the blaze-adorned chestnut colt!

"A supernova is a type of stellar explosion which appears to result in the creation of a new star upon the celestial sphere." Could there be a better definition of Bellamy Road after a Wood performance so dominant that it rolled the calendar back to the halcyon days of a triumphant triumvirate of Eddie Maple, Lucien Laurin and Meadow Stable. It was their Riva Ridge in the 1973 Stuyvesant Handicap who last circumnavigated the Jamaica oval in precisely 107 seconds, as Nick Zito's son of Concerto did Saturday under a giddy Javy Castellano becoming the first irrefutable star of the Class of '05.

While the wire to wire effort shocked every other member of the field, which was left littered 17-40 lengths behind Bellamy Road, it also stunned Zito. Already flush with a barnful of top Derby contenders, Zito was hard-pressed to answer the media's barrage of questions about an effort that may arguably have been the most impressive April run ever by a three year old. Bellamy Road joins stablemates High Fly and Noble Causeway, 1-2 in last week's Florida Derby, as Zito Derby starters, while Sun King (Blue Grass) and Andromeda's Hero (AK Derby) look to successfully finalize their preparations Saturday.

The speed figure makers have been busy since Saturday afternoon utilizing computer, sliderule and abacus to establish a performance mark for Bellamy Road's run over an Aqueduct strip that was clearly faster than par. How much faster is the core of the debate, and the tricky winds in Queens have added to the complexity of the issue. Bellamy Road received a 120 Beyer Speed Figure for the run, a number that would be outstanding for an older horse in a Breeders Cup Classic. A typical winning Beyer in the Derby ranges from 107-112. At .5 length per Beyer point, that would mean a repeat effort by Bellamy Road at Churchill would best most Derby winners by 4-7 lengths.

No matter how fast the Aqueduct surface was, and no matter what anyone thinks about also-rans Survivalist, Scrappy T, Galloping Grocer Naughty New Yorkers, Pavo and Going Wild, the only conclusion that can be drawn from Bellamy Road's stakes record romp is that it was a sight to behold. While he likely will arrive at Louisville as one of the top 2 choices, depending on Saturday's outcomes. There is no need to address whether he can run back to Saturday's performance right now. There will be three weeks to do that after the contests in Lexington and Hot Springs this weekend. For now, it is simply best to look up at the sky and recognize a welcome new heavenly body.

It took Bellamy Road that 1:47.0 to turn a group of entrants that had won seven stakes between them into the same over-matched allowance foes he had crushed by 15 lengths a month earlier at Gulfstream. Scrappy T (Withers next), Galloping Grocer, Naughty New Yorker and Pavo will remain now in the Empire State to lick their wounds. Runner up Survivalist, who at least attempted to close, may still go to the Derby depending on what McGaughey and Phipps see transpire the next two weeks. Going Wild, last and more dreadful as the co-favorite than could be believed, will most likely come back in the Lexington according to D. Wayne Lukas. While we don't know what caused Rick Dutrow to scratch Byanosejoe from the race, it turned out to be the smartest move of the day.

NBC Sports, which provided the prep coverage, continued to become the "Discovery" channel Saturday as another new celestial form was unveiled minutes after the Wood. At Hawthorne, Greeley's Galaxy turned in a run that would ordinarily garner the kind of headlines that Bellamy Road received. While he faced a less accomplished group of sophomores in the Illinois Derby, he also was nearly as dominant, motoring away from seven foes a pole from the wire to win by almost 10 lengths in 1:49.3. The Mr. Greeley chestnut, from prominent California owner B. Wayne Hughes and the Stutes, was making his stakes debut at Cicero, and copped his third straight while earning a 106 Beyer, his fourth increased fig in a row.

Unfortunately for Hughes, who was fourth in the Derby in 2003 with Atswhatimtalknbout, Greeley's Galaxy had slipped through Triple Crown nomination process and now has to be supplemented to the Derby for $200,000. But even that lofty fee, two-thirds of his IL Derby winnings, doesn't guarantee him a spot in the field May 7. Horses nominated by even the late March deadline receive priority in the entry box over horses that are supplemented, even if they don't have as much in graded stakes earnings. The rule was instituted several years ago as part of the graded stakes entry priority overhaul.

Several owners, whose horses would be pulling ice wagons in an earlier age, were entering the Derby through the supplement process just to be in the race, and Churchill officials needed a way to exclude the riff-raff. This is the first time that a deserving candidate has been caught in the crossfire of the system. And while several people have decried the process as unfair to Hughes and Greeley's Galaxy, the experienced owner had two weeks after the chestnut's March 10 allowance win to file $6,000 late nomination paperwork. While Hughes has said it was a "clerical error", it is much more likely that he had figured his Don't Get Mad would be the horse wearing his orange and purple blocks on Derby Day. He may yet make the field.

Of the pursuers in the Illinois, Monarch Lane, Magna Graduate and Rikman followed Greeley's Galaxy home to little effect, while Kansas City Boy played the role of Going Wild chasing early and then stopping badly to finish last. Pletcher's Monarch Lane continues to advance his career, and can move forward black-type placed in only his third start and first stakes try. Pat Byrne had been hoping to return to the Churchill spotlight with Magna Graduate, and the Honor Grades Battaglia winner is certainly a useful sort. He has now finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in graded company, and is likely to win a couple along the way. Both have just over $100,000 in graded stakes earnings to this point, and either or both could make the Derby "on points" if injuries and defections thin out 3-4 other hopefuls.

To end the day, Jeff Mullins got the last laugh on everyone at Santa Anita after a winter of humiliation, controversy and discord. The embattled trainer watched as his Buzzards Bay erased all traces of a Fairgrounds February fiasco with a near gate to wire score at 30-1 in Arcadia's august Derby. The handsome Marco Bay red with the wide blaze down his face had looked like a good thing when taking the Gr. III Golden Gate Derby in January, before a wide trip 10th in Scipion's Risen Star made him appear to be another San Francisco flash in the pan.

But "BB" righted his Derby ship in the Gr. III El Camino Real in March with a game third from a wide berth behind Uncle Denny and Wannawinemall, and confirmed his class Saturday with another plus effort from a poor post. Though closely pursued by General John B, Wilko and Giacomo at the finish, 2 lengths covering the superfecta, Buzzards Bay continued to display admirable racehorse traits: versatility and resilience. He has won on the pace and from off it, and though not the fastest colt in the crop, looks like a horse not afraid to "mix it up".

The win was a sweet retribution for Mullins who has endured embarrassing scrutiny and penalties by the CHRB under new rules and testing for "milkshaking" violations. More than just vindicating the trainer, who won his third straight Santa Anita Derby (Castledale, Buddy Gil), the race results turned a glaring hot spotlight in another direction entirely thanks to the performance of even money favorite Sweet Catomine. The juvenile filly Champion was a non-threatening fifth under Corey Nakatani, whose comments about her "dull, sedated" demeanor before and during the race has ignited a hideous controversy which has already claimed trainer Julio Canani and threatens to mar owner Marty Wygod's future as an owner.

Wygod, who doesn't seem to know when to talk and when to clam up, pulled horses from Canani this week after "revelations" about Sweet Catomine bleeding during a pre-race workout, having a slight hoof injury and being "in season" during the week. Wygod said after the race that he endured a difficult time leading up to the Derby deciding whether or not scratch Sweet Catomine, and claimed he "felt he shouldn't have run". Astonishing elements of the story include the filly being spirited under cover of night from the Santa Anita grounds mid-week, passed off as a "saddle pony" to security, for treatment at a clinic in a hyperbolic chamber.

We cannot begin to get into all the elements of this story, except to say that while Wygod was quick to try to pin the blame for the situation on Canani, everyone, including the investigating CHRB, sees through that. Here is the link to Seth Merrow's Equidaily.com to follow the entire mess adequately: http://www.equidaily.com (http://www.equidaily.com/) .

Between Sweet Catomine and Buzzards Bay, were a trio of colts mentioned above, that will be going on to the Derby. And they all ran well. Wilko, still working through quarter crack issues, was particularly game given a dreadful trip by Frankie Dettori from the most extreme starting berth. The BC Juvenile winner and fourth place Giacomo came home faster than the winner and runner up, and both have a near to mid-pack stalking-closing styles that could play well in the rose run. Giacomo just refuses to go away, and while our top selection in the race failed to find the winner's circle in a fourth straight stake, he proved once again that he demands play wherever he runs.

Buzzards Bay won't want to be part of what is sure to be a hot Derby pace, but he continues to improve. Runner up General John B responded to the tutelage of Jon Court, who we recall praised the colt as a good one after Turf Paradise Derby. Jose Santos faded with the dark bay son of Sweetsouthernsaint in the Fountain of Youth, but Roger Stein's gelding now gets a chance to go to Louisville if owner Ross McLeod cares to go. The biggest disappointment to us in the Derby was Don't Get Mad's inability to get involved at all. In only his fourth career start, he finished third just half a length behind Giacomo in Consolidator's runaway San Felipe. We had hoped the Stephen Got Even bay would move forward off that effort, but lacked any rally here to split the field 6th. We also hoped for better from lovable Wannawinemall...

BLUE GRASS, AK DERBY, LEXINGTON ROUND OUT THE DERBY FIELD

Two tremendous preps are scheduled Saturday when the prestigious $1,000,000 Gr. I Blue Grass and Gr. II AK Derby go, providing the chance to confirm at least one or two more glistening glowers in our Derby Milky Way. At Keeneland, High Limit, Consolidator and Sun King tangle in the Blue Grass, while Bandini looks to get into the Derby with a placement. Mr. Sword and Spanish Chestnut (believe it or not), add intrigue to the short, but elite field.

At Oaklawn, a big group is expected with Afleet Alex and Greater Good headlining. But Flower Alley and Wild Desert (Lane's End 1-2); Cat Shaker (Rushaway winner); Andromeda's Hero (Zito prospect #5) and Closing Argument (Fountain winner) make this contentious. In addition, Rush Bay, Real Dandy, Canteen and Batson Challenge all are expected to make bids.

More on these two vital events after the draws Wednesday...

DERBY FIELD PREVIEW

By now you have to be eager to know what horses to expect for the 131st Kentucky Derby. Here's a projected lineup including the horses who are looking to get in with big efforts in the final three prep races:

1. Blues and Royals $1,200,000
2. Wilko $1,004,515
3. High Fly $796,500
4. Afleet Alex $645,000 (AK DERBY)
5. Consolidator $609,750 (BLUE GRASS)

6. Bellamy Road $570,000
7. Buzzards Bay $480,000
8. Sun King $365,000 (BLUE GRASS)
9. Greater Good $361,344 (AK DERBY)
10. High Limit $360,000 (BLUE GRASS)

11. Flower Alley $300,000 (AK DERBY)
12. (Possible starter) Survivalist $240,000
13. Rockport Harbor $235,700
14. Noble Causeway $190,000
15. Giacomo $184,300

(Plans uncertain) Storm Surge $182,640
15. General John B $150,000
16. Wild Desert $131,320 (AK DERBY)
17. Spanish Chestnut $124,000 (BLUE GRASS)
18. Magna Graduate $106,700
19. Monarch Lane $100,000
20. Closing Argument $90,000 (AK DERBY)

Bandini $60,000 (BLUE GRASS)
Mr. Sword $50,000 (BLUE GRASS)
Actxecutive $51,280 (LEXINGTON)
Real Dandy $48,000 (AK DERBY)
Going Wild $47,500 (LEXINGTON ?)
Rush Bay $44,640 (AK DERBY)
Batson Challenge $25,000 (AK DERBY)
Andromeda's Hero $15,000 (AK DERBY)
Malibu Moonshine $3,000 (LEXINGTON ?)
Cat Shaker $0 (AK DERBY)
Sort It Out $0 (LEXINGTON)
Canteen $0 (AK DERBY)

(Not guaranteed entry) Greeley's Galaxy $300,000

TOOZ
04-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Very nicely done. Yours are the only long posts that I can read from beginning to end.

grahors
04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Derb,
Who do you professionally write for? If not, why not? I do hope it is in the horse arena. Thank you so much for jump starting my weekend. I generally scan I generally scan read. Not your threads. I can't get enough! Thanks again!
Grahors

Suff
04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
From Derby Trail: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/derbytrail (http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/derbytrail)

Told yea!

JPinMaryland
04-14-2005, 04:12 PM
can someone explain the Greeley's Galaxy situation more? What has to happen for him to get in?

It says that other horses have priority but how exactly? Does that mean Malibu Moonshine w/ $3000 would take priority over him? How does the priority work? Everyone who was nominated prior to the march deadline gets in before Greeley? Something else? help!

depalma13
04-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Any horse that is nominated either originally or during the supplemental period gets in before Greeley's Galaxy. Stakes money earned does not apply in his case. The connections needs 19 or fewer horses to be entered for GG to get in. If it is a full field, even if one of the horses has $0 in graded stakes earnings, that horse gets in before GG.

kingfin66
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Just when I think that Derby Trail has peaked he hits us with this. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be published. Keep it coming Steve, keep it coming.

DerbyTrail
04-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Derb, Who do you professionally write for? If not, why not? I do hope it is in the horse arena. Thank you so much for jump starting my weekend. I generally scan I generally scan read. Not your threads. I can't get enough! Thanks again!Grahors

GraHors,

Thx for the kind words (and everyone else's as well).. I've gotten some stringer work for Blood-Horse and have had some minor things in DRF. I also wrote an extensive historical piece about the Derby for a California lifestyle mag last year. Seth at EquiDaily uses my features as Guest House Commentaries regularly too.. I also do the racing analysis for Team 990 AM in Montreal. I had a shot at getting signed on by DRF's Lex office in Fall '03, but have otherwise had no luck landing a FT gig scribing in the racing trade.

Believe me, no one who has a job writing about racing wants to leave it! I was hoping to launch Derby Trail as a web site by this month, but have been delayed a touch. I'm hopeful it all will all pan out and I'll be able to devote full time to it soon. I wrote and broadcast sports between 1976-82, and have delayed my re-entry into it 20 years by stupidly having a career as a marketing consultant.

Hope you'll join Derby Trail.. There's tons of good historical perspectives (my favorite stuff to do) in the archives. If you just enjoy race writing in general, here are links to a couple of timeless pieces Iyou might enjoy:

Minor Philly Stake Evokes Memories
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DerbyTrail/message/162

Derby Week a Flood of Tears
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DerbyTrail/message/96

Most Bitter Crown Misses Feature History's Best
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DerbyTrail/message/415

Racing's Year That Was, Always Is
http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/guest/2004/41231.html

rastajenk
04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, keep it up, because getting read electronically seems to be the way to go these days.

For a couple years I've been amused by the notion of starting a racing blog, because I really haven't seen anything equivalent in the general blogosphere. (I did come across one by a poster at Thor.Times msg board, but I haven't looked for it since.) And the motivation for it has been seeing regular people in the political and general-interest portion of the Blogging Machine, as Dan Rather called it, become sought after for opinion and influence by the mainstream media. It's the new-age foot-in-the-door. The reason I haven't done it is because I'm too lazy to face the commitments in time and energy needed to maintain it. Last year during Smartymania would have been an ideal time to get something rolling, but alas, it did not happen.

When you look around the real, outside (that is, non-racing) world, you see the dynamics between citizen-journalists and professional journalists changing and evolving all the time. And these influential "bloggers" aren't geniuses, or wholly original, or original at all; they merely articulated existing positions on a variety of issues in a way that resonates with a lot of equally cyberly-astute observers.

I think there's a place in the electonic racing world for a voice of the soul of the game to be heard, and I have magnanimously assumed for a while that I could fill that role, and enjoy the celebrity that follows. :faint: But regardless, it seems like a big void is out there waiting to be filled, by competition, of course, not just the race to be first. It's not as if racing's highest-profile writers at the moment are getting compared to the all-time greats. I don't think Joe Hirsch was the soul of the game, but he reported it well. Keene Dangerfield was for a long time. Joe Palmer. Stan Bergman in the harness world might qualify.

Of course, before one gets to hand down Important Opinions, one must establish some street cred in handicapping and overall awareness of the game day-to-day. When Gary West got canned by the Dallas paper recently and was in between gigs, I thought he would make a good blogger; but going from established columnist-to-blogger wouldn't be as rewarding as going from established nobody-to-blogger/pundit.

Some successful blogs are group efforts. I often read comments on the various boards and wonder if this or that particularly articulate poster would be interested in joining such a venture.

So keep promoting yourself on the Internet, Trail-dude; thinking beyond the traditional racing media is probably the best way to travel for the near future. It's a brave new world.