PDA

View Full Version : Virus Attacks

Dave Schwartz
04-26-2002, 05:46 PM
Is anyone else experiencing the high level of virus activity (w32.klez.gen@mm) like I am today?

I have received 13 emails with this virus today!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2002, 06:05 PM
I received one or two emails the last few days with something that said it combats this virus (w32klez somthing or other). I simply discarded it without opening it.....is this what you're talking about??

==PA

JimG
04-26-2002, 06:46 PM
My computer had the virus and it got into about 20 of my .exe files. I apologize to anyone that got e-mail with my name on it that got this virus.

I am crossing my fingers that I have the problem fixed.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
04-26-2002, 08:45 PM
PA,

That's the one.

Surprisingly, much of it appears to be attached to spam.

I have been hit 4 or 5 more times since I posted that first message.

Make sure your virus defs are up to date.

Dave

andicap
04-28-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm safe, but it turns out a message from Dave saying "cool flash" or something like that had a virus that Norton was able to wipe out.
Did you send me something Dave or was our evil worm at work?

Yikes!

Dave Schwartz
04-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Andy,

It appears that someone who has the virus sends out emails but they appear to be from someone else. At least that is what I have gathered.

Dave

JustRalph
04-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Saturday at the Tech Support Call center I supervise we fielded tons of calls on this virus. It is literally all over the country and world. One of my techs received it from a friend in Italy.....its a mess.

A removal tool is available from Norton Anti virus at:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html

BillW
04-30-2002, 04:08 PM
For those interested ... a short discussion on the recent virus.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52174,00.html

BTW, some misinformation was posted regarding this virus.

1) A firewall will have no effect on a virus. That is not its purpose. (unless you are not running via an ISP POP account and a virus source IP address is blocked on the smtp port an unlikely occurance and ineffective tool for blocking viruses).

2) A virus cannot be clever enough to probagate via a properly designed e-mail client. A 12 year old can write a virus to probagate via an e-mail client designed to allow it. Those who choose to use those e-mail clients need to be extremely careful.

Bill